What's new

Would this damage my brush

Hi, I'm new to all this, and have a quick question I was hoping to get some opinions on. Prior to Wetshaving I used an electric. I have a bottle of Anthony Logistics Electric Pre-Shave lotion left over from those days. http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.browse/category/shave/c/9/p/21

This is a product I was pretty happy with. It made a huge difference with the electric. As I read, I keep seeing poeple mention pre-shave oils or balms. I'm starting to think about seeing how the Electric Pre-shave would work before the lather. My biggest concern is whether it would be likely to have any ill-effects on my brush.

I would think that if it did not gumm up your electric then it should be ok. I would wait to see what some of the other guys have to say though, before you try it.

I have a couple of left-over bottles of pre-electric. I discovered that after showering, it makes a great hair tonic. I should mention that my hair has turned silver and as the hair greyed, it became pretty coarse. Pre-electric shave really makes grey/silver hair sparkle. Really.

I learned this by mistake.

:closedeye

Don't ask.

HTH

-- John Gehman

I could be wrong about this, but I think that most Electric Pre-Shave lotions actually dry out the skin, to help the whiskers become more pronounced to aid the electric shaver to cut the hair. So I would think that you would not want to use it as a pre-shave for wetshaving since the goal is to keep the beard as wet as possible.

Just my $00.02.

If it is a cheap brush - by all means go for it. If you paid more than $30 for the brush - why risk potentially harming it? Even if 100 guys say "it should be fine" if you spend $50 on a brush and it is eaten up or damaged by a product you spent $10 or so on, you'll feel a little silly....

Just my .02

webguru24 said:
I could be wrong about this, but I think that most Electric Pre-Shave lotions actually dry out the skin, to help the whiskers become more pronounced to aid the electric shaver to cut the hair. So I would think that you would not want to use it as a pre-shave for wetshaving since the goal is to keep the beard as wet as possible.

Just my $00.02.

Joe's right on the money.

As I understand it, dry electric shavers require the polar opposite of what you want when prepping for a traditional wet shave with a blade. As Joe said, with an electric shaver you want the hairs to be dry and stiff before you begin, so that they're easier to cut once they're inside the heads of the shaver.

Notice that the ingredients of many electric pre-shave lotions are alcohol-based. That's because they're designed to dry up the oils and moisture on your skin. As the natural moisture evaporates, the whiskers start to bristle up and stand up straighter.

Thanks for all the great replies! First, good point- I spent about $75 on a Shavemac and I certainly wouldn't want to ruin it over $10.

I hadn't really considered that electric pre-shave might not serve the same purpose as a pre-shave oil. However, now that you mention it I remember my whiskers always being very prickly when I used it, despite the fact that it does contain a vegetable emolient that leaves a very slick film on the skin to help the razor slide better.

Guess I'll just write this off as a bad idea and continue to enjoy my new hobby. If I decide I want to try a pre-shave treatment there are certainly plenty to choose from that were made for the purpose.

Charles

Many pre-electric shave lotions do purposely dry the skin out, as others have said. However, after reading the description and ingredients of this Anthony Logistics pre-electric, it doesn't contain alcohol, or oil. Thus, I don't think it will dry your face out or gunk up your brush.

This stuff looks decent, let us know how it works....

Ingredients:
Vegetable Emollients: Creates slip and smoothness on the skin. Kola Nut Extract Relieves inflammation, helps heal and calm the skin. Vitamin C Antioxidant, protects skin, helps increase elasticity, nourishes and tightens. Eucalyptus Extract Disinfects, heals, cools and refreshes. Peppermint Refreshes, soothes and stimulates. Antiseptic. Anti-inflammatory to men’s skin. Rosemary A natural skin purifier and astringent. Adds body and shine to hair. Helpful for sagging skin - toning and binding and may ease congestion, puffiness and swelling.

TraderJoe-
That's one thing that's always annoyed me a little about Anthony- they list an abbreviated list of ingredients on their site. I guess what they consider the important ingredients. Here is the complete list of ingredients, and the first one is alcohol.

Ingredients
Alcohol Denatured, Witch Hazel, Octydodecanol, Butylene Glycol, Peppermint Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globus Leaf Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Cococaprylate/ Caprate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol Dipelargonate, Cetyl, Octanoate, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Blue 1 (Ci 42090).

Avenger said:
TraderJoe-
That's one thing that's always annoyed me a little about Anthony- they list an abbreviated list of ingredients on their site. I guess what they consider the important ingredients. Here is the complete list of ingredients, and the first one is alcohol.

Ingredients
Alcohol Denatured, Witch Hazel, Octydodecanol, Butylene Glycol, Peppermint Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globus Leaf Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Cococaprylate/ Caprate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol Dipelargonate, Cetyl, Octanoate, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Bisabolol, Blue 1 (Ci 42090).

Aha! good catch. That is quite a trick... :mad:

Top Bottom