What's new

Worst shave ever (SOH)

Now, there's a moral to this story. So stay with me for a couple of minutes.

I had just come home from work. My wife and our two boys had just gone to visit their grandpa (my father, and the patriarch in the clan), so I decided I wanted to relax and have an easy meal before having a shower and a shave before getting the rest of today's work done (I'm a teacher, so I usually do some lesson planning or grading of papers in the evenings)

I sat down, had a couple of sandwiches, mindlessly watched some TV, and suddenly I woke up two hours later. I had napped. Involuntarily. For two hours. I was suddenly in a bit of a hurry. I put my silvertip brush in a bowl of hot water, had a quick shower, dabbed my face with a towel, applied a little shaving oil, and lathered up from my Tabac puck. The lather was fine, the skin felt supple. Everything felt alright.

Now, a few months ago I jumped on an Ebay opportunity and bought 100 Feather blades from a vendor in Hong Kong. It was dirt cheap, and shipping was free. Of course, I had a slight suspicion that the blades could be counterfeit, but I thought: "What's the worst thing that can happen? That they're too dull?" Boy, I did not see this coming.

You might start getting the idea, or what?

Well, I unwrapped one of these blades, loaded it in my HD Tech, a combination that has been proven to be very successful when in a bit of a hurry and there's very little time to enjoy the moment.

I started the first pass. WTG, of course. I immediately felt that something wasn't perfect. The shave felt a little rough. Then I started on the thin, rather sensitive skin on the neck. I felt a sting. "A bit too clumsy, I thought". Three small veepers were visible.

I have a sort of a goatee and a stache, which require some precision shaping around the edges. I started with my chin, and removing the hairs went ok, until I suddenly felt a sharp sting. "There must have been an uneven spot", I thought.

Then it was time for the area under and slightly to the side of the nose. I have to change the angle of the razor quite a bit here.

The razor snagged. In my skin. In the middle of a quick, snappy movement. I felt an immediate burn, blood was trickling down over my lips. The lather turned pink. The blade had literally dug into the skin, and scraped it off completely in a small area.

I was now bleeding, although not life-threatingly, from under the nose, the chin and under the jaw. I looked like an extra in a Jean Claude Van Damme-movie. And it hurt like a mudderfudger.

I started frantically rinsing my face with cold water, and the pain got new and more interesting colours. I wiped my face with a new towel. It also looked like something out of a movie. Or possibly like a prop from an episode of "Dexter". There was no way around it.

I had to use the styptic pencil. Generously. I had doubts. I had never had cuts like these, and I doubted that it would work with such profuse bleeding. I wet the tip of the styptic pencil, rubbed it hard directly on the cut by the nose. OK. I'll be honest. The sounds escaping my throat were not very manly. But boy, did it work! I was impressed!

After a few more moments of embarassing agony, the bleeding stopped. But my face was red, irritated, the cuts were visible from a mile away. I used some aloe vera, applied Bulldog AS balm generously and went to my home office.

A few moments later, I could actually feel the skin getting warmer. My cheeks felt tender and hot, almost like I had an allergic reaction.

When my wife came home, she said nothing at first. My 3-year-old son said: "Daddy, did somebody hit you in the face? Hitting in the face is not nice. Not even when it's just for fun". Then he went upstairs to his room. I said to my wife: "Not really the greatest shave." She said mockingly: "Oh, you poor thing. you shouldn't play with sharp objects when you're home alone". My 8 year-old gave me a quick, puzzled look and said "You smell nice, dad".

OK. So here's the moral of the story. Or should I say Lessons Learned:
1. Buying very cheap razor blades is just like buying anything else very cheaply. You get what you pay for. And when the item in question is the sharpes object known to man, designed to glide across your skin, saving a few bucks on them might not be what grants you an automatic membership in MENSA...
2. Styptic pencils are excellent.

Have recently had a similar experience with some cheap blades I picked up from the local Hyvee. Lesson learned.

My son's quote after an early session with a shavette - "Dad, you look like you lost a fight with a weedeater!"

Mine was a Shark blade. Had a similar experience with my first attempt (3 passes and all) with a Weck sextoblade, but that was all me. Sorry man.

*maybe you could cork the blade and get a good shave ...but I bet you can't bring yourself to try.

I haven't had a bad experience with the discount blades yet, but twice now I've sliced the bejeebers out of my ear with my Futur. Simple lazy movement to get "behind" the ear I've pulled a massively exposed blade too close to the ear and it's a scene from Psycho. Even though I've probably shaved a couple dozen times with no incident from the Futur, it is now taken its place in my rack of shame: those razors that I'm not going to be using again any time soon. My Progress is still in my good razor drawer.

This goes to show that there really is some truth in the saying:

"There are three kinds of people:
Those who learn from reading about other people's experiences, those who learn through observation of other people's actions, and those who have to **** on the electric fence themselves before they learn."

I once met a shavette that didn't like me very much. It left a gash on my cheek and in this instance, the stypic pencil worked very well to stop the bleeding.

Worst ever was a Tiger 3H blade in a ball-end Old Type. Little beard reduction, mostly a lot of tugging.

Most irritating was a Chinese Gillette Super Blue blade in a thin-cap Old Type. Decent shave, but my neck was irritated to no end.

Yesterday I scratched the skin where I had the worst cut. It didn't look too bad before this. It looked more like a minor burn than a cut after the whole incident. Because the styptic pencil made the blood draw away from the surface.

Yesterday, however, it started to bleed after I scratched it. Now I have dark scab next to my nose. I am throwing those "feathers" away tonight.

Have recently had a similar experience with some cheap blades I picked up from the local Hyvee. Lesson learned.

What's a Hyvee? (A Norwegian in Norway over here)

My son's quote after an early session with a shavette - "Dad, you look like you lost a fight with a weedeater!"

:thumbup: Our lives would so much poorer without kids.

Mine was a Shark blade. Had a similar experience with my first attempt (3 passes and all) with a Weck sextoblade, but that was all me. Sorry man.

*maybe you could cork the blade and get a good shave ...but I bet you can't bring yourself to try.
Those blades were cheap, and there's NO way I'm giving them another try. They're going to be put in salt water (to dull them), and then thrown away!

Oh I get it! Your 8 year old likes the smell of tabac, poor thing.

Haha:001_smile, yes, he actually does.

I haven't had a bad experience with the discount blades yet, but twice now I've sliced the bejeebers out of my ear with my Futur. Simple lazy movement to get "behind" the ear I've pulled a massively exposed blade too close to the ear and it's a scene from Psycho. Even though I've probably shaved a couple dozen times with no incident from the Futur, it is now taken its place in my rack of shame: those razors that I'm not going to be using again any time soon. My Progress is still in my good razor drawer.
Well, since the Futur is an attractive razor on the market, and quite expensive, why don't you sell it? If it wasn't for the insane shipping costs to Norway, I for one would be interested!:001_smile

I once met a shavette that didn't like me very much. It left a gash on my cheek and in this instance, the stypic pencil worked very well to stop the bleeding.

Yeah, I don't understand why styptic pencils are not available everywhere! My late teens would have been so much easier if I had known a way to stop bleeding more efficiently than with TP...

Worst ever was a Tiger 3H blade in a ball-end Old Type. Little beard reduction, mostly a lot of tugging.

Most irritating was a Chinese Gillette Super Blue blade in a thin-cap Old Type. Decent shave, but my neck was irritated to no end.

Making DE blades is really easy in itself. The process is simple. But if they use low quality steel and cheap machines, and file the edge too quickly, the results will be unpredictable. I think many Chinese manufacturers don't even try to ensure the quality, since they spew out such enormous amounts of blades anyway. I'm going to stick to confirmed sources from now on!

Let me just say upfront that MENSA has never contacted me...
My mistake was similar to yours: I tried Wilkinson Sword blades, based on the price and on commercials I remember seeing as a kid. Not a smart move. Yes, styptic pencils ARE excellent!

Let me just say upfront that MENSA has never contacted me...
My mistake was similar to yours: I tried Wilkinson Sword blades, based on the price and on commercials I remember seeing as a kid. Not a smart move. Yes, styptic pencils ARE excellent!
Let's hope we have learned!

Yup...as my Dad used to say, "You buy cheap, you get cheap." Kids are so perceptive...great quotes.

And yes, styptic pencils are wonderful. Been there done that. Mine came into prominent use after a fight with a shavette...the shavette won.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
To speed recovery: go to Balestrand. Stay in the Kivknes. Have the smorgasbord and finish with some Freia chocolates.

Throw the bad blades in the fjord! (sorry. recycle them of course.)

AA

Yup...as my Dad used to say, "You buy cheap, you get cheap." Kids are so perceptive...great quotes.

And yes, styptic pencils are wonderful. Been there done that. Mine came into prominent use after a fight with a shavette...the shavette won.
I have yet to try a shavette. I am thinking about it. Still thinking about it :001_smile

To speed recovery: go to Balestrand. Stay in the Kivknes. Have the smorgasbord and finish with some Freia chocolates.

Throw the bad blades in the fjord! (sorry. recycle them of course.)

AA
Haha, I just had some Freia Kvikk Lunsj, and it helps for anything. Immediately after the "accident" I went for a walk in a salty thunderstorm. Emotionally I healed a little. Physically, not so much :laugh:.
Balestrand is a nice place. A few hours drive from here.

Dude. Unwrap the next blade, palm-strop it a couple of times, and try again. Don't throw away a whole pack of blades based on one bad shave.

Top Bottom