What's new

Worst ever shave with Gem OCMM

Just curious, which version of the OCMM do you have ? 1st ( no bumps ) or 2nd ( bumps) , The bumps changed the blade angle making the 2nd generation OCMM slightly less aggressive. It will still bite if you let it but there is a difference in the two.
It has bumps, so it must be 2nd generation.

The downside to GEM blades is, for me as well, that the first shave or two on a fresh blade have the potential to be pretty rough. I actually get really good results taming those first couple of shaves by hand stropping the blades. Every time I get a new blade from the box I give it several firm "passes" across the palm. Now, hand stropping beyond this point isn't going to give us any benefit, but I haven't suffered my face being ripped up from a fresh blade in years. Give that a go and I bet you'll notice a difference. Also, just for good measure, I always pay close attention to the positioning of the blade as I close the razor. It seems like the edge doesn't always play nice and seat firmly wedged where it should be.

The downside to GEM blades is, for me as well, that the first shave or two on a fresh blade have the potential to be pretty rough. I actually get really good results taming those first couple of shaves by hand stropping the blades. Every time I get a new blade from the box I give it several firm "passes" across the palm. Now, hand stropping beyond this point isn't going to give us any benefit, but I haven't suffered my face being ripped up from a fresh blade in years. Give that a go and I bet you'll notice a difference. Also, just for good measure, I always pay close attention to the positioning of the blade as I close the razor. It seems like the edge doesn't always play nice and seat firmly wedged where it should be.
That's really helpful advice – thank you!

That's really helpful advice – thank you!

You're welcome! Like I said, I bet you'll notice a difference. Don't be afraid to play around more with the angle either. If I had to guess I'd say the head of the razor makes about a 40° angle with my face most of the time. If you're a little gun shy to swing that much blade around messing with the angles, balance the bottom of the razor on the inside tip of your pinky finger, where it would face your ring finger with your fingers stretched out and pressed together, while the comb touches your face. Position your other fingers close, but not grasping, the handle strictly for balance. Move your hand down and gravity will be using just the weight of the razor to do the cutting, no pressure means no pressure sometimes. This is obviously a little tedious for an entire shave but it makes the OCMM very forgiving while you're searching for your correct angle. I honestly use the OCMM for around 90% of my shaves, have for years. Most of the rest is other SE, so I've kind of built up a few tricks :001_smile
EDIT: Upon review I should clarify that "very forgiving" is in relation to just itself. So, when compared to other razors, it still might be pretty unforgiving ;)

Last edited:
So, Saturday morning and SE playtime! I loaded up an older Gem SS PTFE coated blade in the OCMM and lathered up. I used the steeper angle that worked so well last Sunday and concentrated very hard on not applying any pressure – just letting gravity do the work as I moved my hand down/across/up in short, steady strokes. Three passes and pretty close to BBS with no nicks or weepers. I think I've cracked it and with the knowledge that hand stropping takes the ferocity off a new blade I think I'm now much better prepared.

In other news, I have a Gbar on the way and I've splurged out on a box of PAL blued carbon steel blades so that I can try them out too.

I shave with my OCMM by using a Gem blade in a 1912 for 4 or 5 shaves, then put that blade in the MM. A new blade in it usually chews my face up

I shave with my OCMM by using a Gem blade in a 1912 for 4 or 5 shaves, then put that blade in the MM. A new blade in it usually chews my face up
That's what lead to me starting this thread! I picked up from other posts that many get extra shaves from their Gem blades by swapping them into their OCMM after 4 or 5 in a 1912 or similar.

Top Bottom