What's new

Would you visit a barber shop in another country?

I was stationed in Turkey courtesy of the USAF 1972 -1974, as pharmacy officer in a very small hospital supporting a major NATO headquarters. Most of our facilities were located in leased buildings downtown in a rather nicer area of town. I quickly learned to use the little barber shop across the corner that I could actually see from our pharmacy window. By the time I hit the front door of the hospital I could be in the barber shop in less than a minute. What I really enjoyed was the hand powered clippers as opposed to the electric whir of clippers at the px shop. I could not speak much Turkish, and the barber was not very good in English, but we all got along well, and had a good time. I was rather young at the time and never thought of trying a shave, looking back I wish I had.

When I came to Japan, I had trouble finding a barber. In Japan, there are hair salons on nearly every corner, so for my first haircut I went to the nearest place. Big mistake. I was the first foreigner who had ever sat in this "stylist's" chair, and he was so nervous he was sweating. He really botched the job, and still had the nerve to ask me to pay 5000 yen.

Now I go to QB House, which is a chain of barber shops around Japan, they charge 1080 yen, and do a quick and clean job.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Maybe, just maybe in London for a SR shave.

But I kind of doubt it. If I'm in another country that means I'm on vacation. And that also means I got a haircut before I left.
But besides the haircut before I left...no I very likely wouldn't go to a barber because I'm on vacation!

I think in other countries that SR shaves at barbershops are rather common. I'd try it in a skinny minute.

Beerman

I pretty much had to, when I was deployed to Iraq. Best part was a good number of the barbers were Turkish/Pakistani. Got the full tilt cut, head massage and flaming cotton ball. AAFES (I assume) wouldn't let them shave us.

I pretty much had to, when I was deployed to Iraq. Best part was a good number of the barbers were Turkish/Pakistani. Got the full tilt cut, head massage and flaming cotton ball. AAFES (I assume) wouldn't let them shave us.
Same here. Good haircuts, those guys gave. I think many of them were Bangladeshi, but Pakistan, former East Pakistan, same thing.

Have a buddy who got full haircut and sr shave in Oman, said it was really enjoyable.

I will be spending a lot more of my future time in the middle east and I plan to find a cheap full service barber and shave place everywhere I go.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have heard nothing but bad things from you guys who get a shave in the USA. So I will have prejudice toward all except Turkish barbers. They are the best. I would get a shave in Turkey.

Haircut; Yes, I would get one in any foreign country, I reckon.

I was in Afghanistan in 2004-2005 with the military. I had a unique job that allowed me to grow my hair out and a beard. I was on the western side of the country near Iran. My hair and beard were a bit wild to put it mildly and I while I was out and about I decided to stop into a local barber (not on a base). Got a pretty decent hair cut and beard trim. Should I have? Probably not. Do I regret it...nope.

Don

When I was stationed in Japan in the 80's all the base barber's were Japanese. They gave excellent hair cuts, and at the end of the cut you got a 15 second shoulder massage that made me want to fall asleep right on the spot!

Top Bottom