$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸
Ti

$300

Timeless🇺🇸
AL

$75

Today, I tried the Karve CB again with plates AA and A. (Plates B, C, and D were too harsh!). Plate AA was super mild but so inefficient that it was almost useless. Plate A was GREAT...a tiny bit more aggressive/not mild than I would like but certainly acceptable...but VERY efficient. All in all, it was a toss-up between the CB and the Tatara. But, because I'm more interested in comfort than efficiency...a tie goes to the runner...the Portuguese razor by a hair!

Also, the Timeless razors just arrived! Tomorrow we'll see if Americans "AL"🇺🇸 and "Ti" 🇺🇸can beat stiff competition from Canadian "CB"🇨🇦 and Portuguese "Tatara"🇵🇹!!

Stay tuned. ATT🇺🇸should arrive Saturday!

Timeless.jpgKarve.jpg

It is, by multiple reviews and personal experience, one of the mildest razors out there. One of the problems with it, however, is the tendency (starting with my initial experience) to honk down on it to get it to shave. This is a mistake. And as noted previously, it's not really a beginner's razor IMO - to the contrary, I wouldn't recommend the Feather until you have a few other DE razors under your belt, and are confident of your technique and looking to explore. That said, YMM indeed V, and everyone must search for the razor that matches their skin, face and technique. Even experienced shavers may pass by the Feather for a less demanding, more consistent DE that doesn't require such a learning curve and precision. It's a wide shaving world....
Good point...and perhaps in a few years, I will re-visit the Feather. But, right now I need a razor that's efficient yet very forgiving...a rare bird indeed! But, the Karve CB and Tatara Masamune have managed to achieve this incredible balance. Chris and Bradley in Canada 🇨🇦 and André, João, and Luis in Portugal 🇵🇹 are absolute geniuses and master craftsmen who have created works of art so functional that complete novices (like myself) can take their razors out of the box and instantly achieve the shave of a lifetime. And, I have high hopes that the American craftsmen at Timeless and ATT, have done likewise. I'm looking forward to finding out beginning tomorrow!

Good point...and perhaps in a few years, I will re-visit the Feather. But, right now I need a razor that's efficient yet very forgiving...a rare bird indeed! But, the Karve CB and Tatara Masamune have managed to achieve this incredible balance. Chris and Bradley in Canada 🇨🇦 and André, João, and Luis in Portugal 🇵🇹 are absolute geniuses and master craftsmen who have created works of art so functional that complete novices (like myself) can take their razors out of the box and instantly achieve the shave of a lifetime. And, I have high hopes that the American craftsmen at Timeless and ATT, have done likewise. I'm looking forward to finding out beginning tomorrow!

Think you'll be pleased with both the Timeless and ATT, although Aluminum takes some getting used to if you've only used SS and brass before - pretty significant handling difference because of the weight. The Titanium splits the difference, and is definitely the sweet spot for ultralight razors in my experience. If you like a hefty razor that's efficient all by itself, the Bronze Timeless is the top of the game IMO.

Think you'll be pleased with both the Timeless and ATT, although Aluminum takes some getting used to if you've only used SS and brass before - pretty significant handling difference because of the weight. The Titanium splits the difference, and is definitely the sweet spot for ultralight razors in my experience. If you like a hefty razor that's efficient all by itself, the Bronze Timeless is the top of the game IMO.
Thanks. Honestly, this is all soo new to me that I don't know yet my "preferred razor heft". All I'm focusing on right now is the feel of the razor on my face...as well as the smoothness and comfort of my face afterward. At this point, I don't really care if the razor is aluminum, titanium, or steel...and I have all three...as well as brass! I would be very open to Bronze or any other material...as long as it provides the most comfortable, yet efficient shave that I (as a novice) can get right out of the box. This has happened already twice in two days (with the Karve and Tatara), so I'm guessing it can happen again!

I had a Karve in B and C. Maybe I should have tried an A plate. B irritated my skin and C was too aggressive. I also had 6S which was fine on 4 for most blades (on 3 with a Nacet), but could have been more efficient. I had a Timeless 0.95 Ti which was very smooth, but a little irritating and not as efficient as I thought it should be. Now, to be fair, I only gave the 6S an extensive trial.

The Masamune, OTOH, was fantastic after 3 shaves (a bit rough on the first 2 until learning how to use it). It has has been more efficient, but also more smooth/gentle than the others I mentioned. And, I'm using a Feather blade, as they suggest. to great effect.

Looking forward to hearing about your continued testing.

I had a Karve in B and C. Maybe I should have tried an A plate. B irritated my skin and C was too aggressive. I also had 6S which was fine on 4 for most blades (on 3 with a Nacet), but could have been more efficient. I had a Timeless 0.95 Ti which was very smooth, but a little irritating and not as efficient as I thought it should be. Now, to be fair, I only gave the 6S an extensive trial.

The Masamune, OTOH, was fantastic after 3 shaves (a bit rough on the first 2 until learning how to use it). It has has been more efficient, but also more smooth/gentle than the others I mentioned. And, I'm using a Feather blade, as they suggest. to great effect.

Looking forward to hearing about your continued testing.
I hear you, Noodles. I think we may have must the same skin type!😂 Absolutely agree, the Karve CB was terribly aggressive on plate B, but was one of the smoothest (yet efficient) shaves I've had on plate A!
I got the Timeless .68 Ti, which I'll try tomorrow with the AL...looking forward!
The Rockwell (6C-Plate 3) was my favorite razor until yesterday when the Tatara Masamune defeated it.

BTW, Have you tried the Personna Med Prep blade? They're expensive ($35) but sooo much smoother (and forgiving) than the Feather blade! If you haven't already tried them, I'd be happy to send you a few so you can see (and feel!) what I'm talking about. Believe me, I've tried the "Top Ten" blades (Feather, Astra, Voshkod, Gillette SB, Kai, Nacet, Derby, Wilkinson, etc.) and there's NO comparison for the perfect balance between efficiency AND comfort!

Last edited:
I have the 6C. It’s the best razor I own...and the only one I plan on keeping (so far). I heard from Kevy Shaves that it’s smoother than the 6S because of the chrome finish. It’s also half the price👍🏻
Yes but I have plenty of new zamak razors.
I just got the DSCosmetics RR GC clone heads in stainless steel yesterday, but havent tried them yet. The 8 and the 9, which clone the .68 and .84, respectively.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Mamba 53 has to be right up there, shame they don't make them anymore... If you find one up for sale make sure you get it - a true mild connoisseurs choice, very mild yet very effective.
That and the handle is both beautiful and perfectly balanced on this head (for me!).

The Mamba 70 is no slouch either, but it's only a touch more effective for a noticeable bump in aggression - it's still milder than most out there, though, so if you like them on the mild side it's one to look at.

The Ds Cosmetics T7 is based on the 70, but the scalloped cap actually makes it a fraction milder - for the price it's very, very difficult to beat.

Here are my three together...

View attachment 1249514
Just received a promo email from IB (13 April, '21). They have some Mamba 53s in stock.

Me, I'm happy with my Mamba 70, though the very mildest razor I use is, perhaps, a Hone Type 15.

the tolerances were off, so it was literally unable to cut hair. afik he refunded everyone's purchase
Jeez. Honestly the finish of it looked amazing, I think the trouble spots were the solid bars..they weren't rounded off so the angle was severely off, making the blade unable to reach stubble. What a shame.

BTW, Have you tried the Personna Med Prep blade? They're expensive ($35) but sooo much smoother (and forgiving) than the Feather blade! If you haven't already tried them, I'd be happy to send you a few so you can see (and feel!) what I'm talking about. Believe me, I've tried the "Top Ten" blades (Feather, Astra, Voshkod, Gillette SB, Kai, Nacet, Derby, Wilkinson, etc.) and there's NO comparison for the perfect balance between efficiency AND comfort!

I have tried them before and just purchased four more to test with my remaining razors. I agree they are excellent blades. Generally speaking, my favourites have been the PPG blades from Russia followed by Personna.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
In my experience, the Above the Tie Windsor SSR1 is both efficient and mild. I was previously using a Feather AS-D2, which is certainly mild, but I had to work awfully hard to get the shave as smooth as I wanted. Mind you, I could get there, but it too a lot of buffing. The ATT is very comfortable but shaves very close very easily. My one very small preference would be to get a Kronis rather than the Atlas handle in order to improve both grip and balance. If it is not mild enough, adding the M plate is a ready and reasonably priced fix, but I believe you may find the R plate quite comfortable and forgiving. I will probably sell the Feather.

I found that with the Karve on plate B it was very important to ride the cap (keep handle closer to perpendicular to your face) in order to get a great shave with it. I think Karve B, the masamune, the timeless .68 are all great razors with a slight preference to the timeless as I thought it was more efficient than the others while still being very comfortable to use.

I have the Yates 921-M on the way which I've heard to be an excellent razor, both efficient and mild. Very excited to give it a try.

I think if you have the timeless .68, I wouldn't recommend the bronze .38. The .68 is smoother than the .38 as the .38 has more blade exposure but I do think the .38 is more efficient.

In my experience, the Above the Tie Windsor SSR1 is both efficient and mild. I was previously using a Feather AS-D2, which is certainly mild, but I had to work awfully hard to get the shave as smooth as I wanted. Mind you, I could get there, but it too a lot of buffing. The ATT is very comfortable but shaves very close very easily. My one very small preference would be to get a Kronis rather than the Atlas handle in order to improve both grip and balance. If it is not mild enough, adding the M plate is a ready and reasonably priced fix, but I believe you may find the R plate quite comfortable and forgiving. I will probably sell the Feather.
You read my mind. I ordered the Kronos handle, because I like the way it looks.

OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸
Ti:thumbup:

$300
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)

Timeless🇺🇸 AL $75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

Today, I tried two offerings from Timeless...the Ti .68 and the AL. They were, without question, the best and the worst shaves of my entire life. The Ti is expensive ($300) but...IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!! I have never had a shave soo smooth and comfortable...yet near BBS in terms of efficiency...in my entire life. I'm almost tempted to call off the competition right now and return, sell, or gift every other razor I own. But, I do have a couple of razors on order, so I will give them a try. And...I still love my Karve CB and my Tatara Masamune...but the Timeless Ti is in a class of its own...especially in terms of comfort! In terms of potential, I think the Tatara (with its precise blade feel) may eventually give the Timeless Ti a run for its money...once my skill level improves. But, the amazing thing about the Ti is that it can be wielded by a complete novice with amazing results right out of the box!

I now think America makes one of the best razors in the world. Those four Medina brothers in Ohio have done us proud!
USA!🇺🇸 USA!🇺🇸

1618431451545.png

Top Bottom