What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Well if you need one.... I have both the GC .68p and GC .84p, the .84 I think is leaving the den since it is redundant. It is more aggressive and efficient than the .68.
Thanks but I think I’m going to try to find a DCL...or is it DLC...a Lupo “D something” 😂
Do you happen to have an extra one of those lying around in your den?

So took a shave break today from all my new mild razors and went back to my Ambassador not old just something I started with last month as I loved the look of it and had to start somewhere with my 34c which I did not like :) and once I can post in the buy sell going to list the ambassador or trade ?

I do love the thing the build the feel etc. but to much for my face :)

so glad I bought more than a few razors to try and truly experience and not done in the search but for sure learning a ton every day !

2. Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB.
I’m sure this has been mentioned previously, and this would be the most aggressive on my list, but not by much, and certainly not an agressive razor overall, just relative to my list. Great razor, no faults, works well with a wide variety of blades and provides more blade feel than my other two picks. This is my go to razor when getting the closest shave is my priority. The level one CG SB razor is good too, but it’s less effective and I don’t really find it to be significantly milder/smoother. Maybe the level 1 with an OC baseplate would be good? I tried to find a lvl 1 OC baseplate for a while, but eventually tired of the chase.

I have been following this thread with interest & I think yours is the first mention of the CG Level 2 SB. It is in my current top 5 DE razors, which are all mild, smooth & efficient. I found the same as you with regards the comparison of the Level 2 v Level 1. I also have the Level 3 SB & the extra closeness over the Level 2 is not worth the extra harshness / blade feel.

My top 5 DEs, ranked 1 to 5, with 1 being the best. Positions 1 & 5 are pretty static, but positions 2,3 & 4 swap around regularly.

1. Razorock Game Changer 0.68 SB
2. Feather AS-D2
3. Charcoal Goods Version 1 Level 2 SB
4. Razorock Mamba 0.53
5. Tatara Masamune SB

Also highly recommended is the "fakelite" Merkur 45, which with a Feather blade installed, just wipes the stubble from my face. This might soon be replacing the Masamune in my top 5.

I have recently acquired a Henson AL-13 mild/ladies version & I am 3 shaves in with it. I am finding it to be quite "tuggy" in use & not all that smooth. I have so far tried the 1/4 turn trick; thinner lather & swapping the Astra for a Feather blade. The way it shaves reminds me of my brass Hone 15, which also comes nowhere near to my top 5 razors in terms of smoothness, but is a razor that I very much wish worked for me.

fun to read others thoughts favs etc.. especially with something like the GC against the Charcoal goods

couple questions (open to anyone of course) if ya dont mind

have you tried the GC .68 comb ?
have you tried the Mamba 70
and any thoughts of what those kinda fit in for comfort efficiency compared

the yates comb has really peaked my interest in combs ! And going to get a GC .68 comb when they are back in stock and with the timeless when I order one going to have to try the comb

also why I think anyone new like me reading this try as many razors and blade combos out as you can cause we all vary so much on what we like :)
example the feathers or hensons as this thread has shown swing both ways to like or not :)

I have been following this thread with interest & I think yours is the first mention of the CG Level 2 SB. It is in my current top 5 DE razors, which are all mild, smooth & efficient. I found the same as you with regards the comparison of the Level 2 v Level 1. I also have the Level 3 SB & the extra closeness over the Level 2 is not worth the extra harshness / blade feel.

My top 5 DEs, ranked 1 to 5, with 1 being the best. Positions 1 & 5 are pretty static, but positions 2,3 & 4 swap around regularly.

1. Razorock Game Changer 0.68 SB
2. Feather AS-D2
3. Charcoal Goods Version 1 Level 2 SB
4. Razorock Mamba 0.53
5. Tatara Masamune SB

Also highly recommended is the "fakelite" Merkur 45, which with a Feather blade installed, just wipes the stubble from my face. This might soon be replacing the Masamune in my top 5.

I have recently acquired a Henson AL-13 mild/ladies version & I am 3 shaves in with it. I am finding it to be quite "tuggy" in use & not all that smooth. I have so far tried the 1/4 turn trick; thinner lather & swapping the Astra for a Feather blade. The way it shaves reminds me of my brass Hone 15, which also comes nowhere near to my top 5 razors in terms of smoothness, but is a razor that I very much wish worked for me.

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃
$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)
I am not trying to match his ratings above but we have seem to kinda come to similar conclusions especially on the Feather AS-D2 we both did not like while others love it and the GC .68 we both really were WOW

my score to compare
Mamba .53
comfort 8
efficiency 8

BBS
comfort 7.5
efficiency 8.5

——————————————-

So did another comparison between my Mamba .53 and the BBS both loaded with new Nacet blades
so why I quoted his !
Did take 3 passes and clean up to get BBS
checking after 2 passes I would have been fine with either as a daily shave but the Yates and GC did a much better 2 pass !

I came away today with the Mamba and BBS being so close and I can see why the BBS is a touch higher on the chart that Italian Barber has RazoRock Razor Scale - #1 is the Mildest and #31 is the Most Aggressiv – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale
I got a touch closer shave with the BBS but at the small cost and we are talking tiny in splashing on Old Spice after shave which I find to be more stingy feeling than my others :) that was the ONLY way I could try to pick a score to use and even then it was more a tie than one loosing
no irritation on either side just a tiny touch more AS burn on the BBS side and I mean a TINY difference

for some reason on my cheeks the mamba felt the tiniest bit smoother while shaving
the BBS was a touch more efficient kinda cancelling each other out for me this time with these blades :)

so closing thoughts :)
the fact the blade loading on the Mambas has the extra two alignment tabs on the base plate not on the head I might say the BBS is easier to load the blade ? And that is part of my ease of use factor Besides blade angle finding

and with that shave I think now I am going to be selling off the BBS the Mamba and my Rex Ambassador :)
the GC .68 and Henson(mild) and Yates are still something I prefer over these and need to narrow down those 3 now

——————————
One more thing :)
ease to use or finding the blade angle the GC .68 and the Yates with more blade feel that does not effect comfort for me make the GC and Yates easier to use the edge of where the angle is also feels a touch more forgiving and you feel the blade start to cut less as you change angles and in some ways the ease of use makes them more comfy as you do not have to come back over a area if you messed up your angle the Mamba and BBS angles are more like the Henson they seem to be ON or OFF and not much variable but the Henson is so easy to feel the angle reckon the head shape ? So again the Henson is unique and one of those I can see folks loving or hating it because its so unique :)

for me the factors are kinda in order but if one effects the other to much I have to balance that
#1 comfort
#2 ease of use
#3 efficiency

have you tried the GC .68 comb ?

I have a GC .84/68 SB & a .68 OC. I love using the the SB plates & I'm not a fan of the .68 OC. I find the SB plates smoother. Comparing the .68 SB to the .68 OC the OC is a little more efficient but not as smooth on my face. You get more blade feel with the OC for a little more efficiency. I prefer using GC .68/.84 SB's better.

OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti:thumbup:
$300

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild :a14:
$70

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9.5)

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸 :thumbup:
$358
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.5)

We have a new leader...the Henson AL13-Medium 🇨🇦! This razor was just as comfortable as the Mild version, except it had a tiny bit of blade feel...just enough to let you know that there was a blade actually in the razor! 😂 Honestly, the Mild lives up to its name so well, the first time I used it I had to check the razor to make sure there was a blade in it! The Medium actually feels better by letting you know where the blade is...while still maintaining that crazy Henson comfort. It's just a little more efficient than the Mild.

The Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸is an awesome razor. I LOVE titanium 😍 The weight and feel are perfect. The efficiency was also great. The only thing is that compared to the Henson it's not as forgiving. I had a couple of tiny weepers 😢X2. No biggy...just compared to the two Hensons, it's not as smooth. Also, the handle on the Carbon is perfect...and Sean is the best. The Canadians 🇨🇦 may be rocking my razor world...but the Americans 🇺🇸 have the best Customer Service!

My new Top Three:

1st Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium
2nd Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild
3rd RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68

P.S.
I just bought a Henson Ti22-Medium from BST. Something tells me I'm about to experience shave nirvana. But, until that arrives and I do an actual "test shave", the Henson AL13-Medium is the razor to beat!

OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti:thumbup:
$300

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild :a14:
$70

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Medium :a14:
$70
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9.5)

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸 :thumbup:
$358
(Comfort 8, Efficiency 9.5)

We have a new leader...the Henson AL13-Medium 🇨🇦! This razor was just as comfortable as the Mild version, except it had a tiny bit of blade feel...just enough to let you know that there was a blade actually in the razor! 😂 Honestly, the Mild lives up to its name so well, the first time I used it I had to check the razor to make sure there was a blade in it! The Medium actually feels better by letting you know where the blade is...while still maintaining that crazy Henson comfort. It's just a little more efficient than the Mild.

The Carbon CX-Ti .68 R2 🇺🇸is an awesome razor. I LOVE titanium 😍 The weight and feel are perfect. The efficiency was also great. The only thing is that compared to the Henson it's not as forgiving. I had a couple of tiny weepers 😢X2. No biggy...just compared to the two Hensons, it's not as smooth. Also, the handle on the Carbon is perfect...and Sean is the best. The Canadians 🇨🇦 may be rocking my razor world...but the Americans 🇺🇸 have the best Customer Service!

My new Top Three:

2nd Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild

P.S.
I just bought a Henson Ti22-Medium from BST. Something tells me I'm about to experience shave nirvana. But, until that arrives and I do an actual "test shave", the Henson AL13-Medium is the razor to beat!

Congrats on the Ti22 score. You're going to love it. The extra heft makes it really shine.

OH GREAT !!!!
hahahaha reckon now I will have to try that for sure now :) hahaahahah

cool to hear though

Last edited:
Will be curious how the Ti compares to the AL version !
By our parallels that will make my decision easier to see which one to try out for the medium

I do have to get and test the Timeless but amazed the GC .68 is above it ? Very cool

one thing are you going to keep your mild Henson then :) or does the med just add not replace ?

I would think the new list would have been more a 1st place Medium henson replaces that mild and the GC moves to 2nd and the ATT or Timeless would have moved into 3rd ?

Or maybe when you get the Ti version we shall see how that order goes :)

My new Top Three:

2nd Henson 🇨🇦 AL13-Mild

P.S.

Will be curious how the Ti compares to the AL version !
By our parallels that will make my decision easier to see which one to try out for the medium

I do have to get and test the Timeless but amazed the GC .68 is above it ? Very cool

one thing are you going to keep your mild Henson then :) or does the med just add not replace ?

I would think the new list would have been more a 1st place Medium henson replaces that mild and the GC moves to 2nd and the ATT or Timeless would have moved into 3rd ?

Or maybe when you get the Ti version we shall see how that order goes :)
I’m only keeping one or two razors 🪒 🪒
I’m selling (or returning) the rest 😉

Top Bottom