What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very interested in this, I recently learned about negative & positive exposure and I am currently between Masamune and Henson mild, the ingrown hair issue is killing me and I have tried everything -- except getting a 'mild' razor. What is the consensus, which one is the mildest razor of them all?

Consensus? You're kidding, right?

There are many razors generally considered quite mild. A few which come to mind for me.
  1. SLOC
  2. Schick DE
  3. Hone 15
  4. Karve (Plates with negative blade exposure; the B OC feels very mild to me.)
  5. Game Changer 68; it has a positive blade exposure but feels very smooth and mild to me.
I think what you might be looking for is a smooth feeling, not skin-damaging, effective razor. Mild is a somewhat subjective term as you know.

There are a great many other possible options some of which are very expensive. To a degree this is all very subjective, individual, and YMMV.

Joel @Johnnynroy is a good person to follow if ingrown hairs are an issue. He has considerable experience and lots of smarts about ingrown hairs and such.

Whether mild razors are the answer to your problem is beyond my pay grade, but the above razors are ones I think of as mild.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very interested in this, I recently learned about negative & positive exposure and I am currently between Masamune and Henson mild, the ingrown hair issue is killing me and I have tried everything -- except getting a 'mild' razor. What is the consensus, which one is the mildest razor of them all?

As Jim mentioned, I’ve been struggling with ingrown hairs myself for a very long time. Don’t want to derail this thread entirely, but I wanted to take a second to comment to respond to this post as you want to make sure you’re fixing the problem, which may not require a new razor. Things that have helped me (more than switching among razors):

-good face prep with a high quality face soap before shaving (well hydrated hairs cut more easily and are less likely to break off)
-exfoliating my skin at least once a week (either with a face wash scrub or with a face mask)
-using very slick soaps to reduce drag on my skin
-not going ATG until the ingrown hairs have resolved.
-not using high alcohol aftershaves unless I’m also using a moisturizing aftershave balm as well.
-swapping out blades more often so that my blade is very sharp as it encounters the whiskers (this way you slice the whiskers instead of breaking them off)
-shaving less frequently to give the hairs time to grow above the skin before then trying to shave them at skin level.
-beard mapping so you know what your true wtg, xtg and atg passes are. Try to only do wtg if possible for a week or more until they resolve.

I still do occasionally get ingrown hairs. This is due to my hair being very curly and wiry at baseline, and my whiskers also having this quality. I have tried dozens of razors seeking the one that wouldn’t cause ingrown hairs. Spent tons of money on the issue. I’ve found the razor didn’t make as much difference as the above mentioned items. If you’re having other shaving issues, such as nicks and weepers, then using a milder razor may solve some of those issues for you. Otherwise, I wouldn’t continue seeking new razors until you’ve exhausted other ways to fix the ingrown hairs.

I tried the Henson moderate. Good razor for entry for cartridge folks. Nothing special though in comparison to the Vector… I gave the Henson to my 16-year old in exchange for his iKon X3 slant. I think he’ll be happier.

I’m about to purchase the Masamune. Will report back.

First outing with the Tatara Masamune and a fresh Feather blade.

The following review is based on my experience with the Blackland Vector SB as a daily driver and my brief experience with the Henson moderate, that was loaded with a BIC Chrome Platinum blade. Of note, I have a dense, coarse beard, so my experience with razor efficiency may not mimic yours. YMMV.

First, I was disappointed to see exposed blade edges on the sides of the Tatara. I was under the impression that exposed tabs were remnants of vintage razors, not modern ones. Given its tight tolerances, there’s not ever going to be an issue with blade misalignment, so perhaps Tatara opted for a smaller head to make the razor more nimble? That may be a fine decision, so long as maneuverability doesn’t come at the cost of cuts. Time will tell. On this point, the Henson beats the Tatara for safety.

In terms of maneuverability, both the Henson and Tatara fare equally, though both suffer under the nose: the Henson because of its narrow shave angle and the Tatara because of its exposed blade tab, making it difficult to cut XTG. Nothing beats the Vector in this regard.

The shave was the smoothest I’ve ever experienced. Unlike the Henson moderate, the Tatara had practically zero blade feel. Whether this smoothness was a function of the blade or the razor itself remains to be determined.

In terms if efficiency, the Henson and Tatara again fared equally, but both being less efficient than the Vector. A two-pass shave is usually enough to get BBS on my neck, but with both razors, a third pass was necessary, increasing the risk of irritation and aftershave sting (even though none occurred today).

All in all, a very good first impression with the Tatara, smoother than both Henson and the Vector, but less efficient (despite the Feather blade) than the Vector. That said, whenever there’s zero aftershave sting, there’s cause for celebration.

I’ll try stretching the skin a little more in the neck area to see if I can manage a BBS with just two strokes. If so, then the Vector may have found a legitimate competitor.

IMG_3177.jpg

First outing with the Tatara Masamune and a fresh Feather blade.

The following review is based on my experience with the Blackland Vector SB as a daily driver and my brief experience with the Henson moderate, that was loaded with a BIC Chrome Platinum blade. Of note, I have a dense, coarse beard, so my experience with razor efficiency may not mimic yours. YMMV.

First, I was disappointed to see exposed blade edges on the sides of the Tatara. I was under the impression that exposed tabs were remnants of vintage razors, not modern ones. Given its tight tolerances, there’s not ever going to be an issue with blade misalignment, so perhaps Tatara opted for a smaller head to make the razor more nimble? That may be a fine decision, so long as maneuverability doesn’t come at the cost of cuts. Time will tell. On this point, the Henson beats the Tatara for safety.

In terms of maneuverability, both the Henson and Tatara fare equally, though both suffer under the nose: the Henson because of its narrow shave angle and the Tatara because of its exposed blade tab, making it difficult to cut XTG. Nothing beats the Vector in this regard.

The shave was the smoothest I’ve ever experienced. Unlike the Henson moderate, the Tatara had practically zero blade feel. Whether this smoothness was a function of the blade or the razor itself remains to be determined.

In terms if efficiency, the Henson and Tatara again fared equally, but both being less efficient than the Vector. A two-pass shave is usually enough to get BBS on my neck, but with both razors, a third pass was necessary, increasing the risk of irritation and aftershave sting (even though none occurred today).

All in all, a very good first impression with the Tatara, smoother than both Henson and the Vector, but less efficient (despite the Feather blade) than the Vector. That said, whenever there’s zero aftershave sting, there’s cause for celebration.

I’ll try stretching the skin a little more in the neck area to see if I can manage a BBS with just two strokes. If so, then the Vector may have found a legitimate competitor.

View attachment 1340453

Nice razor. If you want more efficient while still remaining smooth, get the Nodachi base plate and cap. I have all the SB combinations and while they all shave great, I find the Nodachi head on the Masamune handle to be an perfect combination. Very efficient and still smooth. The Nodachi base with Masamune cap is also a really good combination.

Nice razor. If you want more efficient while still remaining smooth, get the Nodachi base plate and cap. I have all the SB combinations and while they all shave great, I find the Nodachi head on the Masamune handle to be an perfect combination. Very efficient and still smooth. The Nodachi base with Masamune cap is also a really good combination.

Thanks for the tip! I had heard about the Nodachi base + Masamune cap combination before, so having it confirmed again is reassuring.

-good face prep with a high quality face soap before shaving (well hydrated hairs cut more easily and are less likely to break off)
-exfoliating my skin at least once a week (either with a face wash scrub or with a face mask)
-using very slick soaps to reduce drag on my skin
-not going ATG until the ingrown hairs have resolved.
-not using high alcohol aftershaves unless I’m also using a moisturizing aftershave balm as well.
-swapping out blades more often so that my blade is very sharp as it encounters the whiskers (this way you slice the whiskers instead of breaking them off)
-shaving less frequently to give the hairs time to grow above the skin before then trying to shave them at skin level.
-beard mapping so you know what your true wtg, xtg and atg passes are. Try to only do wtg if possible for a week or more until they resolve.
Thank you, sir, seriously, so many helpful people in here, it's humbling. Most of these steps I am aware, but I'll try adding all the rest (especially the peeling one) thanks again! (meant to PM you, really don't want to derail the thread further, but it would seem it's not possible for me -- or I'm missing something)

You're not kidding! I used the "1" plate with an Astra blade today and it's even milder than my RazoRock Baby Smooth! My face feels like it's still got 1 day worth of growth. I'll just use a sharper blade and see what happens. Also, I'll be trying the "3" setting...

Well, on the Rockwell 2C, the #3 plate works for me but I'd actually like something a LITTLE more aggressive so I should have bought the 6C? Probably the #4 setting plate would be perfect? Oh well, I figured the #1 or #2 setting would be good for me but I UNDERestimated how mild they were, having nothing to compare them to.

I guess I'll p/u the 6c...

From my experience (I have both Tatara and Timeless razors) the Tatara is like a race car and the Timeless is more like a comfy sedan. If you get a Tatara with the Mesamune handle (any head combo) I believe you'll find it one of the best razors you've ever shaved with as far as comfort, closeness, and maneuverability. My Tatara Nodachi head/Mesamune handle is my best performing DE out of about 8 that stay in my top rotation.....the Henson Ti22 medium is second.
Interesting ranking. So Timeless is 3rd in your book?

I may end up keeping the Timeless and the V2 (or Vector)…we will see. I prefer to have only one razor 🪒 but it may take me a while to decide. I like the AC blades but the Timeless (aka “Mindless”) is so easy to use without any danger ⚠ that it may be worthwhile keeping around just in case I’m half asleep 😴 or something 😂
So which one won?

Interesting ranking. So Timeless is 3rd in your book?

No....Timeless is last for me out of 8-9 razors that I keep in rotation. They are smooth shavers but fail in the efficiency dept for me. Don't get me wrong, Timeless, makes a great product, but I have other razors that work just a little better.

No....Timeless is last for me out of 8-9 razors that I keep in rotation. They are smooth shavers but fail in the efficiency dept for me. Don't get me wrong, Timeless, makes a great product, but I have other razors that work just a little better.
Would appreciate if you can share your ranking of currently available mild razors.

With a occam Oren and a Kai protouch you can be utterly blund without causing damage. And you can vary the agressiveness by changing the base plate. And later you can even go further by using feather pro
If you can get a second it is worth a try.

Would appreciate if you can share your ranking of currently available mild razors.

Here are my top performers I can use daily that provide near identical results (super close, comfortable shaves). They are not all mild, but not really aggressive either. All my razors need to be daily users. These are in no particular order as stated already, all these razors provide near identical results.

Tatara Nodachi head on Masamune handle
Blackbird
ATT Windsor SSRH plate
Henson Ti22 medium
Yates 921-M
EJ 3one6
Muhle Rocca
H&S P076

Timeless 95 comes behind all these for me in terms of efficiency, but would rank higher than some in the smoothness department.

Finally an AS-D2 positive mention! When reading this thread I sometimes feel I’m using a mediocre razor and have a tendency to crave something else.
I shaved with one for a week and it gave me mediocre shaves. This is the kind of razor you have to pay attention to the angle and I feel it takes a couple of weeks to dial in the shave. A lot of shavers love this razor after almost giving up in the beginning.

I would love to try this razor again, and give it time to perfect the shave. when that may happen..who knows! Frank M.

Finally an AS-D2 positive mention! When reading this thread I sometimes feel I’m using a mediocre razor and have a tendency to crave something else.
There are as many opinions about razors as there are about blades and soaps and fragrances. There are plenty of us who love this razor. It gives me a clean close shave and minimizes irritation. It took me some time to master the angle to get the best shave, but then it took me awhile as a kid to master bicycle riding, but once I did it was automatic. So it is with AS-D2.

This is the kind of razor you have to pay attention to the angle and I feel it takes a couple of weeks to dial in the shave. A lot of shavers love this razor after almost giving up in the beginning.
Here's my take on it and perhaps someone with experience that liked the AS-D2 and/or agrees with my assessment and now has found something better could help me.

First, I think the AS-D2 is unique in that it has a coating on the stainless steel which pretty much makes it rust proof. I also really like the way it looks and the design of the head. I would imagine you need to get a titanium razor with the other makes to ensure the razor remains rust proof, because stainless steel can rust unless properly maintained (like making sure it's dried completely after each use).

Now on to the shaving aspect.

Once I found the right angle, I'm not sure I can even call it mild. I can easily slice through a 3-day stubble. I have what I consider average growth, not heavy, in the sense that I do need to shave everyday or it shows. That said, if I attempt 3 passes, it usually results in skin tears especially below the lower lip and chin. Also, if I'm not careful, I can nick myself pretty easily. With the wrong angle, it won't cut -- that's why I think where people think it's mild. Getting a DFS in 2 passes with no skin tears is my typical shave. I'm at SAS after the first pass (WTG), and the second pass (XTG) helps clean up some of the harder areas like right under the lower lip, the chin, the upper lip, around the jawline, the neck, etc. There's zero rash and if I stop at 2 passes, no tears and almost no razor burn. If I attempt a 3rd pass (ATG), I won't feel as good the next day and there's significant risk (> 80%) of a skin tear and also razor burn. So I typically don't. What is the use of bloody BBS?

Why am I interested in other razors? Here are a couple of reasons that come to mind.
- I've heard folks talk about some razors as being smooth like Bentley. I imagine this means you don't really feel the blade but it somehow does its job. Is this true? If so, what razor is that?
- I've heard about some razors that eliminate blade chatter because of the head design and super tight tolerances. I think I heard this for the Henson and Timeless. Would there be any chatter in the AS-D2? Is there any truth to this blade chatter elimination?

The ultimate razor would be one that allowed me to do 3 passes without risking skin tears. Not sure if possible or if this is just my skin, but I used to get skin tears with 2 passes with my EJ DE89 which preceded the AS-D2, so the AS-D2 represents a significant improvement over that razor. Less important, it would also reduce the chance of nicks which I sometimes get near the cheekbone and the nostril if I'm not being careful.

Reactions: JVS

That's what happens when you get on this board....lol. All of a sudden, the razor you have just isn't good enough. Like many here, I fell down the razor rabbit hole a long time ago. I have finally reeled myself in and have settled on the razors I listed above. I may eventually try to whittle it down to 5 at some point....I do like a little variety.

Nothing wrong with the AS-D2 if it works well for you. I've never had one, but hear once you learn the angle, it shaves pretty good. Are there better razors out there for you? Maybe....the only way to know is to try a few.

Last edited:
Top Bottom