What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

One more razor really requires consideration and, so far, no one has mentioned my favorite mild razor, the one that is mild and yet efficient. And in the last two months, fwiw, I have tried (and returned) both the Yates and Henson aluminum; and have tried some of the others mentioned (Feather, Timeless ss). It’s the H&S N075 with the aluminum base. It’s smooth, neutral exposure and it takes down more stubble than the others, and more easily - meaning, less buffing required to get a closer shave. There’s a reason so many hardcore shaving folks swear by it. And like the other razor companies who stand behind their products (Henson, Yates, Blackland), it’s returnable for 30 days. (To really mix things up, H&S’s next razor is going to be a .74 with zero blade feel but that’s not yet out.). It’s the paradigm of a smooth but efficient razor. Have to try it.

One more razor really requires consideration and, so far, no one has mentioned my favorite mild razor, the one that is mild and yet efficient. And in the last two months, fwiw, I have tried (and returned) both the Yates and Henson aluminum; and have tried some of the others mentioned (Feather, Timeless ss). It’s the H&S N075 with the aluminum base. It’s smooth, neutral exposure and it takes down more stubble than the others, and more easily - meaning, less buffing required to get a closer shave. There’s a reason so many hardcore shaving folks swear by it. And like the other razor companies who stand behind their products (Henson, Yates, Blackland), it’s returnable for 30 days. (To really mix things up, H&S’s next razor is going to be a .74 with zero blade feel but that’s not yet out.). It’s the paradigm of a smooth but efficient razor. Have to try it.
Thanks! Never heard of H&S! I will have to look into it. But at $200-$600 they’d better be pretty gosh-darn paradigmatic!😉

Also, the return policy doesn’t seem as generous...

“To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.”

as opposed to:

“We want you to be completely happy with your purchase. If you do not love your razor within the first 100 days, you can send it back for a full refund!”

Last edited:
Your “complaint” is exactly what I’m after!
I only want one or two razors 🪒 🪒👍🏻
I put myself on their mailing list for the Ti22. I’ll let you know when I try it.
But, I’m very content already.
I just had the best shave of my life!😊 Gracias!

FYI - If you don't want to wait, Maggard's has the Ti22 in stock.

Good thread - and as you can see from the responses, it's not the razor that's the most important variable for a close, comfortable shave (hence the vastly overused, but true, YMMV). "It's the Yates! No, wait, it's the Rockwell! No, wait, it's the Karve! No, wait, it's the Feather!" That's why most seasoned B&B denizens have a cabinet full of razors - the next one will be The One... ;). The same, as it happens, with soap - or blades. Happy are those who have found their Arko and their Muhle, and are content, for they shall be blessed. :biggrin1:

Thanks! Never heard of H&S! I will have to look into it. But at $200-$600 they’d better be pretty gosh-darn paradigmatic!😉

Also, the return policy doesn’t seem as generous...

“To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.”

as opposed to:

“We want you to be completely happy with your purchase. If you do not love your razor within the first 100 days, you can send it back for a full refund!”

Yup, the P076s are expensive, but have fanatical supporters, and the finish is usually considered to the equal of Wolfman, so there's a premium paid for the finishing), as well as the materials. And even at those prices, Aji, H&S's owner, literally can't keep them in stock. And, fwiwi, they are pretty amazing. But the P076 is an entirely different animal than the N075.

As for the return policy, I'd never looked at it but I only heard about it from a shaving person on another website who told me I had to try the razor. My understanding is (and has been) that it is a try and buy the same as Blackland, Henson etc (so the return "unused" language doesn't matter), but you can email Aji himself -- and he's always willing to correspond -- and ask: [email protected]

For more about H&S N075 and how others have felt, read more on these three threads (btw, in the long, second thread, there are comments about the handle -- the newest mixed metal N075 has a new, all-knurled handle which folks seem to be liking):

Finally, there is one other smooth, easy razor that hasn't been mentioned here, the OneBlade Core (no need to spring for the Genesis). That is what got me into wet shaving because it is smooth and easy and the easiest transition from cartridges. I did like mine but sold it because, well, it was almost boring to use (and also not efficient enough, although I'd rank it as more efficient than, say, the Henson aluminum).

M

mtcn77

Dear Mr. Spang,

I owe you big time! You told me about the BEST RAZOR I EVER USED...the Henson AL13! I had never even heard of Henson before! Unbelievable...this cheap little aluminum razor ($70) just beat the Timeless Ti .68 ($300) and the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 ($175) in a head-to-head competition. All three were equally efficient...9 out of 10! But, the Henson edged out the competition in comfort/smoothness...a 9.5 out of 10! It glided effortlessly over my skin as if it didn't have a blade in it!

Please don't tell me the titanium version of the Henson is better than the AL version. That would be insanity! 😂

Daniel Jantzi and his young, Canadian "geek squad" friends are on a different level than the rest of the shaving world! :a14:

View attachment 1255110
I am glad to hear it is not too mild like Razor Emporium says. We have local members looking forward to this.

I am glad to hear it is not too mild like Razor Emporium says. We have local members looking forward to this.
I think it's important to remember that Matt also prefers to use the Ambassador/Enjoy which many find to be too aggressive.

So compared to the Rex's the Henson will be incredibly mild.

FYI - If you don't want to wait, Maggard's has the Ti22 in stock.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to wait, but I don't have much choice. I don't think Maggard's allow returns:

Razors – Unused replaceable blade razors may be returned within 10 days for a full refund* or store credit

Used products may not be returned.

Yup, the P076s are expensive, but have fanatical supporters, and the finish is usually considered to the equal of Wolfman, so there's a premium paid for the finishing), as well as the materials. And even at those prices, Aji, H&S's owner, literally can't keep them in stock. And, fwiwi, they are pretty amazing. But the P076 is an entirely different animal than the N075.

As for the return policy, I'd never looked at it but I only heard about it from a shaving person on another website who told me I had to try the razor. My understanding is (and has been) that it is a try and buy the same as Blackland, Henson etc (so the return "unused" language doesn't matter), but you can email Aji himself -- and he's always willing to correspond -- and ask: [email protected]

For more about H&S N075 and how others have felt, read more on these three threads (btw, in the long, second thread, there are comments about the handle -- the newest mixed metal N075 has a new, all-knurled handle which folks seem to be liking):

Finally, there is one other smooth, easy razor that hasn't been mentioned here, the OneBlade Core (no need to spring for the Genesis). That is what got me into wet shaving because it is smooth and easy and the easiest transition from cartridges. I did like mine but sold it because, well, it was almost boring to use (and also not efficient enough, although I'd rank it as more efficient than, say, the Henson aluminum).
Thanks. I contacted Aji at Haircut and Shave (H&S) and you’re right about their return policy:
“Hi Ken,
You can definitely try it. You can always return it, no questions asked if you're not completely satisfied.
Thanks for reaching out.
Best,
Aji

So, we’re definitely off to a good start! Now I will do some research.😉

I heard about OneBlade. At 1/10th the price of the H&S it sounds like a pretty good deal 😂 although I’d have to buy single-edge blades. I will look into it.
Thank you.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to wait, but I don't have much choice. I don't think Maggard's allow returns:

Razors – Unused replaceable blade razors may be returned within 10 days for a full refund* or store credit

Used products may not be returned.

Thanks. I contacted Aji at Haircut and Shave (H&S) and you’re right about their return policy:
“Hi Ken,
You can definitely try it. You can always return it, no questions asked if you're not completely satisfied.
Thanks for reaching out.
Best,
Aji

So, we’re definitely off to a good start! Now I will do some research.😉

I heard about OneBlade. At 1/10th the price of the H&S it sounds like a pretty good deal 😂 although I’d have to buy single-edge blades. I will look into it.
Thank you.
👍 And, yes, the Core for $20 is worth trying. Got me started. But if you like it, you’ll really want to get the Hybrid (I should have mentioned that). It is the Genesis that isn’t needed.

For me it’s perfect. Of course, I have sensitive skin, so if you like a lot of blade feel (or any blade feel 😉) it may be too mild for you.

👍 And, yes, the Core for $20 is worth trying. Got me started. But if you like it, you’ll really want to get the Hybrid (I should have mentioned that). It is the Genesis that isn’t needed.
I’m going to pass on the OneBlade. I prefer a fixed head...now that my technique is improving! 🎉

For me it’s perfect. Of course, I have sensitive skin, so if you like a lot of blade feel (or any blade feel 😉) it may be too mild for you.
I liked the Henson, but it really does take many passes for me to get a great shave with it. With my other more efficient mild razors, I can get an equal shave with less passes than I would with the Henson. I’ll still be keeping my Henson though.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Your “complaint” is exactly what I’m after!
I only want one or two razors 🪒 🪒👍🏻
I put myself on their mailing list for the Ti22. I’ll let you know when I try it.
But, I’m very content already.
I just had the best shave of my life!😊 Gracias!
Only one or two razors? One or two makes a big difference. If only one, it by definition is THE one, your everyday "go to." If, however, two, if they are similar but one does what you like better than the other, one may just sit unused. I know this from firsthand experience. I have a Feather AS-D2. It is supremely comfortable and gives superb shaves. Then the ATT Windsor SSR1 came upon the scene. The comfort is comparable, but the shaves are consistently BBS with no effort. So the Feather languishes. How sad.

Only one or two razors? One or two makes a big difference. If only one, it by definition is THE one, your everyday "go to." If, however, two, if they are similar but one does what you like better than the other, one may just sit unused. I know this from firsthand experience. I have a Feather AS-D2. It is supremely comfortable and gives superb shaves. Then the ATT Windsor SSR1 came upon the scene. The comfort is comparable, but the shaves are consistently BBS with no effort. So the Feather languishes. How sad.
Two for now... There’s a couple places where I shave 🪒🚙🪒

I liked the Henson, but it really does take many passes for me to get a great shave with it. With my other more efficient mild razors, I can get an equal shave with less passes than I would with the Henson. I’ll still be keeping my Henson though.
I guess I do a lot of buffing. I’m not proficient yet. Still very slow. But the good thing is I don’t nick or cut myself...and with these mild razors (paired with slick soaps) I have very little irritation 👍🏻

I think I’ll wait for the .74. Meanwhile I will enjoy working with (or playing with lol) my other mild razors 🪒 👍🏻

Top Bottom