What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

As I suggested earlier, I’m very fond of my S-1. The way I shave, it’s smooth and fun to use but still effective, even with my softish beard.

My stainless steel S-1 is somewhat heavier than my Masamune, but you can reduce the difference with the aluminum S-1 baseplate. I wouldn’t want to give up either my S-1 or my Masamune.
OK...ATT Windsor SSM-1 Kronos/Polished is ordered!
1618184643159.png

Wow...90-Day Return Policy :thumbup:

ABOVE THE TIE
must be very confident in their product! 👏🏻

Last edited:
So now I have the Tatara, ATT, Timeless, Karve, and Feather on the way!😀

Something tells me I may find a keeper! :badger:

I will also keep my eye out for a Mamba 53 in the future!😉

Thank you all for your help.🙏🏻

Tomorrow I will make an appointment with my accountant to file for bankruptcy💰

Last edited:
Have both the Masamune and AS-D2, and the Feather requires much more attention to angle to actually cut - so could be termed less "efficient," although I find the Feather to be one of the most comfortable DE razors I've used. Both are great shavers for me, but there is much broader leeway in shaving technique with the Masamune to get a close shave, although at the expense of some comfort. It's virtually impossible to cut yourself with an AS-D2 (a plus for me, and "mild" by that definition), while you can accomplish that pretty easily with the Masamune if you whack away without paying attention, although much less than with many other DE razors.

:badger:
Have both the Masamune and AS-D2, and the Feather requires much more attention to angle to actually cut - so could be termed less "efficient," although I find the Feather to be one of the most comfortable DE razors I've used. Both are great shavers for me, but there is much broader leeway in shaving technique with the Masamune to get a close shave, although at the expense of some comfort. It's virtually impossible to cut yourself with an AS-D2 (a plus for me, and "mild" by that definition), while you can accomplish that pretty easily with the Masamune if you whack away without paying attention, although much less than with many other DE razors.
Good to know. I heard that the Feather requires a 45* angle.
Should be an interesting week...🪒 :a30:🪒...

Thanks...Hopefully I’ll find the right angle 🤞🏻

I found the Feather to be the most particular about blades than any of my other DEs as well - it works best for me actually with a Feather blade. It does require some practice, and though it's often cited as a "beginners" razor, it really benefits from experience and technique - I'd compare it to a Steinway Concert Grand, or a Bechstein: superb instruments that sound superb with even an average player, but to get to the sublime with the same instrument, you need a Rachmaninov or a Chopin at the keyboard. No chance of injury, but to get the best out of it you do need to find the right angle for you - and it may or may not be 45 degrees.

It is also, however, completely unobtainable, being no longer in production.

Asylum Shave Works made a version of it recently, but the shop messed up the baseplates so that the razor actually won't even shave, the blade exposure is so negative.

I have never tried the Mamba 53, but I have a Mamba 70, and I agree with some other posters earlier in the thread that the PAA Meta 4 razor is similar but superior to the Mamba 70. I know the Meta 4 is sold out, but undoubtedly they are producing more and will be selling them again sometime soon. The Mamba 53 is out of production.

So with "Asylum made a version" you mean the ASYLUM 17-4 I mentioned?
I expect this to be a modern razor you can't cut yourself with.
Thats rather mild innit?

I found the Feather to be the most particular about blades than any of my other DEs as well - it works best for me actually with a Feather blade. It does require some practice, and though it's often cited as a "beginners" razor, it really benefits from experience and technique - I'd compare it to a Steinway Concert Grand, or a Bechstein: superb instruments that sound superb with even an average player, but to get to the sublime with the same instrument, you need a Rachmaninov or a Chopin at the keyboard. No chance of injury, but to get the best out of it you do need to find the right angle for you - and it may or may not be 45 degrees.
Thank you for your insight...and your musical analogy. Unfortunately, as a novice, I’m all thumbs when it comes to to playing the DE ‘piano’. No one will ever mistake me for Chopin! That, coupled with the fact that I have no less than 5 other ‘Steinway-quality’ razors 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 arriving today, leads me to believe that the Feather may not be the one for me. We shall see. It will be going up against the Timeless Ti .68 this afternoon, which I hear may have a bigger sweet spot than the Feather. Both will be paired with my favorite ‘piece’, the Personna Medical Prep blade in D minor 🎶

Thank you for your insight...and your musical analogy. Unfortunately, as a novice, I’m all thumbs when it comes to to playing the DE ‘piano’. No one will ever mistake me for Chopin! That, coupled with the fact that I have no less than 5 other ‘Steinway-quality’ razors 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 🪒 arriving today, leads me to believe that the Feather may not be the one for me. We shall see. It will be going up against the Timeless Ti .68 this afternoon, which I hear may have a bigger sweet spot than the Feather. Both will be paired with my favorite ‘piece’, the Personna Medical Prep blade in D minor 🎶

I actually have a 0.68 Ti as well - the analogy would be an upright with Billy Joel at the keys. :001_smile Bang on it anyway you want, and Piano Man will come out - and light up the whole room! You won't need to finesse the Timeless - it almost finds its own angle. I wander between favorite razors, and the Timeless Ti is up in the top 3 (often #1 in the rotation). The weight (lack of) may take some adjustment, but I love it because of that. I have the unpolished version, and find it gives me a very smooth shave with very little effort. I'd also define it as "mild," and certainly IMO one of the best DEs made.

I gave my AS-D2 to my 15 y/o son a few months ago. It was BY FAR the mildest razor I ever shaved with... the dozen or so times that I actually used it. Wonderful razor for a beginner or a person with light growth, but too mild for my beard.

OK...let the fun begin! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competetors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C
$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune
$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1
$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2
$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve🇨🇦
CB
$90

Timeless🇺🇸
Ti
$300

Timeless🇺🇸
AL
$75

Timeless did not arrive on time! Should arrive tomorrow! DHL is so much better than UPS! I got my Karve from Canada 🇨🇦 in 2 days...and my Timeless from Ohio is going to take 4 day!🙄

Round One: Tatara 🇵🇹 vs Feather🇯🇵...Knock Out 1st Pass!

Now...no offense...I love the Japanese people. They make the best cars 🚙 I love Sushi 🍣 ..and I can't wait to try one of their paperless toilets 🚽 They are humble...and noble..and gifted...and respectful, etc., etc. But...in all honesty, I HATE the Feather...the blade and the razor. As a matter of fact, I now consider myself anti-Feather!😾
I find them harsh and unforgiving...I was so happy 🙏 that UPS was open until 7:00 so that I could return this skin scraper back to Amazon where it belongs! ✈

OTOH...I LOVE the Portuguese 🇵razor! What's the deal?! The best razor of my was life (the Tatara Masamune) comes from...PORTUGAL🇵🇹?! I can't believe it! Those 3 Amigos (André, João, and Luis) know what they're doing! I had a smooth, comfortable, efficient shave. The only "problem" was that the blade curves when installed. ↩ I've never seen that before! So, I'm screwing the handle into the baseplate (which was a little weird) and the blade starts to curve! Nobody told me that! Anyway, once I got over the initial shock, I also got the best shave of my life! The Tatara Masamune has now officially replaced my Rockwell 6C as my favorite razor...and (until defeated) will be featured on my avatar!

P.S. Within the next couple of days, I expect the ATT and Timeless to be delivered. Let's see if the Americans 🇺🇸 can beat the Portuguese🇵🇹 ;)

P.P.S. I also have the Karve CB 🇨🇦plates A and AA to test. Plates B, C, and D were way to aggressive! But, I love the fit and finish of the brass CB!

Last edited:

6C
$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune
$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1
$185

AS-D2
$175

Karve🇨🇦
CB
$90

Timeless🇺🇸
Ti
$300

Timeless🇺🇸
AL
$75

Timeless did not arrive on time! Should arrive tomorrow! DHL is so much better than UPS! I got my Karve from Canada 🇨🇦 in 2 days...and my Timeless from Ohio is going to take 4 day!🙄

Now...no offense...I love the Japanese people. They make the best cars 🚙 I love Sushi 🍣 ..and I can't wait to try one of their paperless toilets 🚽 They are humble...and noble..and gifted...and respectful, etc., etc. But...in all honesty, I HATE the Feather...the blade and the razor. As a matter of fact, I now consider myself anti-Feather!😾
I find them harsh and unforgiving...I was so happy 🙏 that UPS was open until 7:00 so that I could return this skin scraper back to Amazon where it belongs! ✈

OTOH...I LOVE the Portuguese 🇵razor! What's the deal?! The best razor of my was life (the Tatara Masamune) comes from...PORTUGAL🇵🇹?! I can't believe it! Those 3 Amigos (André, João, and Luis) know what they're doing! I had a smooth, comfortable, efficient shave. The only "problem" was that the blade curves when installed. ↩ I've never seen that before! So, I'm screwing the handle into the baseplate (which was a little weird) and the blade starts to curve! Nobody told me that! Anyway, once I got over the initial shock, I also got the best shave of my life! The Tatara Masamune has now officially replaced my Rockwell 6C as my favorite razor...and (until defeated) will be featured on my avatar!

P.S. Within the next couple of days, I expect the ATT and Timeless to be delivered. Let's see if the Americans 🇺🇸 can beat the Portuguese🇵🇹 ;)

P.P.S. I also have the Karve CB 🇨🇦plates A and AA to test. Plates B, C, and D were way to aggressive! But, I love the fit and finish of the brass CB!
What? No Razorocks? 😁

6C
$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune
$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1
$185

AS-D2
$175

Karve🇨🇦
CB
$90

Timeless🇺🇸
Ti
$300

Timeless🇺🇸
AL
$75

Every man's face is different so one man's best ever razor could be another man's most hated razor. Still, I was astonished to read that you found the asd2 harsh feeling. It is the only razor that I would be confident to shave with absent mindedly ruminating on the football match and not get cut. I wonder if your true peeve is with the fwather razor blade which is among the harshest feeling razor blades around in my own experience? Perhaps another few days of shaving with the asd2 using other more comfortable blades would enable you to get used to the asd2 and learn how to use it most effectively and avoid using pressure on it...

Every man's face is different so one man's best ever razor could be another man's most hated razor. Still, I was astonished to read that you found the asd2 harsh feeling. It is the only razor that I would be confident to shave with absent mindedly ruminating on the football match and not get cut. I wonder if your true peeve is with the fwather razor blade which is among the harshest feeling razor blades around in my own experience? Perhaps another few days of shaving with the asd2 using other more comfortable blades would enable you to get used to the asd2 and learn how to use it most effectively and avoid using pressure on it...
I don't think it was the Feather blade, mainly because I didn't use a Feather blade. I only use Personna Med Prep...and I've used that blade in 10 other razors...with ZERO irritation. So, that's what led me to the conclusion that it was the razor.

It is, by multiple reviews and personal experience, one of the mildest razors out there. One of the problems with it, however, is the tendency (starting with my initial experience) to honk down on it to get it to shave. This is a mistake. And as noted previously, it's not really a beginner's razor IMO - to the contrary, I wouldn't recommend the Feather until you have a few other DE razors under your belt, and are confident of your technique and looking to explore. That said, YMM indeed V, and everyone must search for the razor that matches their skin, face and technique. Even experienced shavers may pass by the Feather for a less demanding, more consistent DE that doesn't require such a learning curve and precision. It's a wide shaving world....

Top Bottom