What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Finally an AS-D2 positive mention! When reading this thread I sometimes feel I’m using a mediocre razor and have a tendency to crave something else.

You are definitely not using a mediocre razor. The AS-D2 is my favorite razor. There's others that I like a lot and are part of my rotation, but if I had to choose only one, it would be the AS-D2.

Here is how I would rank the razors that I currently use...
1) Feather AS-D2
2) Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
3) Rockwell 6S (Plates 2 & 3)
4) Timeless .68 SB

Very interested in this, I recently learned about negative & positive exposure and I am currently between Masamune and Henson mild, the ingrown hair issue is killing me and I have tried everything -- except getting a 'mild' razor. What is the consensus, which one is the mildest razor of them all?

I would suggest the Henson Mild (AL13 or Ti22):

IMG-0064.jpg

The mildest (and best-looking) vintage razor is the Gilette Aristocrat (4th Gen.) Made in England (from Set #22 or #66). Just be aware that vintage razors have short handles!

BB084FE7-F457-427F-95B6-8275764A2BAD.jpeg

Or my personal favorite, the Timeless Ti .68 SB:

2CF1CF62-B7A9-4586-8E82-C5156AB94D65.jpeg
The mildest blade I've used is the Astra SP:

proxy.php

Use any of these razors with these blades and you would have to work really hard to irritate your skin! ;)

This made me chuckle. The mind and its endless desires. It sounds like no matter what I get, there will always be a lingering doubt that there's something better.

Only trying to enable....er I mean help you.

All kidding aside, there is really no reason to get something else if your Feather razor is working well for you. If you just want to try something new to see if it's better, then I suggest getting razors directly from manufacturers with good return policies in case you don't like it.....Timeless, Blackland, H&S, Henson, Tatara etc.

Only trying to enable....er I mean help you.

All kidding aside, there is really no reason to get something else if your Feather razor is working well for you. If you just want to try something new to see if it's better, then I suggest getting razors directly from manufacturers with good return policies in case you don't like it.....Timeless, Blackland, H&S, Henson, Tatara etc.
@J-MN says AS-D2 tops the list, so now I feel much better. :D

@J-MN says AS-D2 tops the list, so now I feel much better. :D

While the AS-D2 is at the top of my list, I certainly don't want to dissuade you too much from trying other razors. What kind of B&B friend would I be if I were to do that.:lol:

Like @gdawg55 suggested, there are a lot of other great options out there that you may or may not like more than the AS-D2, but for myself, I have yet to find it. Any razors that I buy these days is mostly just for the fun of trying something new that piques my interest, but I'm not necessarily expecting it to take over one of the spots in my small rotation.

If you're happy with the AS-D2 and don't have a strong desire to try something new, count yourself lucky and just stick with the one razor, especially since what you have is a great one.

While the AS-D2 is at the top of my list, I certainly don't want to dissuade you too much from trying other razors. What kind of B&B friend would I be if I were to do that.:lol:
The real kind, you know, the kind that cares about my financial well-being. :D
If you're happy with the AS-D2 and don't have a strong desire to try something new, count yourself lucky and just stick with the one razor, especially since what you have is a great one.
I'm content with it in that I think I have a Lexus, but wondering if there's a Bentley out there. Buying razors and returning or BSTing them seems like a bit of hassle, so I'm trying to do as much research as I can. I'm most curious about the Wolfman because I like the looks.

I am on the opposite side because I have a WR2 and other nice razors and wonder if I am missing out on the ASD2 lol. Doubt I will get a better shave with it, but then again who knows…
For me, there are many factors driving how much I like a razor in addition to the quality of the shave - material, craftsmanship, design, patina, etc.

Unexpectedly, the Henson AL13 did not work well for me at all with Feather and Astra green blades.

I am on the opposite side because I have a WR2 and other nice razors and wonder if I am missing out on the ASD2 lol. Doubt I will get a better shave with it, but then again who knows…
For me, there are many factors driving how much I like a razor in addition to the quality of the shave - material, craftsmanship, design, patina, etc.

Unexpectedly, the Henson AL13 did not work well for me at all with Feather and Astra green blades.
Which head does the WR2 have and what are some of the things you like/don't like about it?

Oh, I didn’t say I don’t like my WR2 - I love it! It’s the 95 SB and I want a dual comb SB + OC in the future. Also would prefer a longer handle, not to mention a Ti version. Feathers feel rough in my WR2 but Astra greens are awesome. I just meant that one always wonders if another razor may be a better fit and experience.

The AS-D2 won't give you any better final results than the WR2, but it handles a lot differently, which you may or may not prefer. Like you said, many things combined are what makes a razor appealing to each individual.

BTW, I didn't really care for the Henson and ended up selling it off pretty quickly. It's very well engineered, but I didn't really like how it felt on my face, didn't care for the ultra light weight of the aluminum, and didn't find it visually appealing at all. I get why people like it, but it wasn't for me.

Which head does the WR2 have and what are some of the things you like/don't like about it?
Oh, I didn’t say I don’t like my WR2 - I love it! It’s the 95 SB and I want a dual comb SB + OC in the future. Also would prefer a longer handle, not to mention a Ti version. Feathers feel rough in my WR2 but Astra greens are awesome. I just meant that one always wonders if another razor may be a better fit and experience.

Like you, @izlat, I also feel that the WR2 is wonderful. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it and it really is a work of art to look at, too. I still like the AS-D2 more since it just feels like the most natural extension of my hand, but when the mood strikes, the WR2 is a joy to use.

OK...let the fun come to a conclusion! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather 😊 🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti Polished :thumbup:
$300
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)

Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte :badger:
$250
(Comfort 10, Efficiency 9.9)

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Lupo .72 🐺
$70
(Comfort 4 😿, Efficiency 8)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9.5)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Mild :badger:
$250
(Comfort 9.9, Efficiency 9.75)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium :a14:
$250
(Comfort 9.75, Efficiency 9.75)

Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Aggressive 🤔
$250
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.8)

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸 :thumbup:
$358
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.5)

Fatip Testina Gentile 🇮🇹 🤔
$30
(Comfort 9...but Handle/Balance= 👎 , Efficiency 8)

Blackbird Ti 🇺🇸 😲🗡
$300
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 10)

King C. Gillette 🇨🇳 :a14:
$23
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9)

Haircut & Shave Co. 🇺🇲 :)
Z074 Ti-5

$400
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.8)

Edwin Jagger 🇬🇧 :)
DE89

$40
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 8)

Mühle 🇩🇪 🤨
R89
$45
(Comfort 6, Efficiency 7)

OK, I tried my last two New razors today, the Edwin Jagger DE89 🇬🇧and the Mühle R89 🇩🇪. The EJ was better in terms of both comfort and efficiency...but neither came close to the Timeless Ti in either category.

Also, I recently tried the King C. Gillette 🇨🇳 side-by-side with the Timeless 🇺🇲. The King was not nearly as smooth as the first time...no cuts but some irritation...whereas the Timeless again performed flawlessly, especially in terms of comfort!

Plus, a second shave with the H&S proved to be much less comfortable than the first time...with a couple of weepers 😢 and some irritation. This could be "user error" but I don't think so. Even if it was, I need a razor that's more forgiving.

What I love so much about the Timeless and Henson razors is that THEY NEVER CAUSE ME IRRITATION NO MATTER WHAT!!

So, the new Top 3:

1 Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte
2 Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Mild
3 Henson 🇨🇦 Ti22-Medium

Honorable Mention: Tatara Masamune 🇵🇹
How much smoother would you describe the Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte over the Henson AL Medium?
Would you say it's barely smoother or significantly/noticably smoother?

How much smoother would you describe the Timeless 🇺🇸 Ti .68 Smooth Matte over the Henson AL Medium?
Would you say it's barely smoother or significantly/noticably smoother?
Not him but have timeless polished and two hensons (mild and med)
also have changed a bit and sure I will keep changing :)

For me the timeless is smoother durring the shave (the timeless 68 comb is more blade feel and durring shave comfort is NOT as comfy as the Med Henson ) the mild henson is the smoothest of all its like you are 7 and dad gave you a razor with no blade :)

timeless is not as angle critical and I prefer riding the cap so going around jawline is easy ! So its easier to shave with I reckon

the henson for me has a very narrow sweet spot and tougher to get under nose and around jawline cause of that

the feel in hand the timeless is nicer

the audio feedback the timeless is nicer

Henson Med has a touch more blade feel (putting the timeless 68 straight bar vs the GC 68 the blade feel of the henson is closer to the GC as in you feel it a touch) the mild henson has less feel than the Timeless so Henson offers something on both sides of the timeless 68 and the 68 comb of the timeless is past all of those in you feel the blade

the post comfy feel I might give nod to the Henson though

the lightweight aluminum henson just makes it feel so different than the timeless
it might be like two cars exact same performance as far as numbers go but one is 3,000 lbs one is 5,000 lbs they are going to handle and feel different and one is not better than the other

recently I am back to liking my GC68 over my timeless which I am kinda like HUH did not see that coming ! about and plan to start playing with my Med Henson again
they are all so mild so nice and comfy

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Not in synch with the flow of the conversation but...I had an AS-D2. It was exceptionally comfortable and gave great shaves BUT the narrow workable angle required constant attention. An Above the Tie Windsor with a mild plate (I have the copper one) gets me BBS with minimal effort plus comfort comparable to the AS-D2. There is no need for attentive managing of the angle required.

I just had the two best shaves (BBS with zero irritation) with the Wolfman WR2 SS .95.
While it may be a tiny bit less smooth than the Timeless Ti .68, it blows it (and everything else, with the exception of the Blackland Vector Ti) out of the water 🌊 in terms of efficiency. I have very sensitive skin. It's almost impossible for me to go ATG without significant irritation. Problem solved...The Wolf 🐺 doesn't bite! 😊

Here it is with the Timeless Ti Crown Handle ($60):

IMG-0148 (1).jpg

P.S. It's not cheap ($200+) for the head, but it's totally worth it ;)

P.P.S. The current waitlist is 4-5 months. But, hey, what can you do 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I just had the two best shaves (BBS with zero irritation) with the Wolfman WR2 SS .95.
While it may be a tiny bit less smooth than the Timeless Ti .68, it blows it (and everything else, with the exception of the Blackland Vector Ti) out of the water 🌊 in terms of efficiency. I have very sensitive skin. It's almost impossible for me to go ATG without significant irritation. Problem solved...The Wolf 🐺 doesn't bite! 😊

Here it is with the Timeless Ti Crown Handle ($60):

P.S. It's not cheap ($200+) for the head, but it's totally worth it ;)

P.P.S. The current waitlist is 4-5 months. But, hey, what can you do 🤷‍♂️
Time to re-post the score chart with updates?

Top Bottom