What's new

Would appreciate some feedback

Hi -
So, as most folks know, thanks to the encouragement of many of the members here, I started up an online tea business: www.premium-Chinese-teas.biz.

The site is not quite complete but it has a fair start. I would appreciate any and all feedback on the site. I really would like to make it a top notch site and could use your help.

A note about pricing: I have generally marked up the prices over Scott's prices about 30% to cover some of the overhead costs of running the site. For B&B members, if you contact me directly on the forum, you can have 25% off of the prices listed on the web store. After all, you folks got me into this endeavor and you deserve a break on the prices.

But, the pricing note was really an aside. I could really use your comments on the web site itself.

Thanks in advance!

I like the site, and thank you for the link. One thing I noticed is that all the teawares are "out of stock". Is this because you haven't stocked them yet?

Also, are the pu-erh teas all you stock? What would be your recommendation, from among the offerings, for someone completely new to these teas?

:thumbup::thumbup:

Now the question is.....how's this guys customer service :glare:

There is lots of good competition out there so customer service will be key! I know I can count on you folks to give me immediate feedback if I fall down at any time. :w00t:

I like the site, and thank you for the link. One thing I noticed is that all the teawares are "out of stock". Is this because you haven't stocked them yet?

Also, are the pu-erh teas all you stock? What would be your recommendation, from among the offerings, for someone completely new to these teas?

Good question about the items listed as being out of stock. All of those items are actually in transit from China. It takes a while to build the site so I wanted to get the items listed. Is it too distracting to show the items that are not in stock? I do have an option to turn off visibility of any item that is not in stock very easily. If anyone is interested in reserving teawares or tea that is not in stock, I would be happy to keep track of your reservation and notify you when the item comes in. Sometimes this is a good thing to make sure that you get what you want.

If you want to see the complete listing of everything that is coming in, check out Group Buy #5 in my signature line. This contains most of the stuff except for some more aged teas that I recently ordered from a source in Hong Kong. Included in the Hong Kong group is some 80's loose Menhai shu and a limited amount of 03 Menhai purple 7542.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I like the look. It's pretty simple and straightfoward- right up my alley.

As for the "out of stock" items, I like seeing them. It's nice to know what's en route, and helps make future purchasing decisions easier. Perhaps you can alter the wording to "coming soon" so the viewer will think "ooh, look what's coming" rather than "damn, I missed it."

Can't wait for "the boat". :tongue_sm

I agree with Ouch. Its good to show the items that are out of stock as it gives one an idea of what's available in the future. What surprised me was that all were out.

Overall I like the design. However the homepage could use a little work. It should be very easy and upfront to navigate to the teas you want to see. I would break them out sheng puerh, shu, oolong, green, teawares etc. on that page so you can click directly on that word and it takes you to the thumbnail pics and description. Make them larger than the current font size for premium Chinese tea - teawares also. This way who ever is looking at the homepage can see the kinds of tea you carry right off the bat and not have to search for them. Think of how Scott has the breakdown on the left side of his store. Makes for easy navigation. If you fix that I think you will be in business. :biggrin:

Actually I would use the page after you click on premium Chinese tea that has the breakdown and just add teawares to that list now that I am looking at that page.

Last edited:
Thanks P_K!
I will look into your suggestions. I am somewhat constrained by the limitations of the templates and widgets provided by amazon.com. However, I am sure that a bigger part of my problem is my own lack of skill manipulating the templates and widgets.
I agree completely with you and will keep searching for ways to make those things happen.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
And let's not forget the one thing guaranteed to make the site look better

more tea

Hi David -
I am currently developing my supplier network but my primary current supplier is Scott Wilson at Yunnan Sourcing, LLC. I do have a few other suppliers that I am evaluating in Hong Kong, Taiwan and other parts of mainland China for tea. In addition, I am looking at the US resellers but their prices seem very high. They are usually charging close to the same rates that I am passing tea on to the members here as their wholesale price. Everyone has to make their 10 cents in this but it just seems like the US resellers are trying to make a bit too much.

So, that is my initial take at this very early stage of the process.

Hi there,

Nice site and business you are developing! I agree that the tea selection needs to be a little easier to navigate by separating them by type. Also, I think it is important to get the shipping policy section up asap. It will help you avoid needing to repeatedly answer questions of that nature.

I would suggest you not overlook the true noob to the world of fine Chinese teas. Offering sample sizes is great, but for a true novice it might be good to offer pre-assembled “sample packs”, maybe in the $10-15 range and consisting of a few appealing teas/types? Just a thought.

Oh, and shipping to Canada would be awesome. ;)

Good job!

I agree with nightlad on the availability of sample sizes. Then individuals can pick a couple or dozen of samples to try before deciding to purchase cakes or bulk of a particular tea

The links to blogs, etc. are nice....but you might add a page with definitions and/or a simple "tea primer" for those of us who aren't so knowledgeable.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I will work on incorporating your ideas.

I agree that the tea selection needs to be a little easier to navigate by separating them by type.I think that you will find that teas behind the main menu are separated by type of tea and also by most of the major factories. Also, I think it is important to get the shipping policy section up asap. I will devote some energy to this right away. It will help you avoid needing to repeatedly answer questions of that nature.

I would suggest you not overlook the true noob to the world of fine Chinese teas. Offering sample sizes is great, but for a true novice it might be good to offer pre-assembled “sample packs”, maybe in the $10-15 range and consisting of a few appealing teas/types? Just a thought. I love this idea. I will work on getting this in soonest.

Oh, and shipping to Canada would be awesome. ;) Contact me directly and I can always accomodate shipping to Canada. Based on experience with other customers in Canada, I have found that First Class postage provides nearly as timely shipping at a significantly reduced rate compared to Priority mail.

Good job!

I agree with nightlad on the availability of sample sizes. Then individuals can pick a couple or dozen of samples to try before deciding to purchase cakes or bulk of a particular tea

I should have over 80 types of pu-erh available in the next 2-3 months. I will also work on putting some combinations of samples together for beginning pu-erh explorers.

The links to blogs, etc. are nice....but you might add a page with definitions and/or a simple "tea primer" for those of us who aren't so knowledgeable.

Excellent idea! I will work on putting together some pages on different types of pu-erh, infusing technique and anything else I can think of to include.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback,

Best regards,
Steve

I like the site.
Perhaps an "About Us" statement would be good. Nothing much required in my mind but enough to establish that a customer is buying from a person, who is also a teahead, rather than an impersonal company that might have a different, shall we say, "moral compass". It makes a difference to me when I buy tea online. Perhaps even a Mission Statement if you wish.
Also, I agree with the suggestion that I think Ouch made about the "Out of Stock" tags. When I see this on a site I feel frustrated. "Coming Soon", or the like, might be more inclined to prompt anticipation.
Anyway, great start!

:thumbup:

I like the site.
Perhaps an "About Us" statement would be good. Nothing much required in my mind but enough to establish that a customer is buying from a person, who is also a teahead, rather than an impersonal company that might have a different, shall we say, "moral compass". It makes a difference to me when I buy tea online. Perhaps even a Mission Statement if you wish.
Also, I agree with the suggestion that I think Ouch made about the "Out of Stock" tags. When I see this on a site I feel frustrated. "Coming Soon", or the like, might be more inclined to prompt anticipation.
Anyway, great start!

:thumbup:

Outstanding suggestion about the "mission statement" and a bit in the "about us" section. Should have thought of that but then again that's why I have the cheering section here on the forum.

I researched in detail how to change the "out of stock" notice. Since amazon web sites are built with templates and widgets, there is no obvious way to change this so I have put in a request for technical support to get some help on this. Some of the dynamic aspects of the website are hidden from sight and I cannot get to the full html at least at first blush. Having said that, I will continue to push on this one because I think it is a great idea.

Just ordered a cake of the 2008 Xiaguan FT 'Exquisite Elegance", after reading such raves from the pantheon of Pu tasters here (you know who you are)

Well, haven't tried the tea...but have to commend the merchant. Well priced, the tea was shipped I think that day and arrived in perfect packaging in 48hrs. And there was even a surprise, for which I thank you Steve.

Nice start to your business. Best of luck!

A thought about the website. I'd really like to be able to see more than twelve items at a time when browsing. It feels clunky having to hit "next" so many times.

Top Bottom