What's new

Worst Shaving Advice You Have Ever Gotten

I don't know that I ever got bad advice but I know the worst shaving mistake I ever made: trying to stick with a Gillette Trac II razor for years when I was young!

This really wasn't so much advice as just dumb thinking on my part:

Shave in one direction in long strokes. Also, shaving straight up on the neck.

Side note: I cannot shave straight up on my neck or chin without cuts. I thought when I did that it was the razor's fault. Well not anymore. It was mine, and I only figured that out after like two years of using safety razors! :302:

This really wasn't so much advice as just dumb thinking on my part:

Shave in one direction in long strokes. Also, shaving straight up on the neck.

Side note: I cannot shave straight up on my neck or chin without cuts. I thought when I did that it was the razor's fault. Well not anymore. It was mine, and I only figured that out after like two years of using safety razors! :302:

I shave in long strokes, and upwards on my neck against the grain with a straight razor!

What on this green Earth is "shave cloth"? The towel I use to wipe my face dry after my shave?

I swear if this is it I'm DONE with all of you guys
There was a thing called "method shaving," a system of passes, accompanied by a product line sold by a man named Charles Roberts, who operated a shaving supply store in Austin, TX, until his death in 2015. His product line, Hydrolast, included a rough piece of fabric on which you would build a lather and then use the fabric to apply it to your face. I'm sure there are members here who can go into greater detail about it, but those are the broad strokes, so to speak. As far as I can tell, method shaving pretty much died when he did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There was a thing called "method shaving," a system of passes, accompanied by a product line sold by a man named Charles Roberts, who operated a shaving supply store in Austin, TX, until his death in 2015. His product line, Hydrolast, included a rough piece of fabric on which you would build a lather and then use the fabric to apply it to your face. I'm sure there are members here who can go into greater detail about it, but those are the broad strokes, so to speak. As far as I can tell, method shaving pretty much died when he did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
There are videos explaining method shaving on YouTube and from what I can see it is needlessly over complex, tedious and devoid of the pleasure that shaving can provide. To my eye it is nothing more than a flim flam marketing method to sell products. That said, I have never tried it and perhaps it is very effective but it is not for me. It is interesting to see it was apparently endorsed by Mantic who I understand is well respected but whos videos I have never watched.

Top Bottom