What's new

Worldwide - Set of 3 Balsa Strops ready for lapping & pasting (offer expires 2359hrs 07 September 2022 UTC)

A friend has asked me to put together a set of three diamond pasted balsa strops for him. I thought that if doing that I might as well do it for any of my B&B friends who also want a set.

Offer expires 2359hrs 07 September 2022 UTC.

What I am offering is a set of three balsa strops with a composite substrate (ceramic tile and painted balsa wood). Each strop will be about 300mm x 73mm x 34mm thick (11.8" x 2.8" x 1.3"). The balsa stropping surface will be about 9mm thick (0.35") and is included in the overall strop thickness dimension of 34mm (1.3"). Each strop should weigh in at a under 500g each (17oz). That makes them substantially lighter than similar with a cast acrylic substrate which would be about 750g (26oz). Here is an example of one of the balsa strops (pasted), although the one shown is only 175mm x 65mm x 30mm that I use as my travel balsa strop:

Travel Iso.JPG

Travel End.JPG

The strops are supplied without paste. You will have to lap the balsa stropping surface flat (using say a 30cm x 30cm (12" x 12") smooth ceramic floor tile and a sheet of about 200 grit sandpaper), purchase your own diamond or CBN paste and apply the paste.

Cost will be material cost to me only (about US$65 or a bit less for a set of three (3)) plus postage including tracking to most destinations. When the strops are completed, you will be notified of the actual cost via B&B PM. Postage from Australia should take between 1 to 5 weeks (depending on destination) and cost is currently about:

Australia = US$10​
New Zealand = US$21​
Most of Asia = US$33​
North America = US$35​
Most of Europe & South America = US$40​
Most of Africa = US$ 48​
All payments to be made via PayPal G&S. You do not pay until they are ready to ship and you are notified by me.

If you are interested in set of these balsa strops (3), let me know in this thread before 2359hrs 07 September 2022 UTC. I will then make one-half the number of set for those who are interested and they should be completed by mid to late September 2022. Once completed, the first half of those interested will be contacted via B&B PM and have about 48 hours from me sending the PM to make payment. Any sets not paid for within the 48-hour time limit will then be offered to others (in order) who have expressed an interest, until there are no sets left. If any remain unsold, they will be listed on eBay at probably a higher price.

This offer may not be repeated by me.

An alternative for you is to make your own. Instructions are given in Annex II of the Traditional SR Shaving Instructions for Beginners. This Annex II also includes some suggested places where you can obtain the materials, including diamond paste.

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
Where was this offer when I started? Geesh. 🤷‍♂️

Actually *starting* the project of creating some balsa strops, for me, was the most difficult part of SR shaving.

Very generous. Kudos to you, sir. :clap:

Reactions: Jud

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm too late. Any chance you still have a set to sell?
No one took me up on this offer so I only ordered enough balsa for the strops that I am making my friend. Unfortunately there will be no spare balsa strops available for sale.

If you are still interested, PM me and we can discuss the matter. Timewise you may be better off building your own.

Top Bottom