What's new

Would try an AC SE razor

I have been thinking lately about trying AC blades. I read that the rigidity of AC blades makes them different to DE blades? I don't want to try open blade razors, the other option is an SE. The available options (realistically, in the EU) are the RR Hawk v2, the v3 family and maybe the Yaqi AC SE, but I'm not sure I'd like to do the whole "customs" mess from China, as it might spoil the fun. My prices(after taxes and shipped): Hawk v2: ~50eur, v3: ~100eur, Yaqi ~50eur.
There isn't much info on the Yaqi, some ppl here like it, but no comparison to other well known razors. The Hawk v2 is said to be mild, so that might be a deal-breaker for me. That leaves me with the Hawk v3 Aggressive, but I'm hesitant to spend 100eur just to give it a try. I'd spend the price of the v2, but I don't want a mild razor. I want an efficient razor that might be smoother than my DEs, if that is even possible.
How do the above compare to the RR Lupo 95 SS, RR Wunderbar or the Mühle R41 (my fav blades are Wilkinsons, Feathers, Astra SS, 7oc yellow...)?

I would recommend the v3 hawk with the standard plate, good luck!

Yes indeed, I agree with Polishaver. My one and only AC blade SE razor, and I am extremely happy with it.
The RazoRock Hawk v3 stainless steel, standard head. Very well balanced, and always allowing me to enjoy
a smooth comfortable shave. Highly recommended ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

65ADE56F-CBDB-453F-B209-F70EBDD27327.jpeg
B5D6F9BB-D415-4850-9EC6-A1390BACE5CD.jpeg

First of all, the SE style razors (imho) have absolutely nothing in comparison to DE razors. The shaving expirience as well as the angle and feel is much different at least to me so all I can say is that in general they feel more comfortable and I get less irritation when I try to get a full BBS.

Following the recent AC razor hype, i've ''bought'' a Yaqi razor, which is basically a ''clone'' of the Blackland Vector razor and after a few months later, i've bought a pack of Schick Proline P-30 blades to give it a try.

The shave is somewhat similar to shaving with my injectors and I really like it, but I wasn't blown away by it. The reason why i've got the Yaqi, was because I wanted to see and feel what others are raving without paying too much. The shaving isn't much different than shaving with an injector razor and on top that the blades for the injectors are much cheaper, I don't think i'll stock on AC blades after mine are gone. These things are crazy expensive and they are not that impressive.

My recommendation would be to try an injector razor first and if you like how it shaves, then you can move on to the AC style. Most vintage injectors are very easy to find and they are also very affordable as well as their blades. Always try something inexpensive when it comes to a different style of shaving and if you like it and want something ''better'', then move on something more expensive. Jumping straight to the deep end of the water is not a wise choice. As always - YMMV!

thank you guys. good point @Medivh, even trying different blades would cost a small fortune. luckily some places sell single blades too. Injectors are pretty much unobtainable in the EU as far as I can tell, apart from the bay.
I'm still on the fence whether I need this (ok, I don't), but do I want to try it enough to justify the cost at all :eek2:

Just my $.02 here, AC blades last longer than DE blades. So factor that into your price comparisons.
what I meant is that a tuck (injector) of 20 blades costs 15-20eur, compared to a tuck of DEs 1-3eur. there seem to be no trial packs of ACs, but some vendors sell single blades for 1eur each, so in the end it is possible to try various blades without buying 100AC blades.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can't say enough good things about my ESC Claymore Evolution. I had been using Feather ProGuard blades in it but just tried a ProSoft Guard blade on Saturday.... what a nice shave.

SOTD1 (2).jpg

I have a few AC razors now. The General is by far the best one I have. The Hawk (mine is aluminum) is very good. The Yaqi I do not care for and I will not use again. I've found I prefer the guard blades.

what I meant is that a tuck (injector) of 20 blades costs 15-20eur, compared to a tuck of DEs 1-3eur. there seem to be no trial packs of ACs, but some vendors sell single blades for 1eur each, so in the end it is possible to try various blades without buying 100AC blades.

Connaught shaving is the best place for buying injector and AC blades in Europe. In general, id much rather change my blades as often as I can than keep using the same blade with again and again with mediocre results and on top of that paying more for those blades. Injector blades are much cheaper and they provide pretty much the same results as the AC blades does, but the injector razors are made differently because of their head design and shaving angle.

With AC you basically premium for both razors and blades to shave with them ''almost'' like a DE razor and having a slightly longer blade compared to the injector blades. If that's what you're looking for then go for it. I'm glad that I didn't pay much to see what's the deal with with the AC razors and blades, however I'm not impressed and id much rather stock up with injector and DE blades than getting the over hyped and mediocre AC blades. YMMV as usual.

Pretty much the most aggressive AC blade holder out there is the Asylum RX V1. If you like aggressive blade feel, keep an eye out, they pop up occasionally. I have the RR Hawk V2 with both plates, and the A(ggressive) plate is worth having. I have two iKon El Jefe heads, which are pretty much in the same ball park, but generally considered a bit more aggressive than the RR offering. If you want, I'll drop one in the mail. I trimmed about 3mm off the post on one, so that I could use other handles. PM me, if you'd like to try it!

I have been thinking lately about trying AC blades. I read that the rigidity of AC blades makes them different to DE blades? I don't want to try open blade razors, the other option is an SE. The available options (realistically, in the EU) are the RR Hawk v2, the v3 family and maybe the Yaqi AC SE, but I'm not sure I'd like to do the whole "customs" mess from China, as it might spoil the fun. My prices(after taxes and shipped): Hawk v2: ~50eur, v3: ~100eur, Yaqi ~50eur.
There isn't much info on the Yaqi, some ppl here like it, but no comparison to other well known razors. The Hawk v2 is said to be mild, so that might be a deal-breaker for me. That leaves me with the Hawk v3 Aggressive, but I'm hesitant to spend 100eur just to give it a try. I'd spend the price of the v2, but I don't want a mild razor. I want an efficient razor that might be smoother than my DEs, if that is even possible.
How do the above compare to the RR Lupo 95 SS, RR Wunderbar or the Mühle R41 (my fav blades are Wilkinsons, Feathers, Astra SS, 7oc yellow...)?
If you prefer that double-edge razor, I suggest you start with RR's HAWK v3(OC)
I also like wunderbar, but it is safer and smoother.
For blades, I recommend using feather professional blades (don't use super).

In general, AC blades are rigid and easy to BBS, but cost more than DE and are not good for small turns.
But I prefer AC blades over DE blades because AC blades are less razor sharp.
I like AC blades better than DE blades because I change DE blades in 2 days and AC blades in 5 days.
AC blades are by far the easiest to use under the nose.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a few AC razors now. The General is by far the best one I have. The Hawk (mine is aluminum) is very good. The Yaqi I do not care for and I will not use again. I've found I prefer the guard blades.
I've heard good things about the General... It doesn't look like Colonial is going to be making any more of them in the near future, but I don't have an inside track on that....

Top Bottom