What's new

Would You Wear ....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For outdoor work (non-company) is what I was thinking about. Different hats for different tasks. That's why I don't wear my white Panamas while cutting grass.
I wore my blue checked pajama bottoms out to walk the dog the other day. I think they can pass for chef's pants. So dont take much fashion advice from me.

I wore my blue checked pajama bottoms out to walk the dog the other day. I think they can pass for chef's pants. So dont take much fashion advice from me.

Funny. I have a pair. Haven't been out in them, but they are popular around here. I remember curlers were popular on Saturday mornings.

Update:

Evening yard work. Old straw "lifeguard hat." Nice and breezy through the vents, but hot as rip at the crown. I'd all but dismissed pith helmets until then.

A pith helmet simply would not suit this old guy!

Plus, the main reason to wear a hat in this area is to keep off the Pacific NW rain.

A pith/sun helmet. Seriously. I wear a wide brim straw hat in the summer, but the large vents in the side and no hair = sunburn, and the straw doesn't do well in the rain. You can still get the real deal, but most are pressed fiber or plastic.

Supposedly, those with side vents and a vent button and suspension system allow air to circulate around your head. OTOH, I've worn hard hats enough to know that while they're cold in the winter, they aren't cool in the summer. That makes me dubious.

The real issue, though, is I don't know if I would wear one out in public. I know two men who do, both older than me, but they've done so for decades and isn't thought unusual for them. But for myself, I have the feeling of the somewhat dated connotation of big game hunter, and several orders of magnitude into the wanna-be zone. I don't wear an "Indy" style fedora for the same reason.

What's your take? Would you wear a pith/sun helmet?
growing up I had a neighbor who wore one to work in the yard.

A pith helmet simply would not suit this old guy!

Plus, the main reason to wear a hat in this area is to keep off the Pacific NW rain.

Have, more than once, donned my hard hat just to keep the rain off while walking between buildings. We use the full brim type.

Was looking through Lee Valley's spring catalog today and they have a hat called an adventure sun hat, also comes in a waterproof version. Dark or light grey for colours.

proxy.php

Adventure Sun Hat - Lee Valley Tools
dave

I have a Tilley Airflow LTM6 and their Airflow Wide Brim (LTM2). I love them both, although the LTM6 is my favorite. It works better when the wind is up. The LTM2 is nice in bright sun on a low wind day. They both work best when there is at least a mild breeze. With the Airflow, it is important to get a loose fitting hat so the air can flow and cause evaporation. Let gravity hold the hat in place when the wind is modest, or the conveniently stowable straps if the wind is high. Tilley has a sizing page and a brief sizing video here.

I was about to buy one when I came across a reference to the problem of heat build up in the things. That sounds very much like my experience with hard hats.

Top Bottom