What's new

Would you get bored of the same blade, no matter how good it is?

Dear fellow members.

As much as I like the Nacet blade (even tempted to get a pack of 100), I am not sure if that would lead to 'boredom' as each shave would start getting a little bit too predictable. One reason why I like the sample packs is that I like comparing different blades and the variety involved. Does anyone else feel this way too?

I suppose one could argue 'Yes but you have only one razor, your 39c Sledgehammer', but for me that is no big deal as only having one razor enables me to keep comparisons consistent, and plus I like using it very much.

Jason.
Staying always with one blade would be super boring for me. That's why I have so many of many different models.
Yes, you use only one razor and that is good to decide which blades to use in it. But this way you misjudge the blades. You think blade X is a bad blade. But in another razor it might shine. You won't know that and for you blade X is bad. It is as simple as that.

For me the variety is in the razors.

To me blades are like batteries: stick it in the device and it works; some work better than others. As long as a blade does not cut me and is comfortable in all of my razors, then it matters little to me which blade brand is in the razor.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have 3 blades which are my favourites BUT there are many blades i have yet to try and ill get round to it eventually. But at the moment I'm happy with the 3 I've stocked up on.

I’d like to say no but who’s kidding who? I have several dozen razors for crying out loud. Logic (this is logical?) would suggest I would get bored but, maybe the razor rotation would be enough to keep it interesting? Suddenly I’m very confused.

Nope. I had been using Astra SP for years and same blade for more than a few months. But I think it's fun trying out all the different blades.

I don’t like to rotate blades. I just had to because my favorite Polsilvers were discontinued.

Now that I’ve settled on the Gillette Platinums I will sell all my other blades and never use anything else

If a blade works well enough for three to five shaves, I'm good. I explored blades to figure out what works with the razors I have so that if one brand is hard to get, I know what other options exist.

I have an old Altoids tin in my drawer where I've dumped a bunch of loose blades (still in wrappers). I don't even cherry pick anymore if I have to load a fresh blade into my razor. In a way, it's a very liberating thing.

(To be clear, all of those loose blades are from brands that do work for me. :) )

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If a blade works well enough for three to five shaves, I'm good. I explored blades to figure out what works with the razors I have so that if one brand is hard to get, I know what other options exist.

I have an old Altoids tin in my drawer where I've dumped a bunch of loose blades (still in wrappers). I don't even cherry pick anymore if I have to load a fresh blade into my razor. In a way, it's a very liberating thing.

(To be clear, all of those loose blades are from brands that do work for me. :) )
This is a GREAT idea my friend!

I have figured out my best blade in my Parker 91R. I will be purchasing 100 blades of the Wilkinson Sword from Germany. It just really feels great on my face. So, no I would not get bored using the same blade in the same razor, shave after shave. I would be looking forward to shaving every day, knowing that I am getting the best shave I can get.
So far, not so boring. Its nice to know that when I load my razor with a blade I can "trust", there are no surprises. I really enjoy my shaves, and they are smooth, efficient, and leave no irritation. I just feel that there is nothing better than what I am doing right now. Remember, prep is a big factor into how smooth your shave will be, as well as the skillset to pull it off. 1 razor, 1 blade, I'm good...

After trying numerous blades over the years, I've pretty much settled on Nacets and Gillette Silver Blues. But once in a while I'll load up something different just to enforce the reason I like those two. Stuck in a rut? Maybe. Bored? No!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
No, if it's a truly good blade, the others are lesser, therefore unworthy. Er... something like that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don’t like to rotate blades. I just had to because my favorite Polsilvers were discontinued.

Now that I’ve settled on the Gillette Platinums I will sell all my other blades and never use anything else
I've got a few Gillette Platinums around here. I think I have only used it once, need to fix that.

I've got a few Gillette Platinums around here. I think I have only used it once, need to fix that.
Its hard to find someone who dislike the Gillette Platinums.

I know they aren’t the cheapest, but I tested the GPs against a lot of blades (GSB, Nacet, Bolzano, Voskhod, Permasharp, …) and to me they are exactly what I was looking for.

My goal is to shave daily with one pass and a couple of touch ups, using a mild razor because my skin gets bumps and moles with aggressive razors. I want to feel BBS after shaving, but I’m not seeking a 16-hour BBS because I want to shave again the next day.

With a brand new Feather blade I don’t even need the touch ups, it’s 1 pass BBS. But subsequent shaves are not as good, and Feathers are pricey here (30€/100)

The Gillette Platinums give me 5-6 outstandingly close and smooth shaves, almost Feather-like, and with any of my vintage Gillette razors.

Also, I’ve got a great deal on them (10€/100).

I only rotate DE's every couple of years. For the past year, it's been my 12 year old 34G. I probably have 5 different blades that work well in any of my DE's. For the past year, I've been using mostly Gillette Platinum "Swedes", but today I used one of my few remaining Merkur blades. I hadn't used a Merkur blade in 2 years, but still got a great shave.

Its hard to find someone who dislike the Gillette Platinums.

I know they aren’t the cheapest, but I tested the GPs against a lot of blades (GSB, Nacet, Bolzano, Voskhod, Permasharp, …) and to me they are exactly what I was looking for.

My goal is to shave daily with one pass and a couple of touch ups, using a mild razor because my skin gets bumps and moles with aggressive razors. I want to feel BBS after shaving, but I’m not seeking a 16-hour BBS because I want to shave again the next day.

With a brand new Feather blade I don’t even need the touch ups, it’s 1 pass BBS. But subsequent shaves are not as good, and Feathers are pricey here (30€/100)

The Gillette Platinums give me 5-6 outstandingly close and smooth shaves, almost Feather-like, and with any of my vintage Gillette razors.

Also, I’ve got a great deal on them (10€/100).

I always did find after the initial fresh sharpness wears off of a Feather after one use they do become Gillette Platinum like.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks like this.

Top Bottom