What's new

Worst Blade

For me it's Astra SP - aka The Devil's Blade. That thin sliver of hatred cut me to ribbons and seemingly caused some kind of reaction on my uncut skin that took nearly a week to go away. I think I'd have got a better shave using the lid from an old open can of beans that had somehow dodged the dustbin.

My technique has improved a lot since then but I still can't bring myself to try Astra SP again. I haven't even summoned the courage to try a pack of Astra SS that I have lying around.

Most of the time nicks and cuts are due to improper shaving technique rather than bad blades. I do not like Astra SP blades as they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard, but I have never been cut by one. For many, presumable those who do not have tough beards, like them.

Astra SS blades are very different than Astra SP. The SS blades are much sharper. I put them at the sharper end of the mid-sharp category. They are sharp, smooth and consistent. That makes them one of my favorite blades. I can use them in any razor from very mild to very aggressive.

Most of the time nicks and cuts are due to improper shaving technique rather than bad blades. I do not like Astra SP blades as they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard, but I have never been cut by one. For many, presumable those who do not have tough beards, like them.

Astra SS blades are very different than Astra SP. The SS blades are much sharper. I put them at the sharper end of the mid-sharp category. They are sharp, smooth and consistent. That makes them one of my favorite blades. I can use them in any razor from very mild to very aggressive.

Technique was most definitely lacking when I tried them, but still they punished me far, far more than any other blade I tried at the time! I will get round to trying Astra SS, but right now Lord's Silver Star seems to tick all my boxes; I'll be using them solidly once my current stash of Shark SS is used up.

I like the Astra SS a lot too.
Work just fine in any of my razors.
Plenty sharp to do the job.

I don't know if plain Zorriks are still available, but that's the one. They were available for about $3/100 and were not even worth it at that price. Nothing else has come close to how bad they were.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Bic still is the worst for me. Tried it today in the feather and after a couple of strokes switched to an Injector and had a great shave.

They ought to call it the Bic Tug of War rather than the Platinum. Unless I happened to get two bad blades in a row, they are not for me. My Feather popular shaves well with sharp or not so sharp and smooth blades. About the only difference is the closeness of the shave with different blades. But this Bic was a no go.

The Bic the only blade I've never completed a shave with. I rate the BOLZANO SUPERINOX INOSSIDABILE above the Bic for me because I had several shaves with the Bolzano. While not great, they were usable. To think I just about ordered 100 Bic when I saw a good price on them. Glad I tried via Try A Blade.

Please allow me to add the little Merkur blade for the 907 detailing razor. I had high hopes for that little device, but it is almost like plucking the hairs!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Broke out a Bolzano for this mornings shave. A solid mid range blade in my Bevel. Smoother than when in some of my other razors in the past. An absolute treat compared to the Bic.

I have used a lot of different blades, and after three years most of them have become quite similar, I guess due to the fact that the technique has improved.
There is however one blade that I actually binned only halfway in on the first shave, and it's the Rockwell blades that was shipped with the razor.

Derby blades are on the dull side, no argue about that but still deliver good results for me. The Rockwell blade however is more than dull, It's just horrible on my face.
Will never put one in any of my razors again.

R

romsitsa

Merkur. Bought one pack once, was in a hurry and nothing else was available. That package was utterly bad.

Adam

Hard to remember all of them as I have tried so many. But yeah, Derby Extra is really there. Blue Birds as well. A few Chinese garbage blades also, most of them I don't really remember the brands. I also have fake Chinese Super-Max blades that are close to terrible.

Top Bottom