What's new

Would a Rockwell 6s/6c be right for me?

I've been thinking about getting either the 6s or 6c but I thought I should ask for opinions before jumping in. For reference I've been using the Fatip open comb slant (FOCS) daily. I love it because it's so smooth; I don't feel the blade at all but still gets really close after the first pass. I do two passes: with and then against the grain without any irritation.

I think the Rockwell 6C/6S is right for anyone provided they have no problem with the size/thickness of the head. Some people complain about using it around the nose. I don't have any problem using my 6C. I especially think the 6C is a good value at $50 and it's even better when there's a sale.

I have both, I think Rockwell is a great shaver on # 4 or 5 baseplate. The lower settings are almost useless, and altought I prefer the more aggresive ones, I usually also do well with mild razors (Tech and Feather).

Still did not learned to love Fatip Slant. Tried 4 or 5 times, got bad shaves from it. But I did not give up. Will try again.

I think it's an excellent razor for those that want to try different options with a reference point. Many do have some issues with the head size, but it's something that's not been an issue for me. If price is a factor, the 6C would be a good choice.

I have both, I think Rockwell is a great shaver on # 4 or 5 baseplate. The lower settings are almost useless, and altought I prefer the more aggresive ones, I usually also do well with mild razors (Tech and Feather).

Still did not learned to love Fatip Slant. Tried 4 or 5 times, got bad shaves from it. But I did not give up. Will try again.
It took my a while to finally learn how to use the Fatip Slant. A lot of irritation during that time. I even almost sold it

Reactions: edw

Iridian

Cool and slimy
No, it would not be right for you or anyone else. There are much better razors out there. You can read about them in this forum.

Welcome to Badger and Blade. The mantra here is YMMV. 😀

But I am serious. I do not recommend the 6S or 6C.

Various Henson, Yates, RazoRock and japanese clones are not overly expensive and offer a better finish, quality and presumedly also a better shave.

The 6S is heavier than the 6C, maybe something to consider when you make your decision. Both razors are good, more a matter of taste which one to choose.

I personally love the 6s. It is not particularly aggressive. If you prefer mild to medium razors, it can be a great fit for you. I personally love the weight of it. If you like razors that are on the aggressive end, you may be disappointed, even with baseplate 6, which is what I use. It does give me an effortless shave that is almost mindless.

No, it would not be right for you or anyone else. There are much better razors out there. You can read about them in this forum.

Welcome to Badger and Blade. The mantra here is YMMV. 😀

But I am serious. I do not recommend the 6S or 6C.

Various Henson, Yates, RazoRock and japanese clones are not overly expensive and offer a better finish, quality and presumedly also a better shave.
What do you think of Karve? I’m interested in something with multiple plate levels

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Karve CB shaves with a fairly shallow angle which isn't my preference. I prefer a steep shave, so like e.g. Yates a lot better. I haven't seen many regular Karve users posting here, would be better if they describe it

If you consider it, C and D plate are a good start.

Maybe you already have some razors you have used before? That might help figuring out which level of aggression is most likely to be your thing.

It took my a while to finally learn how to use the Fatip Slant. A lot of irritation during that time. I even almost sold it

You’re already using a slant open comb, so a 6s might be like putting training wheels back on a bike after learning to ride it.

Karve CB C plate is good, I had one and liked it. Comparable to the 6s 4/5 plate. Might want to start with D though, C might be a little tame for you.

The Karve CB shaves with a fairly shallow angle which isn't my preference. I prefer a steep shave, so like e.g. Yates a lot better. I haven't seen many regular Karve users posting here, would be better if they describe it

If you consider it, C and D plate are a good start.

Maybe you already have some razors you have used before? That might help figuring out which level of aggression is most likely to be your thing.
I really like the Fatip open comb slant that I use daily. Efficient but smooth and little to no blade feel

You’re already using a slant open comb, so a 6s might be like putting training wheels back on a bike after learning to ride it.

Karve CB C plate is good, I had one and liked it. Comparable to the 6s 4/5 plate. Might want to start with D though, C might be a little tame for you.
Interesting point. I didn't know slants were more "advanced"

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I really like the Fatip open comb slant that I use daily. Efficient but smooth and little to no blade feel
Yes, that's a very good one. Smooth with no blade feel. But also efficient.

Maybe not smooth, but a test how much aggression you can bear: Game Changer .84 Jaws or normal open comb will show you much more blade feel than the Fatip.

The Lupo .95 OC is one of my personal favorites, this one is less aggressive than GC.84 OC. I would recommend the super knurl handle if you are in doubt which one would fit best.

Yes, that's a very good one. Smooth with no blade feel. But also efficient.

Maybe not smooth, but a test how much aggression you can bear: Game Changer .84 Jaws or normal open comb will show you much more blade feel than the Fatip.

The Lupo .95 OC is one of my personal favorites, this one is less aggressive than GC.84 OC. I would recommend the super knurl handle if you are in doubt which one would fit best.
I have the Lupo .95 but not the OC. Feels smooth but not as smooth as my Fatip slant. I'll have to try using it everyday.

The Rockwell 6C with plate 3 is in my top three razors. Gamechanger .68, and Karve with plate A are the other two. I've used more aggressive razors but enjoy a milder shave. Similar to Gillette Tech.

Yates makes several different plates for their razor and it’s not much more than the 6s. Might be an option to look at. I use the m plate with mine and love it. I will say though that there are a lot of Rockwell owners here and they use the heck out of that razor.
Another multiple plate razor is the Blackland era but I have no experience with that one.

I really like my Rockwell 6c (favorite plate: R4) and the FOCS, but find the Fatip to be more efficient while being as gentle, and with its smaller head, easier to maneuver under the nose. Plus being about $20 less, and all brass, makes me believe the Lo Storto may have finally cured my RAD (razor acquisition disorder).

Morning

Thinking of adding a 6C to my collection. I do however have a Progress and R41. Would this be worthwhile or a waste considering I have the adjustable option already and being less aggressive than the R41?

Morning

Thinking of adding a 6C to my collection. I do however have a Progress and R41. Would this be worthwhile or a waste considering I have the adjustable option already and being less aggressive than the R41?

Yeah, it would be a waste, I feel.
The progress is a superb razor, plus it's adjustable.
For upper end efficiency you have the R41.
6C would be going backwards tbh.

Even for the OP, it won't be the best option given the FOCS is already a more efficient razor than the 6S/C.

Top Bottom