What's new

Would two blade disposable razors be better...?

I have a Gilette Blue 2 disposable razor pack lying around that i havent used in a while. Took a new razor out recently, and did a 3 pass shave with it. Fantastic result. Smooth shave. No irritation. No razorburn.

I feel i could do another shave with it, but i don’t know if i want to risk it.

A lot of people feel, atleast those into DE and SE shaving methods, that more blades in your razor don’t result in a closer shave and only increase chances of skin irritation.

So im curious to see if anyone thinks that twin blade razors are better than than the 4-5 blade razors out there. For comparison, would a Gilette Blue 2 disposable razor be better than the Gilette Proglide Fusion, which uses 5 blades ( i think ) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gillette Blue 2 are exceptional. Together with Wilkinson Sword Extra 2 Sensitive and BIC 3 Sensitive are my most used disposables throughout the years.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I generally think the more blades the better with diminishing returns for more than three blades. For those that have no issue with ingrown hair or irritation that some attribute to multi bladed carts, I would say multiple blades give a better shave and quicker, all things considered. I use carts, DE, SE, disposables and even occasionally an electric.

I believe any razor having more than two blades , is more a selling gimmick than a better shaver. Three blades would be the absolute most , after this irritation and razor drag come into play. That has been my experience. Even Gillette has a new 2 blade razor , said to be for sensitive skin.

Last edited:
I have a Gilette Blue 2 disposable razor pack lying around that i havent used in a while. Took a new razor out recently, and did a 3 pass shave with it. Fantastic result. Smooth shave. No irritation. No razorburn.

A lot of people feel, atleast those into DE and SE shaving methods, that more blades in your razor don’t result in a closer shave and only increase chances of skin irritation.

So im curious to see if anyone thinks that twin blade razors are better than than the 4-5 blade razors out there. For comparison, would a Gilette Blue 2 disposable razor be better than the Gilette Proglide Fusion, which uses 5 blades ( i think ) ?

The Mach 3 just gives me too much irritation as compared to the Sensor (twin blade). It's just not worth the closer shave.

I don't think anything more than one blade is all that much of an improvement- dubious at best. I've had perfectly acceptable shaves just with a Schick injector and one pass.

I do think something like a Sensor is less likely to produce localized irritation, due to the suspension system and flexible blades, but this comes at the expense of more overall irritation. And any twin blade cartridge can produce ingrown hairs when it becomes the least bit dull.

If I travel, I prefer to use Bic #1 or #2 single-blades. I even use the #2 (sensitive) on days that my face needs some downtime.

I think it's too complicated to generalize.

Coatings can make a blade alot smoother, and might reduce skin irritation to the point that 3-5 blades don't do alot of damage vs. even a single double edge razor blade in the average man's hands. Also, multiple blades reduces pressure on any one blade, assuming the skin is not being pinched in between the blades (which can be a problem with older shaving systems.

I really have to admire Gillette for taking something as seemingly difficult as shaving and making it so that a teenager can grab a razor and shave. You CANNOT do that with a DE without getting a bloodbath.

People complain about the price of cartridges and not lasting long, etc., but the way to remedy that is proper prep and blade care. There are also simple gadgets like a Blade Buddy or Razorpit that allow you to safely wipe the blades of soap scum and hard water deposits, which can increase the blade lifespan two-fold. Since adopting those habits, I have found Double Edge razor blades alot less compelling as a shaving method vs. cartridges or single-edge razors

I used those blue twin disposables for decades. In fact I never even tried something with more than three blades. For me they did ok, but there were places on my neck where I never could get close enough. If I went ATG I got serious irritation. I like the more traditional razors a whole lot more now.

Top Bottom