What's new

Worst shave I've ever had

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Wow, today's shave went so wrong...

Never had such a bad shave. I had to dump both my blade and my brush mid-shave.

First the blade - I wanted to try the new (to me) Gillette Super Thins today. I've bought them on the auction site (made in Thailand). People said they were good blades. Well, I don't know what happened to the ones I've got! The blade was so dull and tugged so bad, it was painful. I mean really painful. Never had such a lousy feeling from any blade! Had to throw it away and replace it with Personna Red just to finish the shave. It looks like I will be throwing the whole sleeve away. Don't want anything to do with these!

And then the brush! My trusty Epsilon Brown Horse brush, that I loved, and have used for a couple of years, started shedding so badly that my face got covered with horse hair. In the middle of the shave. I mean, it has lost a few hairs since I've started using it, but nothing too bad. Didn't expect it to start shedding so badly all of a sudden. So I had to dump this brush in the middle of the shave as well.
Wow, today was not a good day...

Sorry to hear that. I was thinking about ordering a few Super Thins to try. At $.61 cents CAD per blade & now your review, I will pass on them.

Please post photos of your Super Thin blade & packaging. I don't mean generic photos, but that of the exact blade you used, please.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
1.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Looks like an authentic blade. Give it a go again with a better brush. What soap/cream are you using as well as your prep method and razor? I get superb shaves with this blade. Go figure.

Those are fake Super Thins. I read about them 2 years ago on the Internet. Don't remember the site. Just look at my blades. The font on the back of the envelope is different. The way the paper is cut is different. Look at the printing on the blade. Where is the arrow on my blade, and where is it on your? Look at the short printed lines on the tabs of the blade. There is a year code on my blade [on the back of the blade], but none on your. "New Imporved" is in different font. And last but not least. The edges on your blade look very irregular.
That's why I stopped buying Super Thins.

super thin.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191015

Part of the Tech Clone shave-off I've been posting.

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Unbranded (Tech Clone Wannabe - link below so you can avoid this one), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Cologne: Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC

This is not a true Tech Clone in that there are four smaller oval slots on each side instead of the two larger slots on the Techs and the Tech Clones.

Blade alignment was problematic. Took a couple of tries to get the Personna Red properly centered.

Only made it WTG and partially XTG when I threw in the towel on this razor. Harsh and inefficient - not my cup of tea.

Every Tech Clone I've shaved with in this series shaves a lot better than this razor. I loaded the Personna in the Tiger and comfortably finished up my shave.

Not recommended.

1.5/10

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183239548500

Seems odd that a counterfeiter would replicate the inside of a wrapper with a Vector advertisement since that cannot be seen until opened(?). The black hash marks off to the sides are thinner than my original, but as a point of reference I have a tuck of perfect fake Super Gillette Blue Blades from China and they have the more common thicker hash marks as well as everything on the blade & box is perfectly copied, but they are fake and shave like a chisel. Go figure.

Where did you get these blades from, OP?

I know these are authentic:

The worse shave I ever had was a Zaza platinum......absolutely the worse...it didn't even cut hardly at all.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Top Bottom