What's new

Would like a stiffer brush.

Good morning all.

I really like the shaving brush I have but I would like something a bit stiffer. Are they any good synthetic (or ‘vegan’) brushes that have a stiffer action?

Also does the size of the brush matter? I’ve seen some brushes in GFT that have very large brush heads; much larger than a standard brush.

Speaking of brushes, there was a really nice Swarovski crystal brush in GFT but the price was 3 figures!

Hope everyone on this forum is good and happy shaves!

Jason.

14510E67-04A0-45C8-861A-46EA785923E6.jpeg
8A46E686-E03C-48C0-8ED5-B2BC32B714F1.jpeg
3009C4F8-4270-4631-A3B8-2572625FFF9E.jpeg

Good backbone is not the forte of Synths imo. It can happen that they act springy and spray lather around if you are not careful. That being said I get good results with the Yaqi Beehive Synth, killer looks included.

I do like that blue and cream brush and that red green and blue brush you have!

If I was to get a new brush it must a silver metal handle to match my 39c Sledgehammer.

Jason.

The red/blue/green is the Yaqi Rainbow Pony - very soft but I like it.

Look at the Yaqi store on AliE they have a few silver handled ones but not with the knot of the Beehive.

If you can go over it that Boar is a byproduct of the industry I would suggest the Proraso Boar made by Omega —> excellent backbone, silver, affordable but needs some time to break in

Look at the Yaqi store on AliE they have a few silver handled ones but not with the knot of the Beehive.

If you can go over it that Boar is a byproduct of the industry I would suggest the Proraso Boar made by Omega —> excellent backbone, silver, affordable but needs some time to break in
Thanks for your helpful reply. Right I better head off to work! Happy shaving all!

Jason.

The Omega 11137 with ash wood handle is nice.

I have an older Omega Sintex synthetic that is fairly stiff - but it is very scratchy. I only use it as a travel brush because it dries quickly, doesn't get moldy, and I won't cry if I lose it because it was only $7.

As @Multum in parvo said you won't get good backbone from a synth. Boar is the way to go. Even some boars don't have have backbone.
But since you want "vegan" brushes, can't suggest a solution to you. Also the matchhing handle condition is very limiting.

I find some synthetic knots are set too low in order to achieve stiffness but, in doing so sacrifice a decent splay. Simpson T2 comes to mind in my experience.

If you want a silver handle how bout the modern reissues of the Rubberset 400? AP Shave Co makes a nice one and offer different knot options and he’ll work with you if you tell him what you desire.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Semogue Pharos synthetic has a bit more stiffness than any of my other synthetic brushes. It happens to be my favorite brush. I bought it in all three of the colors it's offered in, black, seafoam green and mustard yellow. The handle is a finished wood with a metal ring at the top. They all came with a Semogue sticker on the face of the handle which I removed immediately as it would have come off by itself anyway. 'Semogue' is permanently etched into the bottom of the handle. A very affordable, no nonsense, get the job done brush.

A tuxedo knot set low has too much backbone imo feels near impossible to splay. Omega s-brush is quite stiff I have one of the larger ones with a big loft. It's pretty hard to splay very stiff. Not sure what your brush you have now is to compare though do you like scrub, natural hairs, synthetics etc? Why do you want it stiffer so you can pick up soap easier?

Last edited:
Of all my many synthetics the Yaqi in this picture is the most stiff. They'll also ship it for free from their AliExpress store. The Trafalgar from Simpson would be a good choice, too, but is more expensive and has a short loft more than stiff fibers.
download.jpeg

I'm not sure if it's currently true but Tuxedo knotts were the stiffest bristle without considering depth sets and such. My Yaqi Tuxedo is the stiffest synth I own... and is a contender for stiffest overall.

There was a good write up of all the current synthetic types and what to expect but I couldn't find it. Perhapes some other gent can direct you.

I'm not sure if it's currently true but Tuxedo knotts were the stiffest bristle without considering depth sets and such. My Yaqi Tuxedo is the stiffest synth I own... and is a contender for stiffest overall.

There was a good write up of all the current synthetic types and what to expect but I couldn't find it. Perhapes some other gent can direct you.
Omega s-brush I think is the only one that beats tuxedo for stiffness I can't imagine mine at a lowered loft it's already fairly hard to splay with a close to 60mm loft. Why anyone would want such stiff brushes is beyond me. I like extreme scrub with enough just enough stiffness/backbone that I can pick up and lather any soap easily.

Here are two of my stiffest scrubbiest brushes, both have massive glue bumps. Kent VS70 Boar and Maseto Tuxedo, both 30mm and very affordable.
20211124_205617.jpg

Isn't the Hi-brush the high backbone Omega synth?
I don't know if the backbone is significantly higher in the regular hi-brush since I have only used the black hi-brush, but my larger S-brush blows the black hi-brush out of the water in stiffness/backbone.

Top Bottom