What's new

Worst Shaving Advice You Have Ever Gotten

One can infuriate while being totally respectful. That’s the approach my “step-mother” and I take.

I don't agree with that. I tried my best to "hash it out" with my mother in law once many years ago. I accused her of saying something about someone close to me and she denied it even though I was standing right next to her when she said it. She then asked me if I was calling her a liar. When I said yes, she then said "F... you!" And with that I threw her out of my house. Yes, that's right, you heard right. I threw my mother in law out of my house. I literally said "Get the f... out of my house!" And she left with her husband. Needless to say my wife was not happy. Now, she actually believed me that her mother had said what I said she had said. But she felt that I could have handled the altercation a lot better. It was on a Saturday or Sunday. Then during the week I called one of her other daughters who was the person she was talking to during that fateful conversation and asked her who her mother was talking about. Well, she wasn't talking about the person close to me that I thought she was talking about and instead was talking about her other daughter. Well, I immediately felt nauseous. That next weekend I drove up to her house, alone, and apologized in person. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. I learned never to assume anything and to make sure you have all of your facts straight BEFORE you throw your mother in law out of the house.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
1. Let the weight of the razor do the work. That didn't work for my Merkur 45 and it doesn't work at all on an up stroke. Better to say start with the razor just grazing the face and increase the pressure very slowly if the razor is not cutting the hair.

2. You need to try this new synthetic fiber, you'll never use a natural brush again. Mother nature has not been matched let alone bettered.

I hate to say it but the worst shaving advice I ever got was from my father, may he rest in peace. He gave me his used electric razor when I was a teen and said I should use it for shaving. It took me all of a day or two to realize that it didn't do anything. I hated it.

My dad also gave me his used electric for shaving, and I also hated it once my facial hair grew in enough to realize how bad it was. My parents got me a new electric of my own a few years later, and that one didn't work so well either. Turns out I have a much tougher beard than my dad, so electrics always felt almost like they were pulling out the hair. Though, to be fair, the canned foam + carts I switched to in college weren't that much better, and I couldn't use a cart for that long because my beard always clogged them...which lead to me shaving less often...which lead to even more clogging and even more pain. I couldn't get a pain-free shave until I discovered B&B and wetshaving the year after I graduated.

Also, my dad didn't use aftershave for some reason, so I didn't realize aftershave was a thing until I got on B&B. Using Nivea Sensitive (the first ASB I tried) for the first time was a huge eye-opener, and it's still one of my favorite aftershaves.

The worst? I would say the worst I ever got was those Gillette commercials back in the 80s with a graphic showing a two-blade cartridge.

"The first blade lifts the hair, the second blade cuts it! And the remainder sinks to below the surface of the skin!"

What utter nonsense. Sure, that second blade could do that, provided I dragged the razor across my face at light speed. And the graphic never showed the chopped hairs going under the blades and clogging up everything. Or how running hot water ovwr it didn't clear out that clog. And you had to tap the razor on the edge of the sink like a conductor getting the orchestra's attention by tapping his baton on the podium.
I don’t think that’s just Gillette and that’s not actually advice. Otherwise every commercial is.

1. Let the weight of the razor do the work. That didn't work for my Merkur 45 and it doesn't work at all on an up stroke. Better to say start with the razor just grazing the face and increase the pressure very slowly if the razor is not cutting the hair.

I think the issue is that a lot of people are used to putting so much pressure on the razor (and getting away with it because they're using a cart) that telling them to use pressure at all is risking them going way overboard. I always did find the advice of letting the weight of the razor do the work to be useful, even if that was not literally what I was doing usually. I guess the happy medium is "use way less pressure than you think you need, then use less pressure than that".

2. You need to try this new synthetic fiber, you'll never use a natural brush again. Mother nature has not been matched let alone bettered.

I like that synths have given shavers an option for a cheap, soft brush, and that they give cruelty-free shavers an option besides horse (and vegan shavers an option at all). But I do think they're really overhyped...they've got a place in the shaving ecosystem, but they're definitely not for everybody. I think a lot of people just assume everyone loves soft brushes, not realizing some of us prefer some scrub to our brush. Though I'll admit I'm a tad curious about the Chubby 2 synthetic, though that might just be the Simpson's collector in me...

My father never gave me any advice on shaving. I had to learn on my own. I only started DE shaving last year. And again I learned on my own. I watched one video, I think it was Kev Shaves on YouTube and I thought that doesn’t look difficult at all. 1st shave I was hooked.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
not realizing some of us prefer some scrub to our brush. Though I'll admit I'm a tad curious about the Chubby 2 synthetic, though that might just be the Simpson's collector in me...
Yup, I have a Shavemac D01 2 band flat top that can poke holes in drywall with it's backbone, LOL. I don't want a brush that feels like angel flatulence against my face. Granted my horsehair brush is not long on back bone, but it also doesn't vomit water at inopportune times like most synthetics. The Chubby 2 is probably the only synth I have my eye on and very loosely at that, as I'm currently restraining and sabbatical-ing my way forward. Who knows I may just come to appreciate the gear I've got and never go further. I hope to end up with less software and hardware when it's all over.

The worst advice I took was from Geofatboy on YouTube when he said a Parker 99r was good for beginners. I forget what vid he said that on, but I took that advice, bought one, and had a year of cruddy shaves with that razor even after I took the time to hone my technique. Turned me off of DE shaving to the point I got rid of my razor and blades, and went back to disposables for a while before I got an injector.

Don't use a Parker 99r as a beginner razor, gents.

Now, in terms of razors and brushes...yeah, the cheap stuff will leave you sad. Unless you end up liking boar, in which case you can get world-class brushes for under $30.

Maybe you are right for brushes. Razors not so much.
My starter kit with shippng was 55€ (8-9€ shippng) and it included

EJ DE89
Omega boar (the ridiculosly large model, forgot the marking)
Tube of Proraso green
Sampler pack of blades
Styptic stick

EJ DE89 you can get in store for 35€, you can get Wilkinson TTO for 20€. I would say this is cheap for a tool that will last years to come. And are thse 2 razors considered cheap in terms of performance? I don't think so.

Do you remember how he believed you could accomplish this training? I am visualizing either aggressive ATG face stroking, high-speed fan blasting your hair ATG, leaving out beard treats to entice your beard to grow towards it, the use of beard repellent... My imagination is running wild. I would appreciate some enlightenment.

I have heard that from multiple people over the past 30 years. The thought that was by shaving in only one direction (e.g., straight down) you would train the hair to grow in that direction. Similar to thinking you could train your head hair to grow in certain directions by combing it or brushing it a certain way.

The best advise
Try mastering a normal de first if you want to learn properly (not that oneblade genesis you rave about) Jup I learned from that and still do.
And I still like se razors with a tilting head toooo

The worst
Take A slant (paa alu intergalactic piece of....) or a torque. Oh use feather or kai in those....
one first aid kit later.

Stupid things I still want to try kamasori style razor, hard soap (I am a croap fan)

A day without mistakes is a day not learned. And sometimes it is better to ignore good advise.

Lol I actually use a sisal scrub pad for applying my pre shave soap and a brush for the shaving soap
Works for me

"Try the Veg!"

AA

tried that just couldn't get a good lather from it no matter what I tried .
Broccoli1.jpg

R

romsitsa

And the graphic never showed the chopped hairs going under the blades and clogging up everything. Or how running hot water ovwr it didn't clear out that clog. And you had to tap the razor on the edge of the sink like a conductor getting the orchestra's attention by tapping his baton on the podium.

Myself 30 years ago, thank you Sir.

Adam

Top Bottom