What's new

Would this handle fit my Gem 1912?

I really love my 1912, but it's got this dinky 2.25 inch (57mm) handle. So I've been looking for a longer handled 1912 in poor condition so I can try out a more conventionally sized handle.

I was scrolling down a "gem razors" ebay search and enlarged this:

$brokegem5.jpg

I thought: "Oh yeah, that what I'm talking about!" I moused over the second picture and saw this:

$brokegem6.jpg

Sweet! A completely trashed head, I'll be able to "one bid" this and maybe pick it up for 99 cent, but a glance to the right deflated my hopes. The dude has it as a BIN for $28. :lol:

My question for the SE greybeards like HT is: Would this handle (for a Gem Junior) even fit my little 1912?

I don't wanted to spend a bunch of time and dignity wheedling this guy down from $28 to 3 or 4 bucks if it's not going fit anyway.

Thanks!

It should. That handle is actually from a Valet Autostrop and is interchangeable with some Gems. I tried it with a couple of mine, here's some pictures.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The auto strop handle should br 8-32 thread if you take your head to your local hardware store you should be able to test and see, some of the older smaller handles are 10-32 but could be re-threaded if you want to go that far. I have a de star handle on my 1912. I just threaded a 8-32 stud into the handle.

I'd love to change out the handle on my Gem Damaskeen.
I wonder if any of the handle makers here can whip me up one?
hmmmmmm.....

The auto strop handle should br 8-32 thread if you take your head to your local hardware store you should be able to test and see, some of the older smaller handles are 10-32 but could be re-threaded if you want to go that far. I have a de star handle on my 1912. I just threaded a 8-32 stud into the handle.

Yeah, my inner cheapskate wants me to glue a properly threaded bolt into a scrape piece of table leg I've got and my inner lazyass wants to bid for a replacement on ebay.

HT said:
It should. That handle is actually from a Valet Autostrop and is interchangeable with some Gems. I tried it with a couple of mine, here's some pictures.

The original owner must have been a fumble-fingers, he probably dropped and broke his Valet, then got a Gem Jr and installed the old handle and then broke it too. :concern:

Last edited:
Anyone know the thread size? Any adapters to convert DE handles for use with GEM heads? I know that the Sabi handles are three piece, so they work. The only drawback is that you must remove the liitle nipple piece that would normally go beneath te head. That changes the look of the handle, but it still functions.

Top Bottom