What's new

World's Smoothest DE Razor Title: Edwin Jagger DE89 vs Gillette 1940's Super Speed

What is the World's Smoothest Razor the EJDE89 or Gillette 1940's Super Speed?

• Edwin Jagger DE89 series

• Gillette 1940's Super Speed

• I have only used one of the above razors

• Other razor

Results are only viewable after voting.
What blades are you using in you DE89's? I love the quality of my 89L but it's fallen out of my rotation for feeling too cumbersome and ponderous. With my favorite blade, the Shark SS, it gives me a good shave, but not one that stands out as being the smoothest, or the closest for that matter.

As for the 40's SS, I haven't gotten it to work quite right for me. I have 3 of them, and I recall getting good shaves with them, but nothing exceptional. I know this is one I will have to revisit again. It's been a while and my technique has probably improved somewhat.

Currently the razor that gives me the smoothest shave is my Slim set on 6. Some confluence between the Slim, the Sharks, my skin and whiskers, the water, etc makes this combo notably smooth - to the point that I say to myself "Wow, this feels so smooth," which I rarely say with my other razors.

Not to say my other razors don't shave as well or better - my LC New probably gives me the closest most comfortable shave of the bunch. But in terms of the feel on the face while still giving BBS, right now it's gotta be my Slim as the smoothest feeling.

Last edited:
What blades are you using in you DE89's? I love the quality of my 89L but it's fallen out of my rotation for feeling too cumbersome and ponderous. With my favorite blade, the Shark SS, it gives me a good shave, but not one that stands out as being the smoothest, or the closest for that matter.

As for the 40's SS, I haven't gotten it to work quite right for me. I have 3 of them, and I recall getting good shaves with them, but nothing exceptional. I know this is one I will have to revisit again. It's been a while and my technique has probably improved somewhat.

Currently the razor that gives me the smoothest shave is my Slim set on 6. Some confluence between the Slim, the Sharks, my skin and whiskers, the water, etc makes this combo notably smooth - to the point that I say to myself "Wow, this feels so smooth," which I rarely say with my other razors.

Not to say my other razors don't shave as well or better - my LC New probably gives me the closest most comfortable shave of the bunch. But in terms of the feel on the face while still giving BBS, right now it's gotta be my Slim as the smoothest feeling.

Sharper blades (Feather, Kai, Personna Med Prep) might work better with forgiving razors such as the 40's SS and the DE89. It seems more aggressive razors deliver better results for you.

I am new to this art and only have a Fat Boy, SS & an EJ89 so my experience is limited. Having said that the best shave I have had so far was with the EJ with a Shark blade. I have used a variety of different blades in all the razors and tend to enjoy the Feathers and Sharks best. Right now my EJ89 is my go to razor.

Lots of favorable responses for the EJ89 which makes me thrilled that Fedex just dropped off a box from WCS with EJ89 barley....can't wait

Both are great razors and very smooth for me, but the Red Tip SS, and Hoffritz slant are both smoother for me. In this case I don';t think smooth and mild are the same thing, The DE89 is exceptionally smooth, but also quite mild. Any number of razors feel as smooth to me while giving closer results with less work. I think the Slant is my favorite, but the Red Tip is a close second. There are many other great agressive razors including the #15 Aristocrat, and most of the early gillette open comb which give great effortless shaves, but are not smooth compared to the red tip or slant. In other words I picked other. If you had put the Red tip in this list I would have chosen it.

I've never used a EJ razor but I have the Muhle R89 and also use a Gillette Aristocrat. If I'm not mistaken, I would say that the Muhle R89 is the same as the RJ89 and they are very mild razors. I really prefer a Red Tip or a Aristocrat.....I can't get a close shave with Super Speed or Muhle R89 and just use these for those days when two shaves are required.....One in the AM and another in the Evening.

Has anyone tried the new Russian Polsilver in the DE89? Thinking of making that my next test drive. Otherwise, I'm fond of the Feather and the Super Iridium in the DE89.

I have at EJ 89 with the barley handle. It is my first safety razor and will be my last. You do not replace or look further when something works that great!!

Gentlemen,
For me, nothing still tops the Edwin Jagger for smoothness. I have about a dozen Edwin Jagger and Muhle double edge razors, all of which share the Muhle shave head, and I can't seem to have enough of them. These are truly great razors in every way.

Top Bottom