What's new

Would it be possible to make a safety razor that doesn't give you nicks?

Because like... cartridge razors don't really, right? But safety razors do.

It's strange because the main reason I switched to safety razors (over 10 years ago) were because they can shave off more days worth of growth with ease, and because the blades are much cheaper.

Would it be impossible to create a safety razor that was as nick-free as a cartridge one? Or would you have to make it just as mild, which therefore means it's no good for longer stubble or shaving off a beard?

Thanks all!

I don’t get nicks at all anymore.... it’s all about finding your setup. Razor/blade/soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because like... cartridge razors don't really, right? But safety razors do.

It's strange because the main reason I switched to safety razors (over 10 years ago) were because they can shave off more days worth of growth with ease, and because the blades are much cheaper.

Would it be impossible to create a safety razor that was as nick-free as a cartridge one? Or would you have to make it just as mild, which therefore means it's no good for longer stubble or shaving off a beard?

Thanks all!

I hardly nick myself with a straight razor. It’s all angle and pressure.

It’s only taken 7 years, but I can consistently get a nick free shave with just about any DE razor, regardless of aggressiveness or exposure. My go-to blade is Gillette yellow, very smooth for me.

I attribute this to learning my face and beard... direction of growth and areas that are prone to nicks and being careful in those areas.

Don't you guys think though that just... in general cartridge razors give fewer nicks than safety ones?

I think safety razors are awesome but this does seem to be a common issue that they have. It might just be because they're usually a bit more aggressive and that has both pros and cons.

Don't you guys think though that just... in general cartridge razors give fewer nicks than safety ones?

I think safety razors are awesome but this does seem to be a common issue that they have. It might just be because they're usually a bit more aggressive and that has both pros and cons.

No, not anymore. They just give me a great inexpensive shave.

I have had a nick from a cartridge razor but that was due to careless shaving so any razor has that capability.
Weepers, nicks and cuts are due to poor technique so it is not a problem with the tool.
Most DE razors will cope with a few days stubble without clogging but generally many weeks of growth should be cut by clippers first to ~6mm to make it easier to shave the stubble.
Cartridge razors are safety razors too. Yes, they are easier to use because they require minimum technique. They are less efficient than the DE or SE razors and they clog easily. With the DE razor you reduce stubble gradually so expecting a one pass very close shave is a tall order.

Last edited:
I have had a nick from a cartridge razor but that was due to careless shaving so any razor has that capability.
Weepers, nicks and cuts are due to poor technique so it is not a problem with the tool.
Most DE razors will cope with a few days stubble without clogging but generally many weeks of growth should be cut by clippers first to ~6mm to make it easier to shave the stubble.

Wouldn’t that be when a straight does the best job?

Hell, I've gotten nicked by an electric razor. More than once.

Good question, though.

Ah wow that's interesting. I wasn't sure if that could happen. I haven't used one in a very long time and my experience with them is very limited you see.

And thanks!

Sure cartridges don't nick you in the same way (at least for me). But I get much more irritation and ingrown from a cartridge. I'm ok with an occasional nick in exchange for not dealing with that.

Top Bottom