What's new

Worst Blade

You cannot just say Gillette 7 O'Clock as there are four different blades in the 7 O'Clock lineup. There are the Sharpedge Yellows from Russia, the Super Stainless Russian Greens, the Permasharp Indian Greens and the Super Platinum Blacks from India. Although the two greens are somewhat similar, there is a huge difference between the Yellows and Blacks.

Apologies...the green Russian one.

The Van der Hagen blades which came with my razor, ditto the Parker blades with my 99R. Both were of poor quality.

Probably bic so far. They weren't super bad just didnt cut well in my opinion

Strange. For me BIC Chrome Platinum blades are as sharp as it gets. Although they are not quite as sharp as a Feather Hi Stainless on the first shave, by the second shave, they are even sharper.

Reactions: Cam
Strange. For me BIC Chrome Platinum blades are as sharp as it gets. Although they are not quite as sharp as a Feather Hi Stainless on the first shave, by the second shave, they are even sharper.
Is that so? How's it compare to Astra, as that and Feather are the only ones that can handle my course beard

Is that so? How's it compare to Astra, as that and Feather are the only ones that can handle my course beard

If you are talking about Astra SP, they are barely sharp enough to shave my coarse beard. I have never had a great shave with an Astra SP. I find the Astra Superior Stainless blades to be far sharper.

I like the first two shaves with Feather blades, but by the third shave the edge has deteriorated to the point it feels harsh on my sensitive face, so I cannot get three full shaves out of them. With BIC, Permasharp Super, Nacets, and 7 O'Clock Black, I can usually get four shaves before they either become too dull or too harsh to continue using them. Of course, YMMV.

If he's serious, I'm right there as well. Polsilver Super Iridium blades rip up my face in horrible ways, like Voskhod also does to me. My wife loves them, but she can't stand Feather. I love Feather, but the Polsilver Super Iridium blades are one that I just can't use. I honestly can't explain why.
It's strange, but I find my first shave with Polsilver blades can be very rough and unpleasant, but after that they are fine. I don't have that experience with any other blade I've tried.

If you are talking about Astra SP, they are barely sharp enough to shave my coarse beard. I have never had a great shave with an Astra SP. I find the Astra Superior Stainless blades to be far sharper.

I like the first two shaves with Feather blades, but by the third shave the edge has deteriorated to the point it feels harsh on my sensitive face, so I cannot get three full shaves out of them. With BIC, Permasharp Super, Nacets, and 7 O'Clock Black, I can usually get four shaves before they either become too dull or too harsh to continue using them. Of course, YMMV.

Seriously?! I'll look into these blades as I have sensitive (or dry) skin. You must have some strong hair! I didn't think anything else could contend with Feather in terms of sharpness and quality (but I'm a newbie). I'll definitely look into these blades and see if they have samples around.

Just did shave with Proraso green foam as well as trying not shave the same spots that aren't lathered. It was great! I need more menthol. Anyone know any for sensitive skin if possible?

Just did shave with Proraso green foam as well as trying not shave the same spots that aren't lathered. It was great! I need more menthol. Anyone know any for sensitive skin if possible?

There are some soaps that have sufficient residual slickness such that you can shave spots that have no visible lather remaining.

Personally, menthol irritates my skin, but if you like it, one of the most potent mentholated soaps is Cryogen by Chiseled Face. It is marketed a ultra-mentholated. It is definitely not for me but some folks love it.

There are some soaps that have sufficient residual slickness such that you can shave spots that have no visible lather remaining.

Personally, menthol irritates my skin, but if you like it, one of the most potent mentholated soaps is Cryogen by Chiseled Face. It is marketed a ultra-mentholated. It is definitely not for me but some folks love it.
How did you know it irritated your skin? I wanna know what to look out for when shaving.

How did you know it irritated your skin? I wanna know what to look out for when shaving.

There are a number of things that irritate my face: lemon, lime, grapefruit, peppermint, clove, cinnamon, wintergreen and menthol. Pepper sauce would have a similar effect, but it is not something commonly found in soaps. If you have ever gotten Ben Gay on your face or in your eyes, you will know what I am talking about; it is a combination of wintergreen and menthol. Hopefully, you won't react as strongly as I do. Some folks have no issue with these scents at all. BTW- I have no issue with Bergamot and orange. That is good as lots of soap scents contain bergamot.

There are a number of things that irritate my face: lemon, lime, grapefruit, peppermint, clove, cinnamon, wintergreen and menthol. Pepper sauce would have a similar effect, but it is not something commonly found in soaps. If you have ever gotten Ben Gay on your face or in your eyes, you will know what I am talking about; it is a combination of wintergreen and menthol. Hopefully, you won't react as strongly as I do. Some folks have no issue with these scents at all. BTW- I have no issue with Bergamot and orange. That is good as lots of soap scents contain bergamot.
Don't think I ever have. I have hyperpigmentation on my face from bad shaving and likely high testosterone, but nothing like that

What’s the worst blade anybody here has ever used and will probably never use again? I’m just curious!
BTW: Mine was Derby. Too dull for my beard.
What’s the worst blade anybody here has ever used and will probably never use again? I’m just curious!
BTW: Mine was Derby. Too dull for my beard.
Treet Carbon Steel. I think they stamp them out and then hit the cutting edge with a large bastard file for a couple of minutes before calling it shave ready.

Top Bottom