What's new

Would you recommend this razor?

All, I'm pretty new to this, but you guys have me convinced to try straight razors. I really like the looks of this one, and it's in my price range. Would you suggest this for me?

Also, it would appear the scales are ivory. Would you agree?

A93A6235_1000x.jpg

Maybe I'll hold off and learn a bit more. Probably better than choosing just by looks. Thanks.

It's a nice razor. Would I pay $150 for it? Umm, maybe. That implies that I wouldn't use it but rather stick it in a box to look at it, and maybe resell it when the price goes up.

Thank you for your insight guys. I will probably wait until one of the members here is selling something I like.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good vintage straight razors are available on eBay auctions for bargain prices as well as for serious money. If you are willing to learn a bit about how to buy a good razor and if you're willing to spend some time looking you can find bargains.

1-27-19.Honed.Boker.Kukri.640.JPG

$10 - $20 + shipping of $3- $5, but you have to put in some time and do some homework.

It's very satisfying to find a nice vintage razor. Sometimes they have to be cleaned and/or polished. Sometimes they need to be honed.

The razors in the photo cost me $13.50 and $12.50 plus shipping.

2-6-19.Boots.GD.Manchurian.640.JPG

This razor, used this morning, cost me a bit under twenty bucks.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with buying much more expensive (and maybe much nicer) vintage razors, brand new razors, and custom made razors that cost a house payment. All I'm saying is you have options.

I'm not the best bargain hunter I know of either.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If your looking to dip your toe into straights the you could also go the route of Larry and whipped dog and get a sight unseen razor at a reasonable price. You will also have the added bonus of having it shave ready from when it hits your hands. Its a cheapest route to take and you would be getting a razor honed by a great guy and is always reachable if you have a question.

Larry

Thanks guys! @totorlekiller has actually been helping me behind the scenes. He identified a nice setup for me on eBay and I ended up purchasing it. I will post photos when it gets here.

Here is what I ended up with. LeCoultre complete seven-day set in ivory. I'm obsessed with all things Swiss, so this was a great choice for me. Thanks again @totorlekiller for the help!

IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

Thanks guys... From what I can tell the box says:

Rasoira
7 lames
DE Jaques
LeCoultre
Au Sentier

And the sticker inside says:

Fabrique de coutellerie
F. Forestier
Tour De L'ile
Geneve

High school French was a LONG time ago, but it seems to say something like "LeCoultre Razor for with a blade for each day of the week." Then the sticker indicates it was sold by the F. Forestier cutlery factory in Geneva. "Tour De L'ile" is "Tour of the Island... Not sure what that's about.

Tour de L'ile is the street name of the factory.

Do the blades require honing? I would assume so, but then again, the condition looks so pristine...

They do. The blade that's on it is pretty sharp, but not shave sharp. When I get back to town, I'll have to figure something out. Are you still willing to help me with that? I'm happy to pay you for your work.

Beer it is then. Name your favorite and I'll hit you up when I'm home. Thanks a million man!

I'll say the guys on the board are truly amazing. @totorlekiller, TimS, life2short71, Kentos, Twelvefret, Tony Miller, doc222, slash McCoy, rev579, valthum, Esox, etc etc are really wonderful folks that I have met on the board and are full of knowledge and are really helpful.

Maybe I'll hold off and learn a bit more. Probably better than choosing just by looks. Thanks.

There is an ebay seller powertoolsnow, who routinely deals
in what he refers to as Special Scales.
I have also seen Natural Material Not Bone used to describe
what you are looking for.

Top Bottom