What's new

Worst Blade

????? I find BIC Chrome platinum blades to be some of the sharpest blades I have ever used. After the 1st shave, they are even sharper than Feather...
I get very good results with the BIC Chrome also, so I don't understand why people love to dog-pile on them. I guess we have entered the "YMMV Zone".

Definitely the Rockwell blades, in black tucks. Not sure if the newer ones are better, but the black was absolutely horrible. Unbelievable why they ship garbage with that awesome razor.

So far the 6s has eaten every blade I've tried and did it good.
Except for their own blade :D

There is one that should be on everyone's list and that is the Graham Field blade. For those that have listed know it has to be the dullest blade ever made. I know I could do better with a butter knife! On the first stroke the blade did manage to clear off the lather but most if not all the whiskers were left behind. Tried another stroke and I couldn't go any further. Bad thing is I was PIF'd one and knew the story behind it and had to try it anyway. How bad could they be? Right! Find one and try it, I dare you!

GF is at the top of my list and I had a few other that literally pulled the whiskers out and they were a grocery store Personna in a white dispenser where the blade comes out each end. The Personna red was right up there. Voskhod, bought a pack of 100. Tried one and I thought I got a dud, tried another from the pack and it was also dull, open a different pack and same thing. Tossed every one into the garbage. I can say I was only out $9 for that lesson. Last one is Mekur. This one really perplexed me because the one that came with the 34c was a great blade and it is what I started in the DE world. I had ordered a few packs and they were not good at all.

I have found out my 2 favorite blades are German Wilkies and Gillette Permasharp(India) and they seem to work in most but not in all my razors. I now have yet to find something that shaves smooth in the 34c, I like Feathers in Gillette New short OC and Tech.

Rockwell, hands down. By a wide margin...

I have not tried the ones I have. I have read all bad about them and I may have just tossed them. I dont think I still have them. If I gave them away it would have been to my nephew whose face hair is just starting to come in and its thin.

There is one that should be on everyone's list and that is the Graham Field blade. For those that have listed know it has to be the dullest blade ever made. I know I could do better with a butter knife! On the first stroke the blade did manage to clear off the lather but most if not all the whiskers were left behind. Tried another stroke and I couldn't go any further. Bad thing is I was PIF'd one and knew the story behind it and had to try it anyway. How bad could they be? Right! Find one and try it, I dare you!

GF is at the top of my list and I had a few other that literally pulled the whiskers out and they were a grocery store Personna in a white dispenser where the blade comes out each end. The Personna red was right up there. Voskhod, bought a pack of 100. Tried one and I thought I got a dud, tried another from the pack and it was also dull, open a different pack and same thing. Tossed every one into the garbage. I can say I was only out $9 for that lesson. Last one is Mekur. This one really perplexed me because the one that came with the 34c was a great blade and it is what I started in the DE world. I had ordered a few packs and they were not good at all.

I have found out my 2 favorite blades are German Wilkies and Gillette Permasharp(India) and they seem to work in most but not in all my razors. I now have yet to find something that shaves smooth in the 34c, I like Feathers in Gillette New short OC and Tech.

Have you tried rapira platinum lux or sharp star?

Vokshood didn't work for me but the platinum lux and sharp star blades are my two favorite blades. I use them in everything and they just work.

most interesting thread. worst for me: israeli reds. however my technique has improved. i just began de shaving in september '19. i now use shaving oil before brushing on lather to my face for a shave. this might be what helps the blade performance of even sub-par blades, i currently use astra ss platinum. i also use a non-aggressive merkur 33c razor.

I remember watching something on tv showing a study on shaving blade product development. They were showing how the same blade performs vastly different on different people. The hair of one person can be as hard as cutting a copper wire vs another person where its 7 times easier/softer. Then they went into the detail of the edge properties how the edge gets damaged, rolls over then the repeat shaves irritate the skin. While they were on the top of the edge, they delved into the cutting angles and coatings and how that affects each person.

I can't remember the name of the documentary, does this sound familiar to anyone else? If so, if you know the name I would like to watch it again. Also this ties into this thread about the worst blades. I wonder all the technical spec's of the blade and the user. It would be cool to be able to know your beard type, skin type to find a blade on a matrix chart that matches up to your needs. So for the adventurous, they can go to the total mismatch and give it a shot.

Seeing this thread reminds me of the countless DE blades I have tried and couldn't bare to use after giving them a fair shot.

It would be cool to be able to know your beard type, skin type to find a blade on a matrix chart that matches up to your needs.
This would be certainly possible with an ML classifier, the problem is that it is hard to retrieve all the data and then narrow the features down to the ones that are relevant (well, as in any other application domain really). It would make for an interesting research topic, I wish I could get funding for that :D

Have you tried rapira platinum lux or sharp star?

Vokshood didn't work for me but the platinum lux and sharp star blades are my two favorite blades. I use them in everything and they just work.

I tried a Rapira but don't remember which one but remember I didn't care for it. Don't think I tried any Sharp Star blades. Even though I had already found my 2 I did try GSB not to long ago they were okay.

About 30-35 years ago my sister got me a bunch of BIC disposables for Xmas (among other things of course).

proxy.php

After I finished stemming the blood flow from all the cuts, I told her not to get me any more disposable shavers of any kind ever again. I still won't buy disposable razors regardless of how fancy/gimmicky.

:cursing:

Surprised to see my least favorite blade, the Dorco 301, only listed by one other person in this thread.

Polsilver SI are my favorite blades.

Like Ray Clem, I also thought the Bic Chrome Platinum were sharp and shaved fine. I also agree with him that Astra SS blades are much nicer than Astra SP. It has always surprised me how much love the SP gets and how little people talk about the SS, a far superior blade.

About 30-35 years ago my sister got me a bunch of BIC disposables for Xmas (among other things of course).

proxy.php

After I finished stemming the blood flow from all the cuts, I told her not to get me any more disposable shavers of any kind ever again. I still won't buy disposable razors regardless of how fancy/gimmicky.

:cursing:
Sounds like you don't like getting stroked in the morning.

+1 BIC Chrome Platinum pulling. THE most painful shave so far hands down.
Bic for me as well. They are extremely sharp and "the forum" is telling me to focus on technique but every time I use them they give me these tiny tiny weepers. So I have almost given up on them. I have 5-6 other brands in rotation that do not produce nano-scale weepers including feather that are a pretty sharp blade too. So YMMW not a blade for me. If I were a fan of apocalyptical after shave burn I would probably give them more love :)

Top Bottom