What's new

Would you give this razor the time of day?

Yes - It is a rare Filarmónica 13 Especial first Gen.
Yes - It had a gigantic chip at the heel

IMG_2184.jpeg

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

Here’s a car I like but it was rear ended.
Here’s a beautiful Armani suit but the sleeve is missing but it’s a good price
Here’s a keyboard but some of the keys are missing.
A nice dresser but missing a drawer.

Need I go on? If you don’t mind something half A$$ed and that’s your threshold , buy it. If I’m spending money then I want the real thing , complete.
Just my take on it. I can easily ruin it on my own. I don’t pay for others mistakes.
I’ll wait and buy the real thing or simply pass. Why waste money, time and effort on an inferior product just to think you own it. To me, doesn’t make sense.
You have your heart set on something, May take some time but set aside $10 each paycheck. Look for a good example. Buy the real thing . You’ll be happier in the long run.
Don’t buy some busted piece of sh*T thinking you got the real thing. To me , that’s nonsense.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty cool! I would not pay a lot of money for it but would rather that than a gold dollar/similar razors. If the balance was not weird when stropping I would make it a test razor most likely.

I had one like this I tried to turn into a monkey tail. I ground down were the pivot hole was to get rid of the hole and extend the tang into a monkey tail. I made the heel more slanted for aesthetic. What stopped me was drilling a new pivot hole. I spent a few drill bits on it without making much of a dent.

I'm suspicious if the temper was preserved between the grinding and the polishing.

There's something that looks like a dried string of glue
between the ends of the pin at the end of the scales.

I don't like it.

I'm suspicious if the temper was preserved between the grinding and the polishing.

There's something that looks like a dried string of glue
between the ends of the pin at the end of the scales.

I don't like it.
Just some fiber from a cloth, not glue

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It should be fine, but the seller probably wants Filly prices for it. It isn't a Filly anymore. Now it is just a shorty. For $10, BUY it if you need another razor. For much more than that, let somebody else have it. If you get it, you might want to rework the heel and shank a bit, but maybe that's just me. It's a great piece of steel, and IF YOU LIKE SHORTIES, you will like it just fine. The thing is, these salvage shorties are not in high demand, and have a lot more eager sellers than eager buyers.

I had one like this I tried to turn into a monkey tail. I ground down were the pivot hole was to get rid of the hole and extend the tang into a monkey tail. I made the heel more slanted for aesthetic. What stopped me was drilling a new pivot hole. I spent a few drill bits on it without making much of a dent.
you need tungsten tipped masonry drills in a drill press to burn your way through.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but in the third picture, if you divide the blade into the thirds, the 1/3 looks good and straight, the 2/3 looks like it's gradually sloping towards the heel, and the 3/3 is gone.

To be honest, unless it was dirt cheap, I'd save my money and keep hunting

Yeah nah... maybe put in a lowball bid if the chip was half that size and the "repair" was a little better. Otherwise, I'm out unless I can pick it up for 10 bucks

Top Bottom