What's new

Worst ever shave with Gem OCMM

I shave with a DE on work days and use an SE at the weekend. I recently bought a Gem OCMM and used it last Sunday, transferring the blade from my 1912 which had a few shaves on it. I enjoyed a decent, but not great shave but I thought the blade pulled slightly which I put down to wear (lost count of the number of shaves it has given).

So today I fitted a new Gem blade to the OCMM. I shaved pretty carefully, keeping the cap as close to my face as I could. On my second pass, XTG, it ripped my face to shreds – I lost count of the number of nicks I had to repair with my styptic matches, but I'd say probably more than 12.

It's probably only the second blade I've used from the box of 20. Does anyone else find the first shave with a Gem blade bad or do you reckon this is a duff blade and I should try a new one? As I can't take risks with my face before work on Monday I'm going back to my Tech DE tomorrow.

The MMOC is much more aggressive than a Tech, with a fresh blade you got the full effect. I wouldn't give up on it though. Put that blade in the 1912 and see if it feels normal there.

I find the first couple to be very sharp with the Gem blades before it mellows out, but technique is the driving factor to be free of blood. Not to say this is not a dud blade as such things happen, but the advice to try a milder razor could be good. I also find the experience with more aggressive razors helps the overall experience with every razor, so keep at it, it will reward you one way or another.

The Gem OCMM was my first SE. I've only used it 2 times with the same Gem by Personna blade and had no nicks/cuts. I was super cautious. Got my closest shaves yet but left my skin a bit tender.

The MMOC is much more aggressive than a Tech, with a fresh blade you got the full effect. I wouldn't give up on it though. Put that blade in the 1912 and see if it feels normal there.
I have a Fatip Piccolo too which is generally considered to be fairly aggressive and I don't draw blood with that. I didn't with the MMOC last week either but it was a used blade. Today I was concentrating really hard especially on blade angle and I took it slow so I'm at a loss to understand how the result was so different to last week when the only change was the blade. I'll try this blade in the 1912 next Saturday. To be honest, I thought the 1912 gave a better, closer shave last week than the MMOC and today even though it drew blood the shave isn't that close in places and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of persevering when I have so many other razors that deliver better results for me.

The Gem OCMM was my first SE. I've only used it 2 times with the same Gem by Personna blade and had no nicks/cuts. I was super cautious. Got my closest shaves yet but left my skin a bit tender.
My skin was certainly 'tingling' after today's shave and the alum bar suggested most of my face needed soothing. :)

It sounds like it could have been a bad blade. My first shave with a MMOC produced a few nicks as well but produced a close shave. With practice, I think it could produce consistently comfortable shaves. I would use a new blade on your 1912 first and once you know it is good, then try it on the MMOC for a second shave.

With so many great razors and so many great blades and so few days in a life, I wouldn't feel one bit guilty about just moving on. I really like my MMOC, but there are too many other options out there for you to put up with bad shaves just to try to make it work.

Just like I don't feel guilty about not finding Katy Perry attractive. It's me, Katy, not you. But I've moved on.

With so many great razors and so many great blades and so few days in a life, I wouldn't feel one bit guilty about just moving on. I really like my MMOC, but there are too many other options out there for you to put up with bad shaves just to try to make it work.

Words of wisdom.

The OCMM is a great SE razor, but will eat you alive if you're unfamiliar with them or not careful. Very aggressive!

When I got my first MMOC, it tore me up a few times. Then I put it away for a few months, I revisited it later have been able to tame it. It's still not my favorite SE, but I do use it on occasion and do pick them up when I come across them cheap enough. Use them for finishing a blade the extra weight of them seem to push a few more shaves out of a blade for me. I usually start a blade in a G-bar, Bullet Tip, Feather Weight, or 1912.

It sounds like it could have been a bad blade. My first shave with a MMOC produced a few nicks as well but produced a close shave. With practice, I think it could produce consistently comfortable shaves. I would use a new blade on your 1912 first and once you know it is good, then try it on the MMOC for a second shave.
That sounds like really sensible advice – thank you!

Just like I don't feel guilty about not finding Katy Perry attractive. It's me, Katy, not you. But I've moved on.
Thanks, right after I was contemplating throwing the thing out before rationality kicked in and I thought about selling it. There's a nagging thought though that it could be technique, in which case I'm not prepared to give up before having put some more work in with the MMOC.

Last edited:
Update – today's shave.
When I used the MMOC last Sunday I used a relatively steep angle, whereas yesterday, I followed advice I'd read online about using a shallow blade angle. Today, I shaved late, around midday and felt like giving the MMOC another go. I concentrated really hard on zero pressure and I used a steep angle. The first past WTG went very smoothly without nicks. The second pass, XTG, also went without any blood loss. Feeling my cheeks there was still some roughness, so I lathered up again and made a third pass ATG, extremely carefully. I managed to complete a pretty good shave without any nicks. After a cold rinse and the alum block, there were a few minute pinheads of blood where I'd scraped over yesterday's cuts, but there were no new nicks and the tiny spots quickly dried without needing the styptic.

So a good recovery and a decent result today. My experience suggests the MMOC definitely shaves better with a steepish blade angle.

When I got my first MMOC, it tore me up a few times. Then I put it away for a few months, I revisited it later have been able to tame it. It's still not my favorite SE, but I do use it on occasion and do pick them up when I come across them cheap enough. Use them for finishing a blade the extra weight of them seem to push a few more shaves out of a blade for me. I usually start a blade in a G-bar, Bullet Tip, Feather Weight, or 1912.
Thanks for your comment, which I missed as I was replying to an earlier post. I suspect my MMOC will never be my favourited SE either. Your point about getting a few more shaves out of a blade is a good one though – I might load up the one I replaced this weekend to see how much life there is left in it.

proxy.php

Good to hear it was an aberration. I find myself gravitating towards steeper angles with all my razors, even the mild ones. Don't know what aspect of technique makes that happen, but it feels better, and I get less irritation in general.

To be clear, did you change blade or just shave angle?

Just curious, which version of the OCMM do you have ? 1st ( no bumps ) or 2nd ( bumps ) , The bumps changed the blade angle making the 2nd generation OCMM slightly lesss aggressive. It will still bite if you let it but there is a difference in the two.

Top Bottom