What's new

Would You Recommend the Proraso Single Blade Line of Creams? Pros/Cons

I can find some information on the Proraso Single Blade creams, but not from actual users. I'm long a user of the green eucalyptos & menthol (tube), but I see some of you folks the Single Blade cream in your daily shave posts---particularly the woods and spice. I thought I read a thread long ago where Marco said it smelled very close to the Proraso Red and the Cypress Vetyver very close to the original Proraso Green. Haven't heard much on the Azur Lime. What's your take? Is it a big enough difference from the originals to consider? The tubes are smaller for more money, and the "coarse beard" additives are not needed in my case. I do love my Proraso.

I thought I read a thread long ago where Marco said it smelled very close to the Proraso Red and the Cypress Vetyver very close to the original Proraso Green. Haven't heard much on the Azur Lime. What's your take? Is it a big enough difference from the originals to consider?

The Single Blade line is unique.
I do not find any matching scent similarities *at all* between Cypress & Vetiver / Green or Wood & Spice /Red. :-\

(I really like W&S but do *not* like Red, for example)

Performance-wise, the single blade creams might be slightly better? But not a big enough difference to trash all of your Green, Red, Blue, White.

I Keep: Green, Cypress & Vetiver, Wood & Spice in my rotation.
Wish the single-blades had a matching splash vs. balm lotion, though.

The base is a bit denser so you need less product compared to the original ones. I didn’t care for the Azur Lime (weak) and Woods Spice scent (strongly artificial). The Cypress Vetyver is a nice one though. All 3 scents are unique and not related to the other lines. Performance is on the same or slightly higher level than the green/red.

I love the Single Blade line. Right now I'm using the Azur Lime which I really like. I find it better than most other creams.
Good stuff.

Henson_Proraso.JPG

The Single Blade line is unique.
I do not find any matching scent similarities *at all* between Cypress & Vetiver / Green or Wood & Spice /Red.
:-\

(I really like W&S but do *not* like Red, for example)

Performance-wise, the single blade creams might be slightly better? But not a big enough difference to trash all of your Green, Red, Blue, White.

I Keep: Green, Cypress & Vetiver, Wood & Spice in my rotation.
Wish the single-blades had a matching splash vs. balm lotion, though.
I agree with this statement.

This matches my experience. While I'm not using creams currently, I did for a while and found Proraso single-blade worked better, but not vastly better, than Proraso-in-a-tub.

I love the Single Blade line. Right now I'm using the Azur Lime which I really like. I find it better than most other creams.
Good stuff.

View attachment 1519754

This echos my thoughts exactly.

Azur Lime is one of my favorite creams. I like it so much I "3017'd" one of those IV bags. I can't say the performance is stunningly better than the regular Prosaro line, but for my face and beard it is better. Plus I like the scents significantly more than the regular line up.

Get some samples and give them a try.

Have used all except Lime, all provide good results. Any difference boils down to scent, so I suggest you try all out. I can sense the difference between all of them, though I would say Wood & Spice is closer to green than Vetyver is.
The only thing I don't like about the new line is that they are not available as soaps.

I can't keep up with or understand Proraso's marketing but I do like their Azur-Lime aftershave balm and the Green, White, and Blue pre-shaves as well as the Green and Red shaving cream. Oh, and Green aftershave balm and splash. But I have an average beard and shave with a DE. Personally, I think their marketing style is absolutely batcrap nuts and have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with it but I like all the products of theirs I've tried so far. If I have a mild/average beard, I'm not supposed to use the Red lineup?? If I don't shave with a straight, I'm not supposed to use whatever color that lineup is or the one for sensitive skin if I have regular skin??? Absolutely nuts IMO.

I can't keep up with or understand Proraso's marketing but I do like their Azur-Lime aftershave balm and the Green, White, and Blue pre-shaves as well as the Green and Red shaving cream. Oh, and Green aftershave balm and splash. But I have an average beard and shave with a DE. Personally, I think their marketing style is absolutely batcrap nuts and have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with it but I like all the products of theirs I've tried so far. If I have a mild/average beard, I'm not supposed to use the Red lineup?? If I don't shave with a straight, I'm not supposed to use whatever color that lineup is or the one for sensitive skin if I have regular skin??? Absolutely nuts IMO.
If you've ever driven in Italy, you discover the road signs and markings are basically suggestions. The Proraso marketing is sort of like that. The Red, for instance, is a nice fall/winter soap if you have drier skin (the shea butter can help). You don't have to have a heavy beard to enjoy it. I think Single Blade is supposed to suggest a more premium product, but you don't have to use a straight razor to benefit from it.

If you've ever driven in Italy, you discover the road signs and markings are basically suggestions. The Proraso marketing is sort of like that. The Red, for instance, is a nice fall/winter soap if you have drier skin (the shea butter can help). You don't have to have a heavy beard to enjoy it. I think Single Blade is supposed to suggest a more premium product, but you don't have to use a straight razor to benefit from it.
I know. That's my point!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have Cypress Vetiver and Wood and Spice. I really enjoy both, but don't find performance much different than the standard line. The scents, however, are unique and great. Cypress Vetiver has an earthy/grassy kind of thing going on like you would expect from a vetiver scent. No menthol. VERY different from Green. Wood and Spice is in the same ballpark as Red; its woody, but without the Sandalwood, and more perfumy than Red. It does go nicely with Red splash. Both are solid recommends!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I wouldn't say there are any similarities, scent wise, between SB and Proraso standard line.

I find the Single Blade cream slicker that the standard line, also 'cleaner' without leaving a white residue all over the gear and sink like the standard line does.

I say try one of the smaller tubes of Single Blade, the reality is that no one can answer for you.

Sent wise the single blade line is completely unique as compared to the regular line of products. I’m not a huge fan of the Proraso products personally but my sons love them. I’m more a hard soap guy. I’ve used the red and green from the regular line and like (don’t love) both. Recently I tried the single blade Cypress and Vetyver cream. I loved the scent. The cream has a bit more of a backbone to the lather. It shave well with a DE razor. As far as using it with my straight razors, probably not but in a pinch…. The lather still doesn’t stand up to a Tabac,Mitchell’s Wool Fat. It’s still an excellent product with a great scent but it’s not my ideal lather for a straight razor shave.

I can't keep this stuff straight with Proraso but I have one or two of the "single" blade line of products and they work just fine with my DE razors. Proraso is good stuff, especially if you like the scent. I think the lather is fine. It's all in the product to water ratio.

Top Bottom