What's new

Worst-smelling shaving cream?

I bought a Williams Shave Stick tin tube to use for travel, but there was an old Williams Stick in there, mostly untouched. That was putrid. What, 70 years old or so with a little rancid oil and eau de "hot attic"?

But for modern shave creams, it's gotta be Derby Lemon -- too much like bathroom cleaner.

From a post in october 2007:

"French Vetyver. I baptised this cream "French Vomit" because of its nauseating smell, or rather stench. The olfactory sensation is similar to GFT's Sandalwood, which I described as "a mixture of stale cheese (roquefort, four years past its expiry date), rotten eggs and lizzard's ****", although I think GFT possibly mislabeled their sample. The Cyril Salter "Indian Sandalwood" smells lovely, one of the best Sandalwood scents right out of the bowl... All other scents smell lovely and natural (the almond of course rather strong). But the French Vetyver is a definite no-no to me. I will quickly seal the bowl with a blowtorch, put it in a hazmat bag, attach a stone to it and drop it in the river.":lol::lol: I was in a lyrical mood...

Anything vetiver. Smells like a cross between burning chicken feathers and cheap cigars.

From http://www.vetiver.org/THA_gloss.htm :

Vetiver Scent:

Vetiverim's definition: n. a pleasant aroma released from the vetiver root dug from the soil and hanged in the shade, believed to have a therapeutic effect in healing stroke, headaches, and delaying senile decay.

Explanation: Indian poets referred to vetiver scent as “the smell of the first monsoon shower on parched soil”, and “the perfume of a rejuvenated earth”.

I guess nobody remembers good ol fashioned US Palmolive!

I dont know why everyone is dissing Proraso...it smells like eucalyptus and a little mentol. I dont think its the greatest smelling but its definitely not bad.

Plus great for this hot weather.

Anything Vetiver is terrible. Charles Barkley terrrible! I have to say, TOBS Avocado has a terrible scent as well. I don't understand how someone reached the conclusion that an avocado scent was appropriate for fine shaving.

Anything Vetiver is terrible. Charles Barkley terrrible! I have to say, TOBS Avocado has a terrible scent as well. I don't understand how someone reached the conclusion that an avocado scent was appropriate for fine shaving.

Avocados dont really have a scent. It is called avocado because it has avocado oil in it.(which is great) I think it smells pretty good and would describe it as a cucumber/melon smell.

To each their own...but there are alot worse smells than TOBS avocado.

I don't really have a vote for the worst smelling.

Proraso smells all right to me.

All of the EUROPEAN Palmolives are great as far as I am concerned. I think some clarification is called for on the Palmolive Red smelling like axle grease and having the visual appeal of industrial waste as that is the US version of the cream you are referring too--now thankfully discontinued. :smile:

A lot of helpful data within this thread. Some the smells I really like, others folks can not stand. Definatly a YMMV thing.

Hmph...I quite enjoy the smell of Green Proraso. I was initially turned off by all the negatives, but I got some and I really like it! It's not my favorite by any means, but it's not bad--all I smell is soapy eucalyptus and menthol.

Smells clean, fresh, green to me. Great for this Texas heat!

This thread just reminds me that one man's junk is another man's treasure. I think Taylor's Avocado has a great scent, and I love their rose and lavender scents as well.

Proraso has a medicinal menthol smell, so it rates low on my own subjective scale only because the Taylor of Old Bond Street, Floris JF, and Nancy Boy creams smell so good to me. I don't find the Proraso smell off-putting, it's merely less appealing than the scents of my other creams and soaps.

Top Bottom