What's new

Worst Blade

I'm reading some of these responses and many people here don't really have a clue what a really bad blade is like. I feel bad that I complained about blades like Derby before trying these. Never again, a Derby blade is heavenly compared to the Chinese Flying Eagle blade. This one made a Derby blade feel as sharp as a Feather blade in comparison. To experience the same effect you could probably take a blade that you really enjoy outside and scrape it on the cement driveway several dozen times and then shave with it.

I found the Flying Eagle blades to be just sharp enough to dig into the hair but not sharp enough to actually cut through it. This way they dug in just enough, to not actually cut through the hair but, to get a very firm hold on it. This is what allows you to pull the stubble out root and all like you're pulling carrots from the garden. Absolutely miserable.

I don't know what kind of a sadistic SOB thought is was a good idea to sell these things. Probably the same person that invented vegan Macaroni and Cheese. I'd rather grow a mullet or get waterboarded than use one of these blades again. The only blade that I couldn't actually finish a shave with. I tried more than one of these thinking I must have gotten a bad one. Nope, that wasn't the case. I don't think I made it through a complete pass with any of them. Unfortunately each one I tried was just as bad as the one before it.
Hundred percent correct description of these little metal things that by no means and any stretch of the word can be called "razor blades".....

Thanks to the generosity of @lancre , he PIFd me a legendary Graham Field Blade. Today I loaded it up in my Blackbird, lathered up with B&M Seville, and had at it.
From the first stroke at my sideburn, I could tell "smooth" wasn't ever considered by the engineers who designed and manufactured this blade. "Sharp" was given a nod or two, but that's all. I could feel every whisker being cut, and ATG, especially on my chin, was bad. Did my usual 2 pass, and two more WTG and ATG on my neck.
For aftershave I used Florida Water, my most stinging aftershave. Why not, lol. Burn was present all over my beard and mustache area. It did go away after several minutes.
I imagine this blade is reminiscent of WW2 blades during the metal rationing era. It felt like there was no coating at all.
Flying Eagle still has my top honor as the most un-useable and painful blade ever sold, but the GFB comes in at a solid second for me.

Welcome to the GFB, or blade from hell, club. You are brave to actually have made it to the second pass. I couldn't get past the second stroke on my cheek and it only removed the shave soap and maybe a couple whiskers at most.

I still rank these my #1 worst blade and right up there was some grocery store Personna labeled blade in a white dispenser. Those could give the GFB a run for its money. Personna reds were not very good either.

Derby and Merkur blades were pretty terrible for me. Strangely, however, Gillette Silver Blues were by far the worst. Really bad irritation and a very poor shave. Yet I love all the other Gillette manufactured blades (Nacet and Astra SP are probably my all time faves). Might have had a duff batch(?).

Derby and Merkur blades were pretty terrible for me. Strangely, however, Gillette Silver Blues were by far the worst. Really bad irritation and a very poor shave. Yet I love all the other Gillette manufactured blades (Nacet and Astra SP are probably my all time faves). Might have had a duff batch(?).

Perhaps you did get a bad batch of GSB. I find the Nacets to be very sharp, the Astra SP to be at the bottom of the acceptable sharpness range for my tough beard and GSB somewhere between. Neither of these three are the smoothest of blades.

Many like them but Voskhod Actually are painful for me to use. So bad that after the first one I had to open a second pack and try again because many like them. Nope they are terrible on my face. Get good shaves from Derby, OK shaves from Merkur. It is not just less sharp that is the problem. If fact these Voskhod are the only blades, of the 20 or so I have tried, that would would make me grow a beard. Can’t explain, but truly YMMV.

I see that Derby gets a lot of bad press. But consider that in Turkey, where they are made, most people seem to use them in shavettes. For that purpose they are more than sharp enough.

Blades must be considered in their proper context.

Which brings us to the Flying Eagle blades mentioned above, that pulled out the hairs with root and all. How long did not that BBS last? :wink2:

I see that Derby gets a lot of bad press. But consider that in Turkey, where they are made, most people seem to use them in shavettes. For that purpose they are more than sharp enough.

Blades must be considered in their proper context.

Which brings us to the Flying Eagle blades mentioned above, that pulled out the hairs with root and all. How long did not that BBS last? :wink2:

I believe a lot of half-blades are sold by Derby to barbers for use in shavettes. The shave angle used by a shavette can be far more acute than that of a DE razor, so they may be more suitable in that application.

Top Bottom