What's new

Would you like to try the newest aftershave?

You and I are in the exact same camp. I think we were shipped the samples sans menthol to see if we would merely parrot others, or if we have a mind of our own.

The toner for me is excellent.

Actually everyone got the same samples. I'm not smart enough to be clever like that. Remember, I make aftershave for a living. :001_302:

We haven't even heard from everyone yet but there is a common theme that the scent needs to be amped up. Even today The Captain has headed back to the drawing board to modify what is a well received formula but one that needs to be tweaked.

Actually everyone got the same samples. I'm not smart enough to be clever like that. Remember, I make aftershave for a living. :001_302:

We haven't even heard from everyone yet but there is a common theme that the scent needs to be amped up. Even today The Captain has headed back to the drawing board to modify what is a well received formula but one that needs to be tweaked.
Uh-huh :)

I can't wait for round two. This stuff made my face feel... good! Thanks again.

I'd like to try it after you boost the scent. It has great potential.

Most of the afternoon was devoted to revising the formula based on feedback here. Down the drain some of it went but that is normal. First stop in the morning is the post office to make the early morning cutoff with this overstuffed Captain's Choice tote. Each of you have another sample vial headed your way. Please try it out and then come back here and let us hear all about it. Look for your new sample to arrive by early next week. Thanks for helping out guys!

IMG_0327.jpeg

Most of the afternoon was devoted to revising the formula based on feedback here. Down the drain some of it went but that is normal. First stop in the morning is the post office to make the early morning cutoff with this overstuffed Captain's Choice tote. Each of you have another sample vial headed your way. Please try it out and then come back here and let us hear all about it. Look for your new sample to arrive by early next week. Thanks for helping out guys!

View attachment 975328

Those lucky drains! Love the tote!

Thank you right back Captain!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have you ever thought of selling the Captain's Choice tote bags? I think they are rippers!!!!

Apologies on the delay getting my quick review up. First impression out of the bottle was menthol and more menthol. Didn't get any other scent when the lid was off. After applying it, I got the menthol primarily. About five to ten minutes after application, I smelled something faintly powdery come through. About ten minutes after that, I couldn't smell any part of the aftershave. Face feel to me was what I've experienced in the past with Captain's Choice products: excellent, non-greasy facefeel that burns a decent f amount on my skin, but calms things down fairly well. Nearly every aftershave dries out my skin, so I applied moisturizer post aftershave like always. My previous experience with Captain's choice aftershaves is with samples and a bottle of the sandalwood. Those all lasted two to three hours on my skin easily, with the sandalwood hanging around the longest, at about five hours. My skin chemistry might have made this one shorter lasting than what other people found. I used haslinger schafmilch for my soap tonight as it is my mildest scented shave soap and I was hoping that wouldn't clash with the aftershave. I think I am still smelling it a bit, and my wife also could tell it was mixing with the aftershave sample when she smelled it. That might be affecting her opinion and mine. You asked for honesty, so here we go:

1. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 4 or 5. I have never smelled Floid Blue, so perhaps it wouldn't quite be up my alley, but I have Fine American Barbershop and love that. Also liked the scent of Maggard London Barbershop. Could be that the scent strength wasnt enough for me to smell all of the notes, or the schafmilch is twisting the scent slightly so it isn't quite as intended. But with this shave, that's where I'd score it. SWMBO gave it a 3, said she might go up to a 4 on it. She gives American Barbershop an 8.

2. Menthol level: Perfect level for me. My biggest issue using Fine products is the menthol level can be a bit much. Same with WhollyKaw, it makes my eyes water every time. This one had enough menthol to cool some, but not so much that my eyes were watering.

3. Would I buy it? As of now, no. Might be that the scent isn't for me. Might also be that it is, and the interaction of the soap and aftershave isn't for me. I'll keep using it until the new samples arrive and keep you updated if SWMBO or I have a different opinion with further use.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a tester for this aftershave!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok, got mine in yesterday's mail and managed to get a shave in with it. I'll use it tomorrow as well.

Initial impressions in smelling the scent was that it was enjoyable. In the same wheelhouse as Aqua Velva or another light aquatic scented aftershave. A nice addition to the Captain's Choice line and a smart move in adding this one to replace the no longer attainable classic. I have used other Captain's Choice aftershaves and for me this one was much more faintly scented.

In applying the aftershave I got some alcohol feel but if felt nice on my face. It gave my face a nice smoothness as it dried quickly. No sticky residue or odd scents left behind. The menthol gave a nice chilling effect that I enjoyed quite a bit. I've used many of the menthol aftershaves and even added some menthol crystals to some to ramp them up a bit. With menthol the more you're used to it the less of an impact it has. I haven't reached for a menthol aftershave in a while so this one felt nice to me. Just about perfect in that regard.

After the shave my skin felt clean, smooth and nice. The scent lingered for a couple minutes and was gone soon after. I didn't apply an excessive amount but I did use enough that I though the scent should be present a bit longer. I don't usually use splashes as I prefer balms because they seem to do more for my skin. The exceptions are Tallow & Steel and Maol Grooming. Maybe consider looking into these to see what post shave ingredients they employ as the aftershave didn't do a lot in terms of moisturizing my skin.

1. So overall I'd likely give it around a 6.5.
2. The level or menthol is perfect where it's at.
3. Would I buy it as is, likely not. The new version I suspect will be better in terms of scent but will likely still lack the post shave attributes that I look for. If the scent were stronger I might use it for that and follow it with an unscented balm.

Those that are looking for a light, clean, fresh, face feel will likely enjoy this.

I have used my sample twice as I just received it a few days ago.

My initial response in one word is 'light'. I don't really pick up on a scent and in fact thought it to be unscented.

The face feel is very nice. No sting and leaves my freshly shaved face feeling cool and refreshed.

To sum it up I would consider buying it for the tonal properties. However there are similar products that have a pleasant smell as well so would opt for them.

Just pump up the scent. Seems consistent in the reviews so far.

Second Sample

Second sample came in Saturday - woot. Right after I shaved - boo. Really want to try the new formula though!! Do I have a light shave tonight (usually shave every other day)? Or wait until tomorrow? Either way, i’ll let you know.

Thanks Captain my Captain. May your following waves be gentle indeed.

Last time I reviewed the sample, I said something like, “It (the splash) hit my face like a stealthy ninja, and then disappeared.”

This time, the ninja hit my face and stayed around a little to make sure his work was done.

Well played ninja. Well played. That’s exactly what you needed to do first time.

I loved it. The alcohol/menthol mix for me was near perfect! So freaking refreshing!!

Scent picked up a bit too. It’s a clean scent. Still a bit too elusive for me, but I wouldn’t understand a subtle scent of it hit me in the ... My wife would love me for wearing this.

Of course we can’t forget the skin food. My face just feels... loved. But after the first run, it was expected, but not to be taken for granted.

I don’t know Captain, if you ask me this is better than what I recall the target to be. A complex skin food that tones like a man expects. Respect.

I like it. A lot.

I was out of the country on vacation and only had a chance to turn to sample #1 this morning.
Although I note that adjustments have already taken place, I will still post my thoughts on the original after I give it one more try tomorrow.

I tried the revised formula and really enjoy it. It received a scent boost that it desperately needed. It cooled my razor burn within a couple of minutes. This is now something I would be happy to purchase. Thank you for allowing me to try this aftershave. It is a very nice aftershave.

After a second go with sample #1, here's what I have, for the record:

1. I'd rate it an 8. It's very good, especially in face feel (always a strength with Captain's Choice splashes). But as others noted -- and acknowledging my not-so-good sense of smell -- the scent was subtle to the point where I couldn't pick up on anything to speak of.

2. The level of menthol is very pleasing. I like cooling as opposed to face freezing.

3. Based on the price point, I wouldn't purchase sample #1. It is very, very similar to one of my favorite splashes, Lúcido from Japan, which is also nearly neutral in scent, has a perfect level of menthol, and feels great on the face. Lúcido costs around $0.10/ml in the U.S. and $0.05/ml in Japan, vs. the Captain's Choice price point of $0.15/ml. Lúcido is a mass-market product, admittedly, but this new CC offering needs to have a difference-maker -- i.e., scent. The others in the line all have that.

2 shaves with the new brew. I've got to say, I'm still not getting a strong scent. I get an initial scent of menthol and candy (like a werther's type sugar scent). Dry is powdery and nice, but the new brew doesn't seem to last as long as the previous concoction. I do think the skin feel is incredible. Both yesterday and today I needed no post shave balm or moisturizers. Yesterday was with two days growth and a Gem clog-pruf open comb, today was a Gillette HD400. However, I get that same great feeling with all the CC aftershaves. I guess it boils down to the scent which, while not unpleasant, Tomorrow I'll be mixing old and new to see if there's improved longevity.

Got the revised version yesterday and tested it today.
First use and I am impressed.

For me, I would rate it 8+.

First, the scent is on the mild side. My wife said the scent was fresh and she liked it. It does not have an overpowering scent such as Pinaud Clubman. However, the scent dissipated rather quickly. I did not get the usual "sting" I get from aftershaves. Rather, it felt very soothing - something I like. Usually, I put on WH after I shave to calm my skin and an AS after that. With the CC Blue, I applied it right after a cold water splash and it felt very refreshing.

As for menthol, I prefer something with a bit more punch to it. However, when I want menthol I usually reach for Osage Rub. Not every AS should contain heavy doses of menthol IMHO.

My recommendations would be to boost the scent and its staying power, something that would broaden its appeal.

I would definitely buy it now in its present formulation.

I will continue to use it until the sample is used up.

Thanks, Scott, for the sample.

Got the revised version yesterday and tested it today.

The scent has improved but continues to be subtle. I did not detect any difference in the menthol level.

Once again, this splash works wonders for the face. I used an alum bar followed by the splash. Very soothing to the face. Not sticky like some aftershaves are.

I would buy it.

Received my second tester late yesterday. Finished up my shave with it this morning.

It is slightly improved I feel, but only by a step.

To reiterate:
- Menthol level is perfect, great middling cooling effect, definitely not overpowering. Great splash for a shave on a hot day.

- Face feel is superb. CC aftershaves always really shine here. Applies well, leaves the skin feeling a bit softer and can feel the skin food aiding.

- Version 2 scent level is where the noticeable improvement occurred. Menthol is still the top note. It moves quickly to a burst of fresh powder, then dries down to a light, fresh, powdery kind of aquatic. The scent hangs around a bit longer, but dies down too quickly and still does not project farther than about a couple inches off the skin, still fades (for me) in less than an hour.

So, once again it is pleasant, nice...but probably not a buy.

Top Bottom