What's new

Would I be out of line if I did this ?

I have some straights that I got in a grab bag and I have no intention of trying to learn to use them.
Because of a medical condition, I take some blood thinners and the thought of the kinds of cuts I might get from a straight is scaring me.

There were other things in the grab bag that were more in my interest so I will be putting the straights up for sale. I think there are 5 of them in various conditions that I will try and sell as a lot.

There is another one however that is a different matter. I think it's beautiful and I plan to sell it separately. Determining a fair price for both me and the seller has been a challenge since I cannot find any info on it after about a weeks worth of searching.
It is far and away of a better quality than the rest of the lot.

Would I be in violation of ethics/rules if I post a picture and ask for an approximate value ?

Thanks

People probably can't give you values in the open forums, but if you posted some pics you might get someone chime in via PM. If you haven't already, try searching old BST threads or Ebay sales to get an idea.

Post a picture.....at the very least, someone may be able to get you more information which can help you try some different searches to determine the value.

As an established member with some good history here, no-one will give you any grief for posting a "what do you think this worth" thread.
It's the guys who come in here and use us as price-check before eBaying their razors (without participating anywhere else on the board) that cross the line.

OK folks, here it is, and I hope it's an "Oo"er and "Ah"er.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Supposedly the handle (?) is catalin/bakelite, and I am still thinking about restoring it for myself. But then I would be tempted to use it, and just handling it to take these pictures was scary. The metal rang when I bumped it against the wooden box.
The box says Solingen F. Emil Morsbach.

And thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

I do not know about the value but it appears that blade has a frown.

Paul

Thank you Paul, are you referring to the arc in the blade in this picture ?

So much to learn about these things.

Attachments

• $DSC02790.JPG
    $DSC02790.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 102

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just my honest opinion:

I wouldn't pay too much as the edge looks somewhat uneven. Being ignorant of it's true value, I wouldn't buy it due to the edge not being even end to end. In addition to the frown, the edge seems to taper, and not in a good way.

Yeah, the frown is the arc you've shown in the picture. It is not extreme and can be fixed though. After some cleaning and some repair work on the edge it looks like a nice razor.

The things that stand out to me which add value to the razor:
- Made in Solingen
- The scales are in particularly good condition. No visible cracks or gouges (From what I can see in the pictures)
- Inlays on the scales
- Triple pins are usually a sign of a higher end model
- Top and bottom jimps are also usually a sign of a higher priced model for its day.
- Fancy worked spine

Notable things which might keep the value down to a lower hemisphere. The maker isn't particularly famous or known which keeps its value into the low-average range. The frown will need to be honed out, which could be a lot of work and will lose some of the razors width. The blade is quite stained, while only cosmetic (usually), the closer it looks to new condition the more valuable.

Overall opinion, its a nice razor, but not fantastic. If it were me, I might buy it but I would not pay a whole lot for it. It will cost quite a bit (or take quite a bit of labor) to get it into serviceable condition.

As someone who uses straights I'm affraid when I would try to make it pretty trying to clear the blade sides of the rust and coloration the , what ever they call the etiching, would be lost. But that is just my thought......JR

Thanks again folks. From your comments I will just throw it in with the rest of the grab bag for one lump sum.
Too bad, since my AD is for bakelite/catalin, especially brushes. I can't resist them

And a especial thanks to Evan for the detailed explanation of things to look out for.

Top Bottom