What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Wow...smoother than the Timeless 😲...at half the price 💰...I never even heard of Yates before!

Thanks for letter me know. I will look into the Yates 921 for sure!

And my apologies for not listing the plates!

For the Karve I used: plate AA (too mild 💤 ), plate B (too aggressive :mad:), and plate A (just right! :) )
West Coast Shaving has it on sale for 121$ including the HYB base plate and the M base plate. You can usually get another 10% coupon for signing up for their newsletter. And it's actually in stock!

The Yates 921-M is phenomenal.
It's always sold out.
A good alternative is the Wet Shaving Club Merica razor, which is also made by Yates.
West Coast Shaving has the Yates 921 in stock (and on sale!). But, I like the looks of the Merica better!
But, looks be damned!lol

Bottom line...which performs better...the Merica or the Yates?

Last edited:
West Coast Shaving has the Yates 921 in stock (and on sale!). But, I like the looks of the Merica better!
But, looks be damned!lol

Bottom line...which performs better...the Merica or the Yates?

I haven't tried the 'Merica razor but if you looked at the specs it has a very small blade gap of only .4064 MM compared to the Yates which has a .64MM gap. Both have neutral blade exposure. I would expect the Merica to be much more mild, again as I haven't tried it. I found the Yates to be incredibly smooth.

I would worry that the 'Merica razor would be too mild for my preferences.

I haven't tried the 'Merica razor but if you looked at the specs it has a very small blade gap of only .4064 MM compared to the Yates which has a .64MM gap. Both have neutral blade exposure. I would expect the Merica to be much more mild, again as I haven't tried it. I found the Yates to be incredibly smooth.

I would worry that the 'Merica razor would be too mild for my preferences.

Ok, thanks!

Ahh...decisions...decisions...🤔

Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

Has anyone tried both the Yates and the 'Merica?

Hone 15.jpg

Has anyone mentioned this razor yet? I find it very smooth and mild with good efficiency.

Hone Type 15

Large gap but neutral exposure

Ahh...decisions...decisions...🤔

Seems like my suspicion is supported by Shavemd's comment in that thread. The Merica is good, but the Yates is more efficient

Good to know that the Yates is more efficient than the Merica! Any idea which is smoother?

Last edited:
OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti:thumbup:
$300

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53

$65

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13
$70

Ladies and Gentlemen (well, basically Gentleman!lol),

Allow me the privilege of announcing a new leader in my search for the "perfect" mild razor...the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 🇺🇸
View attachment 1253462

This razor is exactly like the Timeless Ti .68 in terms of performance (comfort + efficiency)...and it cost $115 less!
The only noticeable difference is the weight...the Timeless Ti .68 is made of titanium, whereas the ATT Windsor SSM-1 is made of stainless steel, so it is heavier. The ATT is like the Love Child ☮ of the Timeless and the Rockwell 6C. It has the performance of the Timeless with the build of the Rockwell (although not as bulky!). So far, this is THE BEST RAZOR I HAVE EVER USED!
If you have sensitive skin, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this razor! Again, it's not cheap ($185) but it's worth every penny!

The Americans make awesome mild razors! 🇺🇸🇺🇸 :a14:

P.S. I used TABAC 🇩🇪shave soap for the first time. You guys were right...It is AWESOME!...great lather and protection and a classic scent!:thumbup: Thank you.

Stay tuned...The Canadians are coming...the Canadians are coming (RazoRock Mamba .53 🇨🇦and Henson AL13 🇨🇦) !
We are so glad you love your razor! 😁

6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Windsor SSM-1

$185

AS-D2

$175

CB

$90

$300

$75

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53

$65

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Allow me the privilege of announcing a new leader in my search for the "perfect" mild razor...the Henson AL 13!

IMG-1005.jpg

This razor is just as efficient as the Timeless Ti .68 and the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 but even more comfortable! With the Timeless and ATT I felt a little blade feel. But, with the Henson I felt NO blade feel at all...as in NOTHING!! Unbelievable! I'm slashing and hacking away like a complete nut job...and ZERO...NADA...NOTHING! Pressure...no pressure...a little pressure...a moderate amount of pressure...didn't matter! This razor was made for complete novices (like myself!) who don't know what the heck they're doing! 😂 It was beautiful...it was amazing...it was UNBELIEVEABLE! What was even better was that it cost a fraction of the other two razors...70 bucks! I can't believe it! This stupid little aluminum razor just beat the best razors (Timeless titanium and ATT Stainless steel) that I ever tried. Now, honestly, all three razors gave me the shave of my life! All were equally efficient! But, the Henson had like ZERO blade feel. How is this possible?! I'm going to do a repeat on Friday to make sure I'm not dreaming! :sleep12:But, for now, we have a new leader on my quest for the mildest (yet efficient) razor in the world!

Since no one has yet mentioned it, I will: the Henson AL13. When I say "mild", I mean smooth, comfortable, with minimal blade feel, and the AL13 checks all of these boxes. It is the easiest shaving DE razor I have ever used, yet it is still remarkably efficient. It should definitely be a contender on your list. For a reference point, I love my Mamba 53 but, for me, the AL13 is better.
Dear Mr. Spang,

I owe you big time! You told me about the BEST RAZOR I EVER USED...the Henson AL13! I had never even heard of Henson before! Unbelievable...this cheap little aluminum razor ($70) just beat the Timeless Ti .68 ($300) and the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 ($175) in a head-to-head competition. All three were equally efficient...9 out of 10! But, the Henson edged out the competition in comfort/smoothness...a 9.5 out of 10! It glided effortlessly over my skin as if it didn't have a blade in it!

Please don't tell me the titanium version of the Henson is better than the AL version. That would be insanity! 😂

Daniel Jantzi and his young, Canadian "geek squad" friends are on a different level than the rest of the shaving world! :a14:

1619053580737.png

6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Windsor SSM-1

$185

AS-D2

$175

CB

$90

$300

$75

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53

$65

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Allow me the privilege of announcing a new leader in my search for the "perfect" mild razor...the Henson AL 13!

View attachment 1255062
This razor is just as efficient as the Timeless Ti .68 and the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 but even more comfortable! With the Timeless and ATT I felt a little blade feel. But, with the Henson I felt NO blade feel at all...as in NOTHING!! Unbelievable! I'm slashing and hacking away like a complete nut job...and ZERO...NADA...NOTHING! Pressure...no pressure...a little pressure...a moderate amount of pressure...didn't matter! This razor was made for complete novices (like myself!) who don't know what the heck they're doing! 😂 It was beautiful...it was amazing...it was UNBELIEVEABLE! What was even better was that it cost a fraction of the other two razors...70 bucks! I can't believe it! This stupid little aluminum razor just beat the best razors (Timeless titanium and ATT Stainless steel) that I ever tried. Now, honestly, all three razors gave me the shave of my life! All were equally efficient! But, the Henson had like ZERO blade feel. How is this possible?! I'm going to do a repeat on Friday to make sure I'm not dreaming! :sleep12:But, for now, we have a new leader on my quest for the mildest (yet efficient) razor in the world!

I'm glad it proved to be a winner for you. I had a feeling you'd like it. I started with the AL13 and quickly moved to the Ti22 for more heft. Awesome performing razors. It's the one I enjoy using most.

I'm glad it proved to be a winner for you. I had a feeling you'd like it. I started with the AL13 and quickly moved to the Ti22 for more heft. Awesome performing razors. It's the one I enjoy using most.
Is that the AL13 or the AL13-Medium you have Kenny, please?

Mild...I have sensitive skin.
Shopping cart
Product imageDescriptionQuantityPrice
Henson AL13 - Jet Black / 5 / Mild

Henson AL13Jet Black / 5 / Mild

Dear Mr. Spang,

I owe you big time! You told me about the BEST RAZOR I EVER USED...the Henson AL13! I had never even heard of Henson before! Unbelievable...this cheap little aluminum razor ($70) just beat the Timeless Ti .68 ($300) and the Above The Tie Windsor SSM-1 ($175) in a head-to-head competition. All three were equally efficient...9 out of 10! But, the Henson edged out the competition in comfort/smoothness...a 9.5 out of 10! It glided effortlessly over my skin as if it didn't have a blade in it!

Please don't tell me the titanium version of the Henson is better than the AL version. That would be insanity! 😂

Daniel Jantzi and his young, Canadian "geek squad" friends are on a different level than the rest of the shaving world! :a14:

View attachment 1255110
That's fantastic! Thank you for your report. When I saw your list, I immediately thought the Henson should be on it. The Henson is flying under the radar here at B&B since all of the Henson related threads have been (and continue to be) moved over to the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum. I discovered the Henson through discussions on other forums.

You're right, IMO, about the Henson folks being ahead of the curve in the DE razor world. The AL13 is a truly innovative razor design, something you can't say about anything else in the realm of current production DE razors. My only complaint about the AL13 is that is proving to be a rotation killer; my other razors are getting lonesome.

As for the titanium version, I'm afraid I can't weigh in on that comparison. Maybe someday ...

That's fantastic! Thank you for your report. When I saw your list, I immediately thought the Henson should be on it. The Henson is flying under the radar here at B&B since all of the Henson related threads have been (and continue to be) moved over to the Clubs and Brotherhoods forum. I discovered the Henson through discussions on other forums.

You're right, IMO, about the Henson folks being ahead of the curve in the DE razor world. The AL13 is a truly innovative razor design, something you can't say about anything else in the realm of current production DE razors. My only complaint about the AL13 is that is proving to be a rotation killer; my other razors are getting lonesome.

As for the titanium version, I'm afraid I can't weigh in on that comparison. Maybe someday ...
Your “complaint” is exactly what I’m after!
I only want one or two razors 🪒 🪒👍🏻
I put myself on their mailing list for the Ti22. I’ll let you know when I try it.
But, I’m very content already.
I just had the best shave of my life!😊 Gracias!

Last edited:
Top Bottom