What's new

Wow! - how things have changed.and maybe not so.

No problem, firstly it causes dry skin, which causes irritation, which was part of my problem. However, it also caused me itching under my arms, which seemed to react badly to anti-perspirants, so I had to stick to deodorants instead. I noticed that whenever I stopped smoking (I attempted many times) the under-arm irritation went away. Vaping has enabled me to stop smoking, dry skin sorted, under-arm irritation gone. I think it's a combination of dry skin and chemicals from the smoke reacting to other compounds in certain products. That's my theory anyway, all I know is that stopping smoking cured it all, Vape instead if you can, it's much better all round.

Thanks. I don't have the itching but I certainly have dry skin. I'll give that a try again. I have a vape, just didn't take the last time.

Thanks. I don't have the itching but I certainly have dry skin. I'll give that a try again. I have a vape, just didn't take the last time.

Stick with the Vape, it's different, takes a bit of time ( a few days ) but it's worth it. I'll wager smoking is causing your dry skin, or is certainly making it worse.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
10. Feathers are still the kings when it comes to subcutaneous level shaves.

12. You could have a different Merkur razor for every day of the year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Mitchells woolfat is still the best soap ever - it's a scientific fact, like gravity.

25. Still not enough people appreciate the Aristocrat - the gold standard of DE razors - honest guv.

Hear, hear!

Thank you for the insight and perspective. Welcome to your return!

Stick with the Vape, it's different, takes a bit of time ( a few days ) but it's worth it. I'll wager smoking is causing your dry skin, or is certainly making it worse.

Besides my skin my lungs could sure use a break! I've had my vape for a couple years now and tried completely switching over several times. So far I keep finding myself picking up the cigg over the vape, but hey, when at first you don't succeed...

Besides my skin my lungs could sure use a break! I've had my vape for a couple years now and tried completely switching over several times. So far I keep finding myself picking up the cigg over the vape, but hey, when at first you don't succeed...

Visualise that dry skin disappearing and increasing your lung capacity/efficiency - that'll do it :001_smile

Welcome back Tony. I'm to hear you decided to give it another run. I couldn't imagine going back to how I used to do it.

Thanks, it was kind of forced upon me really, my skin just became too sensitive to stand it, fortunately that has gone now.

I'm still looking forward to giving this a try someday.

It's a rite of passage, you're not fully qualified until it's done :001_smile

Just like wet shaving, your gear influences whether you stick with vaping or cast it aside as ineffectual.

I'd respectfully suggest you visit the E-Cigarette Forum for lots of useful info regarding the selection of vaping devices.

Synthetic brushes have changed a lot since when you were here before. Not the same beasts at all.

Polsiver SIs and the old Super Iridiums are indistinguishable; if nobody told you what the blade was, you would not be able to tell them apart.

PermaSharp Supers are great blades but they come in two different packages; if you buy the wrong one you'll end up with a blade that worse than a Dorco.

1. Synthetic brushes are the work of Beelzebub, that kind of talk is dangerous where I live.

2. Not in my razor they aren't, I have both - YMMV.

3. I bought my Permasharps where they are sold the most years ago - Turkey, hardly anyone had heard of them, never had a bad one yet.

Just like wet shaving, your gear influences whether you stick with vaping or cast it aside as ineffectual.

I'd respectfully suggest you visit the E-Cigarette Forum for lots of useful info regarding the selection of vaping devices.

I have an e-go twist, it's not the fanciest thing out there but it works fine. I'm not interested in replacing it, but thanks for the suggestion. Own your gear, don't let it own you.

I have an e-go twist, it's not the fanciest thing out there but it works fine. I'm not interested in replacing it, but thanks for the suggestion. Own your gear, don't let it own you.

That's good to hear. Doesn't matter what gear it is, as long as it works for you.

Stick with it.

I got into the whole DE shaving thing a full 9 years ago, just when it was starting to become popular again. To cut a long story short I gave it up due to skin issues and went over to the dark side of electric shaving ( I know I know...), which did work for me, to a point. Well I found out was causing my problem, which, believe it or not, was smoking. Since I have quit cigarettes, and totally by chance, I tried DE shaving again, out of curiosity and a desire to enjoy shaving once more. Well my skin problems have gone and the whole DE thing has opened up for me again. Fortunately, and due to a hatred of waste and being a bit of a hoarder I had kept quite a bit of my stuff, my Simpsons Brush, a few razors ( including my much loved Aristocrats ) and a few soaps. So I was already kitted out ready to go, including blades.

So to the crux of my post - wow! DE shaving is really big business now and how things have changed. Here are the things I've noticed since my 6 year sojourn, some things have changed massively, some have stayed the same:

1. People love Bolzano blades - they were the pits before, obviously being made differently now.
2. People still hate Merkur blades.
3. People still love and hate Arko ( I can now actually use it whereas I couldn't before - it's ok for me, neither love it nor hate it, it's just different, I've been in enough public toilets to appreciate the smell)
4. Swede's are now long gone, so are Iridiums unfortunately, though I have few left ( Tried Polsilvers, a bit harsh for me)
5. I now like and use Derby's, hated them before, I learned you need to break them in.
6. There so many new smaller businesses making soaps, balms etc great to see.
7. Old school razors are much rarer now.
8. I thought DE blades would wither and die, they haven't, still plenty of choice.
9. Proraso have gone beserk - loads of new stuff available, love their new shaving creams in the tubes, great price too.
10. Feathers are still the kings when it comes to subcutaneous level shaves.
11. The choice of different razors has simply exploded - though old school are still the best for me.
12. You could have a different Merkur razor for every day of the year.
13. You still can't obtain Gentlemans Refinery AS balm in the UK - damn shame, it's the best there is by a mile.
14. People now like synthetic brushes - that's just depraved IMHO.
15. Mitchells woolfat is still the best soap ever - it's a scientific fact, like gravity.
16. An American made blade is highly rated - ***? how did that happen? ( I've ordered some, I'll get back to you ).
17. People now know about Permasharp, the best kept secret in the blade world.
18. People still think aggressive adjustable razors are the way to go *sigh* let's not go there.....
19. Cartridge razors still suck ( and always will - unless you're bacteria ).
20. Parabens are out.
21. Paraben Soap nostalgia is in.
22. Everyone still loves TOBs creams.
23. Tabac isn't so popular anymore.
24. "Reformulation" is a dirty word.
25. Still not enough people appreciate the Aristocrat - the gold standard of DE razors - honest guv.
26. This is still the busiest and best forum.

So like I said, many things have changed, some things haven't. I thought modern DE shaving was a bit of a fad (It never was for me to be honest), clearly it isn't, I'm glad to see it's even more popular than ever and I'm glad to be back in the saddle again, my skin has never felt better :)

I think that's pretty close to my experience over the past five years.

Welcome back, and I definitely appreciate the aristocrat. Enough so that I've acquired 12 of them in the last two months. Those who don't are more than welcome to to send me theirs. Also I'm happy that I discovered perma-sharp blades. They're one of my favorites.

Top Bottom