What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

One reason the GC 68 has been used so much more by me
very good at any angle cap or the bar its just got a great do what you want style shave I do prefer more toward the cap :)
you get a bit of blade feel much like the Med Henson less thann the comb in the timeless and less burn than the comb 68 timeless
its narrow so getting under nose and so on
the ATG is not as comfy as the Henson I would say again YMMV
a huge reason I am having fun with it so so many blades work so well (in the GC 68) which is also a down side as its harder to pin down what works :) hahahahah but really the Timeless is a thing of beauty and sound and just so nice but I find the blades are very critical and or picky so a select few work well the others work poorly
now that said I think the Henson also does well with many blades and is not as picky as the timeless

the GC on the other hand poor blades work but you can tell they are not as good but they do not tear you up or burn you like in the Timeless so for me its very very fogiving
and that forgiveness also I think really lets you feel the blade ! As in 3 shark blades the platinum the chrome the stainless all feel radically dif and you can really tell HOW its cutting your whiskers their is much more feedback of the blade like the razor kinda gets out of the way more than my Timeless I feel at least ? Hard to describe

Yes. More efficient than the 53.
I have to use a Voshkod with the 70 to smooth it out for my sensitive skin.
Easier to find the cutting angle with the 70 though.

I also would consider the Gamechanger .68 if I were you.
I find it's easier to use, and it's really mild and gentle on the skin.
So it's a noticably different shave then. According to the RR aggressiveness chart the 70 is still a mild razor that sitts below the GC 68. Would you agree with that?

Thanks, I will definitely consider the GC 68! What draws me to the Mamba is that uniquely shallow blade/cutting angle. In my mind that should shave very different from other mild razors: I recently got the Rockwell 6C and hated it even on the lowest settings because it always felt like it was scraping the skin as opposed to cutting the stubble.

So it's a noticably different shave then. According to the RR aggressiveness chart the 70 is still a mild razor that sitts below the GC 68. Would you agree with that?

Thanks, I will definitely consider the GC 68! What draws me to the Mamba is that uniquely shallow blade/cutting angle. In my mind that should shave very different from other mild razors: I recently got the Rockwell 6C and hated it even on the lowest settings because it always felt like it was scraping the skin as opposed to cutting the stubble.
I found the GC .68 to be gentler on my skin than the Mamba 70 tbh.

That's interesting. I wonder what criteria RR uses to rate them differently.

Including smoother and less irritation?
the mamba is so mellow it takes more passes to get as close which was the reason I remember I do like to reserve the option to change my mind :) and if the GC was better it would have been by a small amount but for sure why I kept the GC in rotation with my timeless and like so many here so personal what one likes

But I will pull out the mamba this morning let you know thoughts again :) so its fresher in my head as I had a awesome shave yesterday with the GC and blue persona blades so will use same blades same soap (tobs jermyn) since that shave was so nice and in my memory to compare :)

the mamba is so mellow it takes more passes to get as close which was the reason I remember I do like to reserve the option to change my mind :) and if the GC was better it would have been by a small amount but for sure why I kept the GC in rotation with my timeless and like so many here so personal what one likes

But I will pull out the mamba this morning let you know thoughts again :) so its fresher in my head as I had a awesome shave yesterday with the GC and blue persona blades so will use same blades same soap (tobs jermyn) since that shave was so nice and in my memory to compare :)
That's awesome, so we'll get a direct apples to apples comparison! 👍

REALLY looking forward to read about it! 🙂

So almost exact like I remember :)

I still prefer my GC 68 over the mamba 53

the angle is like I remember more narrow than the others but still totally workable of course just a touch dif memory and a bit more thought when rounding jaw line

also very little if any blade feel like Henson mild now I do not mind blade feel as long as its just feeling it the Rex Ambassador of mine is way to pain feel of blade and 2 passes I feel like I blow torched my face the GC gives none of that you just feel it (not sure how to describe the difference) this sometimes like on my lower neck I cant feel and have to rethink the angle to get the stubble down since its also got very little audio feedback I think because the blade is so bent and tight you loose that audio again like the Henson

during shave its about the same as my GC both are so good its really hard to notice much difference WTG or XTG and only when I get to ATG do I notice then the efficiency of the GC makes it a touch more comfy to me since it has that better feedback and less passes needed
if you were only doing 3 passes no go over same spot you would get a DFS- with the Mamba and a DFS+ with the GC and the amount of clean up passes or whatever you want to call them is twice with the mamba for me
now would trying and finding a better blade make the mamba a touch better as each razor I feel has a Blade that works best for each of us ? Maybe but it is again a super mellow no blade feel razor and it does that very well :)

post shave way more sting today than yesterday I reckon cause it took more passes to get that DFS++ or BBS- shave I go for a few spots the mamba just could not get into as easy so its not as good of shave for me and I do think again from today its me just having to make to many passes ?

Also I am 58 more salt than pepper in my beard :) hahhaah so over half grey these days and that does make a difference I am positive as they just seem dryer harder than my old when it was only red hair I am Swedish by blood so think red blonde super fair skin dude I do think knowing that can help not some rough dark olive italian who can use his whiskers to srcub a pan my face is SOFT :) hahahahahahah a days growth is not a shadow on me its a did you not wash your face look :)
the rex ambassador no matter what its on is to much for me ? I need to try more gap blades of the razorock series and the timeless still but a bit thinking I am in this mild camp cause the 68 comb on the timeless is close to being to much with the wrong blade like a feather in it or kai giving me that touch more blade ? So a 95 straight timeless might be my max

again more info but for me when learning trying I think this all helps to compare when some say I shave with my rex on 6 and its great I think I did that and looked like a shark attack :) so I know whatever that guy says is in a whole other league

anyway hope that helped I do say get them I love having these so I truly know what I love for my face and would buy all these and plan on a few more to purchase since I will be doing this the rest of my life :)

Great read, thank you!

It makes me even more curios about the GC: I thought the Mamba 70 would be my next purchase, but I might have to reconsider...

Wow.
I didn't realize the Mamba 53 had positive blade exposure.
I think such an extremely shallow angle (16 degrees) almost requires a positive exposure. A neutral or negative exposure would make it very hard for the blade to cut the stubble effectively at that angle, the blade would tend to "slide" over the hair instead of cutting it.
A positive exposure makes sure that you can always have blade contact, which allows the blade to shave despite being so parallel to the skin.

did not know the mamba had positive blade exposure ? but also why I might find it not as comfy for my face hmmmmmmmm

SO took out the Med Henson today and put in the green astra as those blades work so well with it and again same soap (croap) my TOBS Jermyn that I love so

as comfort from the other day the GC was more comfy post shave and overall :)
during about the same both are so mild so smooth ? its to hard to say really the ATG is different for my face the Henson prefers longer strokes as shorter tend to hang/snag feel a bit more I think cause its so light maybe ? the GC can do either just fine
blade feel for sure more in the GC then Henson but not uncomfy at all !
I did think Henson has less blade feel than I remember it having but its still there a small bit
angle again prefer the slack feel of the GC

the Hensons are wonderful comfy though and EASY to shave with worry free blade feel is minimal so worth trying for anyone wanting to find that razor that works best for them !

Ordered a henson :)
being 57 and a 80s kid ordered the purple :) hahahaha I mean a purple razor is kinda fun to me
Kinda like anodized bike parts
if I like it will get a ti and be more normal

also ordered a gamechanger 68
A mamaba 53
and a BBS

the photo thing :) hahaha full time pro when I lived on Maui when I was on the beach and my 1 series canons with white/cream glass like the 70-200 2.8 would get hit by a wave I would bring them up to the public shower and start rinsing them :) sometimes photo knowing tourists would see about 8k of gear being put in a shower and have to tell me they were freaking out :) I would say trust me I do this weekly they can handle it hahahah

I own a rex ambassador but the thing is taking time to learn and rough learning :)
freaking efficient but not giving up even on 1

so been loving this thread and trying to decide on the timelss models to try maybe ? I do think we have to try each one to know but again fun thread !
Great story! Reminds me of a hiking trip in the NC mountains, when back at the lodge one of the guests had his Canon DSLR drying in front of the fire with the zoom packed in rice provided by the kitchen. He kept backing up a little more and a little more for the perfect framing until he took a dive into the creek in 50 degree weather. I'll say this, he sure had a great attitude about the whole incident.

Also, great thread, at least for the 13 pages I've made it through! Mild and efficient is up my alley.

My thanks to all who worked on the comparisons and took the time to post their impressions.

I like to use the nomenclature "efficient" and "comfortable" as far as where to choose to land on the spectrum. For example, a Gillette Fusion is very efficient for me (takes off the most beard in a single stroke of any razor) but due to the pulling it is not comfortable. Similarly, a Futur cranked open is also very efficient, but not comfortable due to the inevitable irritation and weepers, and a Progress on 0 is very comfortable but not efficient. But whether we are talking potaTOE or poTAHto I found a lot of useful info in this thread.

It sure would be interesting to see something like this done in a blinded format. Seems like that would be easy to do with blades, but not so easy with razors.

Not exactly blinded, but at the beginning of the week I did shave one half of my face with a Henson Al13 mild, the other with Rockwell 6SR1. Both are good options. The Henson is better for frequent shaving, the Rockwell if you shave once a week or less often. Or don't have very sensitive skin. More details:

I might have been said but my most mild razor is the merkur 23c. Cheap starting price, I rarely use it now. Somebody here has likened it to a soap squeegee for your faceh that you can put a blade in. I'm pretty sure I could throw that thing at my face and it wouldn't leave a mark.

I might have been said but my most mild razor is the merkur 23c. Cheap starting price, I rarely use it now. Somebody here has likened it to a soap squeegee for your faceh that you can put a blade in. I'm pretty sure I could throw that thing at my face and it wouldn't leave a mark.
The Merkur was my favorite OC for years. Even though it did not offer the closest shave it was close enough and never irritated my skin. It was safe to use when my skin wasn’t clear. Nothing compared until I tried the Game Changer .68 OC. I consider it a state of the art “Merkur like” open comb head because it feels similarly mild but shaves much closer without irritation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks. I ordered one. I expect it to be junk and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Happy shaves,

Jim

4-22-22.Snmirn.RV-DO1.CK-6.640.JPG

The Snmirn has been sitting around a long time. I finally decided to give it a spin. Man, I was pleasantly surprised. This is a much better razor than I suspected it would be.

It is mild, but also effective.

My settings were 2, Fully Opened, Fully Closed, and 1.

On the Fully Closed setting I didn't believe it was effective enough for me. At setting number 1 it worked well for me in my most sensitive area, S-N, under my nose. On setting #8 it was not unpleasant for S-N shaving of my neck nor unpleasant N-S on my upper lip and soul patch.

I like the razor.

For the record I have most of the upper end adjustables and some experience with them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks. I have four mild razors on the way. If they don't work out (or maybe even if they do lol) I will look into RazoRock. I know a lot of people around here like them...Mamba, Lupo, BBS, etc...so they must be good!
I have the Lupo Aluminum, which is supposed to be identical with the new Lupo .58. IMHO, it's mild-to-medium (or medium-to-mild), not in the "mild" category. There's this useful chart:

I think Razorock has a list of other brands, in aggressiveness order, but I can't find it.

. Charles

Top Bottom