What's new

Would you buy this straight razor?

I see the ongoing "Straight Razor Acquisition Thread" but what about potential purchases? It seems to me that a running thread to incorporate purchasing advice could be handy. My apologies if this has been done before or belongs in a different area. I did look back through the last five pages and didn't see such a thread. I'd like to start with an antique store find that I'm eyeing and offer for anyone else to post here as well.

Without further delay, here is my find for your consideration, a Sheffield wedge or near-wedge:

$IMG_20160831_122647.jpg$IMG_20160831_122707.jpg
I couldn't detect any waves/unevenness or pitting on the edge despite the uneven bevel. The edge looked straight according to eyeball and I did notice a small nick toward the heel. Profile is out of focus but I think it catches the gist:

$IMG_20160831_122727.jpg

Scales appeared to be bone but pinch in the middle:
$IMG_20160831_122656.jpg

So, do you think this razor is worth $17.50? Would you buy it?

Last edited:
Offer him $10.

the edge is a bit uneven, but could be fixed with some elbow grease.

Sheffield steel makes for a great shaving razor.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for the replies. What grit would you start with?

Depends on how perfect you want it to look. Personally, I just knock the nastiness off with 600 grit, and go up to 1500. My old razors do not shine like a new pin, but I don't think they should after 100+ years.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I probably don't have as much experience as the guys above but I wouldn't buy it. The hone on it is pretty bad. You never know though, it isn't that expensive and you might make a nice shaver out of it.

I probably don't have as much experience as the guys above but I wouldn't buy it. The hone on it is pretty bad. You never know though, it isn't that expensive and you might make a nice shaver out of it.

The bone is definitely uneven, but the edge was straight (as best as I could tell). Doesn't a wedge show uneven honing easier or is that a myth?

Just buy it!

You know you want to....

It should get a complete makeover, have the scales straightened, etc. But it'll also work just getting it honed up and ready to go.

But as for that razor, I would take a chance on it. Spend a sheet of 1k on it followed by some mothers or maas and hone it

Looks like it's a diamond in the rough. Restore it. Offer cheap and buy it then get a custom set of scales made and while
You wait try and clean and polish her up then hone! How good is a Sheffield. Don't let her go to the dogs.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

I would buy almost anything with a honorable edge at that price. It should clean up nice. The fact that it's local and no shipping is great!
I am in a tear right now for cheap honorable razors as I want to clean them up and give them to all the guys I know to try and convert them.

By reading your premise statement only and not the meat of your thread…no, not a chance. Hone wear sucks, wavy-gravy, the toe looks like it was shortened. Bone scale is cool but certainly not rare and can be reproduced by numerous aficionados. Looks to be a mess in my less than humble opinion.

~Royce

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
By reading your premise statement only and not the meat of your thread…no, not a chance. Hone wear sucks, wavy-gravy, the toe looks like it was shortened. Bone scale is cool but certainly not rare and can be reproduced by numerous aficionados. Looks to be a mess in my less than humble opinion.

~Royce

Even for 17.50?

70% of the sheffields out there have wavy bevels... The edge itself is actually pretty much in line with the spine..

Even for 17.50?

No, and probably not for free either [emoji4] I'm not a razor project kind of guy even if I was I would hunt down the 30% Sheffields that did not have a significant amount of hone wear. If this razor had some sentimental value to it I would not think twice about honing it and using it as is.

~Royce

Top Bottom