What's new

Worth upgrading from the Razorock G37 Slant?

I own a Razorock G37, and love it. It provides a great shave compared to any other razor I've owned, which isn't many; of those, none have cost more than $20. The only con I would say, is that the head is smaller, allowing the DE blade to stick out a little on the sides. This can be slightly annoying when shaving close to my ears.

That said, I hear nothing but great things about the ATT S1/S2. It seems like it's the gold standard for slants. The only downside, for me, is the considerably high price tag. I could purchase 7 Razorocks for the same price. The Ikon gets mentioned a lot, but seems to be a bit mild (less efficient?) for a good number of shavers. So my question is, is it really worth saving up for an ATT S1/S2 or is there an equally good slant for a much lesser price?

(I've heard that the G37 is considered about mid-level when it comes to aggressiveness. I don't have any issues with it, hardly ever any nicks or cuts, but I don't want to push my luck too much. I'm not sure if aggressiveness directly correlates to efficiency, but I would like something that's efficient, but is comfortably smooth to use - I don't want to look like Jigsaw from the Punisher comics. My understanding is that the ATTs meet those qualifications, hence their appeal).

These sort of "is it worth it" questions are totally subjective. The G37 is hard to beat if you care about value for money. If you are getting good shaves with the G37, the main thing you gain by getting one of the more expensive slants is a better quality of workmanship. You can get more "aggression" but that is not necessarily a positive thing.

There is a pass-around thread going on right now for the Fatip Open Comb Slant. You could try it and see how it compares with what you have. The FOCS is all brass and offers a very smooth shave for $30-35.

I have the FOCS Piccolo version as well as a G37 and enjoy them both.

I have a ATT with both plates s1 & S2. I have to say the machining is top notch, but I still haven't found the right razor blades to defeat my Razo German 37. My opinion is the German 37 shaves better, but this is where personal preference comes into play. I find the S1 plate too mild and the S2 plate a little too aggressive (not as smooth as G 37) I am sure there are plenty of people who would put the ATT s1 & S2 over the German 37 though.

I've had the ATT SE set, and never developed a liking for it. I would honestly say that RazoRock's Hawk V3 delivers the same shave, with a very similar head style, at 1/2 the ATT price in SS.

My favorite AC SE is the Occam Oren, but it is a decidedly different look and feel.

These sort of "is it worth it" questions are totally subjective. The G37 is hard to beat if you care about value for money. If you are getting good shaves with the G37, the main thing you gain by getting one of the more expensive slants is a better quality of workmanship. You can get more "aggression" but that is not necessarily a positive thing.

There is a pass-around thread going on right now for the Fatip Open Comb Slant. You could try it and see how it compares with what you have. The FOCS is all brass and offers a very smooth shave for $30-35.

I have the FOCS Piccolo version as well as a G37 and enjoy them both.
I took advantage of this passaround and did try the fatip...and liked it a lot.
This may be a good option without breaking the bank...The gold one being passed around looks very nice too...Add yourself to the list and give it a try

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I took advantage of this passaround and did try the fatip...and liked it a lot.
This may be a good option without breaking the bank...The gold one being passed around looks very nice too...Add yourself to the list and give it a try

The Parker Semi slant is also a good one....but maybe the fatip beats it in efficiency.

Personally, if you're getting, smooth, efficient, and comfortable shaves why seek out another razor?[emoji848]

Remember, the handle only holds the blade. If, on the other hand, you're wanting a new toy. Then get it.[emoji6]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Personally, if you're getting, smooth, efficient, and comfortable shaves why seek out another razor?[emoji848]

Remember, the handle only holds the blade. If, on the other hand, you're wanting a new toy. Then get it.[emoji6]

I do get good shaves; by far better than my other razors. However, I shave my head also, and I have some spots that seem to need 5 - 8 passes to get the areas to a BBS (which I love/crave). I don't know why that is, I seem to shave in every possible direction (WTG, XTG, ATG). With the G37, those extra passes have gotten that much smoother, with very little, if any, irritation. On the flip side, it takes me a fair amount of time to finish shaving because of this. In a way, this limits me to shaving in the evening only. If I could reduce the number of passes even more, but keep the smoothness, I'd be more than overjoyed.

I've had the ATT SE set, and never developed a liking for it. I would honestly say that RazoRock's Hawk V3 delivers the same shave, with a very similar head style, at 1/2 the ATT price in SS.

My favorite AC SE is the Occam Oren, but it is a decidedly different look and feel.
OP is not talking about the SE, which uses AC blades. He is talking about ATT's DE slant razors, the S1 (safety bar) and S2 (open comb).

One of these days I want to try a Wunderbar but until then I have yet to find a better slant than my German 37 for value. I only got rid of mine because I purchased a lot of razors with a Hoffritz which is the same exact design as the G37 and after cleaning it up and selling some of the rest of the lot it was free to me.

My advice though is if you are interested in trying different ones look on the BST or the Bay and buy a used one. That way if you don't like it you can usually get about what you paid for it back if you resell it yourself.

I do get good shaves; by far better than my other razors. However, I shave my head also, and I have some spots that seem to need 5 - 8 passes to get the areas to a BBS (which I love/crave). I don't know why that is, I seem to shave in every possible direction (WTG, XTG, ATG). With the G37, those extra passes have gotten that much smoother, with very little, if any, irritation. On the flip side, it takes me a fair amount of time to finish shaving because of this. In a way, this limits me to shaving in the evening only. If I could reduce the number of passes even more, but keep the smoothness, I'd be more than overjoyed.
Have you considered the Merkur 39c (The Sledgehammer) which is the head of a Merkur 37c, but has a longer handle. It might make your head shaving easier.[emoji846]

I have a ATT with both plates s1 & S2. I have to say the machining is top notch, but I still haven't found the right razor blades to defeat my Razo German 37. My opinion is the German 37 shaves better, but this is where personal preference comes into play. I find the S1 plate too mild and the S2 plate a little too aggressive (not as smooth as G 37) I am sure there are plenty of people who would put the ATT s1 & S2 over the German 37 though.
I own a couple hundred razors and I have to admit, the German 37 is really hard to beat. Even if I don't reach for it but once every 6-8 months, it always impresses me. I love the way it sings.

Have you considered the Merkur 39c (The Sledgehammer) which is the head of a Merkur 37c, but has a longer handle. It might make your head shaving easier.[emoji846]

Is that only a two piece razor? I would prefer a 3 piece since I can switch handles if ever I need to.

Re: Fatip, they do make a safety bar slant if open comb isn’t your thing. I have the FOCS and enjoy it, but not as much as the G37. I think Maggard’s and West Coast both sell slant heads if you’re not looking at spending Wunderbar money, but might not be considered “upgrades” from the G37.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The only brand new DE razor I ever bought was the Razorock German 37 slant. I guess I got lucky. I honestly don't use it much, because it is so automatic that it is boring! You almost have to try to cut yourself with it.

If I was spending your money, I think I would buy another two or three of those RR G 37 slant heads and save them for later, away from moisture and corrosives.

I'm soon to be 59, so I think I don't need a backup, lol. If I drop it I might buy another?

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
If you are enjoying the shave and haven’t got a bad case of RAD then stick to what you have. Or not!

Top Bottom