What's new

Would you pay big bucks for a mint Gillette Tech?

There's one on Ebay made in my birth year 1953. He wants $80 which sounds high but this razor looks like it was made yesterday I'm talking not a scratch. Also keep in mind it's a 40th anniversary present to myself and I'll never spend $80 on a razor again.
Edit: Wouldn't this razor with this quality cost at least this much if made in the USA again?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It is very much on the high side but that is not important. As a one off, if you like it and want it, and it will bring you lasting happiness then buy it; that is what money is for. If however you are simply buying the first of many razors, then no as it is overpriced by a long long way. 👍

It is very much on the high side but that is not important. As a one off, if you like it and want it, and it will bring you lasting happiness then buy it; that is what money is for. If however you are simply buying the first of many razors, then no as it is overpriced by a long long way. 👍
On top of what you said I've never seen one in this condition on Ebay.

I personally wouldn't. It's not my birth year and I don't like Techs.

Do you like Techs? If you do, and want a birth year example, I would go for it. Keep in mind it is only worth the premium $80 to you. If you decide to sell or trade, you may only get half the price you paid. Even that may be pushing it. That Tech style is widely available and tends to be on the lower end of Gillette prices.

I prefer Superspeeds. I am a later B1 (1981). I have NEVER seen one for sale. With that in mind, I don't want to think what I would pay for one. 😬

Last edited:
No I wouldn't. There are so many Techs available and $80 is just hugely overpriced IMO no matter the condition. That said, if nothing shaves better for you and it really speaks to you, go for it.

R

romsitsa

I wouldn’t, Techs are extremely numerous even here. But it’s your birthday and your money, so if you want it, go for it.

It’s a nickel ball end with frosted cap in a cardboard box for 79.99?
It’s obviously used (safety bar and sides of the cap) and some tarnishing is visible on the cap.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

Great advice. I would but would have to be sure it is truly mint.

I bought this Tech for $20 Canadian exactly as you see it in the picture box and all. It was probably used 2x as it still has 3 original blades. It's a no date code 1946-1950 Canadian made with rare handle...and it is like new. It took me ~7 months to find it. You found your birth year in great shape, that's worth something to you. If you did a search right now could you find another just as good? Only you can decide what's worth you money.

I say buy what you like. If you are going to enjoy it for the amount you spend on it go for it. A razor just shaves you, that's its job. A $15 tech user grade to one person can bring the same level of satisfaction in use as a $400+ razor made of unobtainium metal does for another person. If you can easily afford it, why not.
20200224_123436.jpg

Top Bottom