What's new

Would you get a DE safety razor shave from a barber?

I would rather just do it myself and take the pride in what I do, rather than paying somebody $40 or $50 dollars, when I could probably do it better myself, and I know I won't get any irritation.

When someone buys a DE razor from our shop, we will teach them how to shave with it. We put the hot towels and preshave treatments on for them and then we shave part of their face to make sure that the beard is ready and the razor is working. Then we hand them the razor and sit them up in front of the mirror and coach them through the rest of their first shave.

We do have a couple clients that prefer the safety razor shave, and we will reach for a DE for head shaving/ bald fades if there is any scars or contraindications to using a straight razor.

For the most part, I will quote my barber manual from back at barber college. "A professional barber uses a straight razor and hot lather to remove whiskers from the client's face. The use of safety razors is not considered professional, and the Barber Board will not allow their use on practical examinations."

most semi-experienced wetshavers could give themselves a better shave than anyone else could.

I would not pay a barber to shave my face (I do let my wife shave my head sometimes)

Top Bottom