What's new

Would you get a DE safety razor shave from a barber?

Ok I having been reading how hard it is to get a good shave from a barber. I have a couple of questions one would you guys be willing to get DE safety razor shave from a barber? Especially since most are required to use shavettes and not a true straight razor. The other would be more for barbers. would you give a shave with a DE or is this like sacreligious and an insult to barbering and barbers?

Last edited:
No. That would be like going to Pizza Hut and ordering a Frozen Pizza. Something that you could just as easily make at home.

Except that the majority of people who go to the barber go there thinking there going to get Good pizza and they end up with frozen pizza. at least with a couple passes of the DE you know your going to get good pizza.

No, even if I knew of any barber's that gave shaves. From what I've read on this forum, many barbers don't know how to do it correctly. That's scary. The AoS Barber Spa charges $55.00 for a Royal shave. Heck, I can buy a very nice vintage razor for that.

I'll shave myself thank you.

I don't know much about insulting barbering or barbers but I don't see the point in having one shave me with a DE (or a straight for that matter).

The weak point in most barber shaves is in the prep and lather.
Without getting the basics down right, it doesn't matter what type of blade they put to your face.

But to answer the original question ... NO.

Last edited:
The AOS traditional shave is with shavette. Great prep and meticulous shave. $35. I'd do it. Treated my son in law to it, he loved it.
But not a DE barber shave. Just not the same. IMO.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
no I do not think so.

If the barber used a DE I would pass. If the barber gave a straight shave then sure I would.

Actually, barber shaves are greatly over rated in my view. I use to enjoy them immensely. Now, mine are better. Less irritation, choice of soap and aftershave.

Nope. Nobody is shaving my face except for me. I'm too suspicious of sharing something like razors with all we know today about blood borne pathogens and life altering viruses.

Most barbers don't know what they're doing when they shave someone's face. Maybe if they used a brush and soap I would think about it. Emphatically, no.

Most barbers don't know what they're doing when they shave someone's face. Maybe if they used a brush and soap I would think about it. Emphatically, no.
And of course, they can't do that because of hygiene laws.

Back in the day, many men kept their own personal mug and brush at the barbershop, often ornately decorated with their monogram and/or profession. That way, they were assured of having their own favorite soap and brush on hand for the shave, and their was no danger of cross-contamination by using the same brush on everyone's face.

I doubt that would work today. And considering that most barber's charge upwards of $40 for a bad-to-mediocre shave, its unlikely they would get many requests for the service.

Top Bottom