What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Welp my Henson arrived, but so did my Taiga Ti (yes, I now own both the stainless and Ti versions). Taiga bumped the Henson so will be taking it for a test drive for a few days before I get to the Henson.

I do have to say that the Titanium Taiga feels much lighter than I thought. Feels like a piece of high technology and precision when reassembling. Whereas, and I like this a great deal, the stainless taiga feels like assembling an automatic handgun after cleaning, very satisfying in its heft and the way the pieces sound being out together. Both great, but I suspect the Ti will see more use in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp my Henson arrived, but so did my Taiga Ti (yes, I now own both the stainless and Ti versions). Taiga bumped the Henson so will be taking it for a test drive for a few days before I get to the Henson.

I do have to say that the Titanium Taiga feels much lighter than I thought. Feels like a piece of high technology and precision when reassembling. Whereas, and I like this a great deal, the stainless taiga feels like assembling an automatic handgun after cleaning, very satisfying in its heft and the way the pieces sound being out together. Both great, but I suspect the Ti will see more use in the long run.

Is that the Homelike Shaving Taiga Ti Adjustable razor BT3-1 from Russia ($480)?

Is that the Homelike Shaving Taiga Ti Adjustable razor BT3-1 from Russia ($480)?

Yes, I have no shame or dignity left. But it’s hot:)

Here’s a pic is the Ti disassembled and a pic of the stainless and Ti side by side. Ti is on the right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, I have no shame or dignity left. But it’s hot:)

Here’s a pic is the Ti disassembled and a pic of the stainless and Ti side by side. Ti is on the right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Whoa...that looks way too complicated
(and sounds a little too expensive) for me...although my mechanic would love it 😍 🛠

I prefer “simple” 3-piece razors 🪒 that are relatively “cheap”, like the Timeless Ti ($300) 😂

Also, I would be hesitant to pay over $100 to any company in Russia 🇷🇺
I think Kensurfs’ got lost in the mail 😮

I just think America 🇺🇸 and Canada 🇨🇦 have too many good offerings at a better price point with the best shipping 🪒💰✈ So...no offense, but unless I hear people say that the Homelike razors are better than Timeless, Blackland, and Henson razors, I wouldn’t even consider it.

But, I’m happy you’re happy 😃 👍🏻

Last edited:
Too many pages here, so not sure if you ended up liking your Karve A and AA plates. I actually had a less-than-positive experience with the B. I think it's slightly blade negative, so to get a close shave, you may end up pressing and nicking. If you go the other direction and get a C plate, it's much better.

In fact, you mentioned the H&S N075 ... the Karve C is pretty close to that, IMO, though the H&S N075 may be a hair milder.

Too many pages here, so not sure if you ended up liking your Karve A and AA plates. I actually had a less-than-positive experience with the B. I think it's slightly blade negative, so to get a close shave, you may end up pressing and nicking. If you go the other direction and get a C plate, it's much better.

In fact, you mentioned the H&S N075 ... the Karve C is pretty close to that, IMO, though the H&S N075 may be a hair milder.
Karve plate A was the best, but I returned the CB razor because I preferred the smoothness of the Timeless Ti and the Henson AL13.

Good to know about the H&S. It sounds a little “harsh” for me...especially since Karve plate B was similar to the H&S and I found that too harsh. You just saved me a lot of time, money, and hassle. Thanks 🙏🏻

I just bought this. Stainless steel for $35.

I really enjoy the Karve B plate and have been switching between it an the Tatara Masamune the past week. Face irritation free and skin clear.

Ok Kennyg2019, I’ve only read the first page of this thread and the last, don’t have the time for the other 20 pages :eek2: so please forgive me if the razors I mention next have already been brought to your attention. All 3 are currently out of production, but can be found used, so perhaps at least one will be a new addition to the thread.

I strongly prefer mild razors that are still effective - the “mild but efficient” moniker is starting to get on my nerves to be honest, seems both inaccurate and waaaay over used for razors that often require a lot more work to get a decent shave with - 3 passes, plus touch ups, and buffing….what’s efficient about that??

Anyway, seems you learned fairly quickly that mild alone isn’t going to cut it, so to speak. In my search for mild but effective razors I have tried a fair number of razors, including but not limited to: Timeless, ATT, Rockwell, RazoRock original Mamba and Baby Smooth, Wolfman WR1, and more. I’ve yet to find anything that beats the following 3 razors that, for me at least, provide the best balance of being mild, but still cutting facial hair relatively close. In reverse order they are:

#3 RazoRock Stealth Slant.
If you ever want to try a slant and you like mild, this is your slant, might even be milder than the other 2 razors on my list.

Any version will do except the stainless steel model (not to be confused with the Wunderbar which is an entirely different razor), that one isn’t so mild, due to the weight. Plenty of reviews on YouTube of the stealth slant.

2. Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB.
I’m sure this has been mentioned previously, and this would be the most aggressive on my list, but not by much, and certainly not an agressive razor overall, just relative to my list. Great razor, no faults, works well with a wide variety of blades and provides more blade feel than my other two picks. This is my go to razor when getting the closest shave is my priority. The level one CG SB razor is good too, but it’s less effective and I don’t really find it to be significantly milder/smoother. Maybe the level 1 with an OC baseplate would be good? I tried to find a lvl 1 OC baseplate for a while, but eventually tired of the chase.

#1. Wolfman Guerrilla SB.
My favorite razor, nothing has been able to unseat it in the last 3-4 years. The CG is close, very close, but the Guerrilla gives me a smoother more comfortable shave, so when keeping irritation low is my top priority, which is most days, The Guerrilla is my go to razor. That said, the CG will cut a bit closer, but with a little less comfort. Wish I could find an open comb Guerrilla as the next step up, but that has eluded me :nonod:

I get better shaves with less irritation from these 3 razors than any of the others I’ve tried in the last 10 years. As always, YMMV.

Granted, none of these razors are currently in production, but they do show up for sale now and then, and you can always ask around, if you run out of readily available razors to try:devil:

Good luck with your search.

OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

(Comfort 9, Efficiency 9)
$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti:thumbup:
$300

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65
(Comfort 9.5, Efficiency 9)

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13 :a14:
$70

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

We now have a virtual tie for 1st Place! The RazoRock GameChanger .68 lived up to its name! It delivered the exact same quality shave experience as my favorite, the Henson AL13. The RR has a more traditional "blade feel", whereas the Henson has virtually no blade feel. Efficiency was identical!👍

Decisions...decisions! 🤔

I'm probably going to end up with three razors...an aluminum, a steel, and a titanium! 😂

Anyway, my Top Three Mild (New) Razors are now:

1st Henson 🇨🇦 AL13
1st RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68
3rd Above The Tie Windsor 🇺🇸 SSM-1
(Honorable Mention Timeless Ti 🇺🇸 Windsor)

P.S. The Baili 176 can't compete with this group! It's a "tug" boat 🚢 If your budget is $20, then by all means go for it. For $13 it's a steal. But, if you're like most people on this forum and you can do a little better, then get either the Henson AL13 for $70 or the RazoRock GC for $65! ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
Quote Reply

OK...let the fun continue! 🪒 :a30:🪒

Single Elimination Tournament....

Introducing the Competitors:

Rockwell :) 🇨🇦
6C

$50
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 6)

Tatara 😘🇵🇹
Masamune

$200
(Comfort 8/Efficiency 8)

Above The Tie :thumbup: 🇺🇸
Windsor SSM-1

$185

Feather :thumbdown🇯🇵
AS-D2

$175
(Comfort 3 😩 Efficiency 6)

Karve :) 🇨🇦
CB

$90
(Comfort 7.5, Efficiency 8.5)

Timeless🇺🇸 Ti:thumbup:
$300

Timeless🇺🇸 AL :thumbdown
$75
(Comfort 0, Efficiency N/A) Disqualified!

RazoRock 🇨🇦 Mamba .53 😃

$65
(Comfort 9, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 BBS 😐
$70
(Comfort 7, Efficiency 8)

RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68 :a14:
$65

Henson 🇨🇦 AL13 :a14:
$70

Giesen and Forsthoff 🇩🇪 Timor ☹1353
$40
(Comfort 4, Efficiency 5)

Baili 176 🇨🇳 :rolleyes:
$13.02
(Comfort 5, Efficiency 5)

We now have a virtual tie for 1st Place! The RazoRock GameChanger .68 lived up to its name! It delivered the exact same quality shave experience as my favorite, the Henson AL13. The RR has a more traditional "blade feel", whereas the Henson has virtually no blade feel. Efficiency was identical!👍

Decisions...decisions! 🤔

I'm probably going to end up with three razors...an aluminum, a steel, and a titanium! 😂

Anyway, my Top Three Mild (New) Razors are now:

1st Henson 🇨🇦 AL13
1st RazoRock 🇨🇦 GameChanger .68
3rd Above The Tie Windsor 🇺🇸 SSM-1
(Honorable Mention Timeless Ti 🇺🇸 Windsor)

P.S. The Baili 176 can't compete with this group! It's a "tug" boat 🚢 If your budget is $20, then by all means go for it. For $13 it's a steal. But, if you're like most people on this forum and you can do a little better, then get either the Henson AL13 for $70 or the RazoRock GC for $65! ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
Quote Reply

If you like the GC .68, then you might want try the Lupo .72. It shaves closer than my Henson by just a tick, but is slightly less comfortable. It's super smooth and cuts CLOSE.

Hahahahahah my laugh in reply above was based on me using the Razorock GC .68 today !
and thinking OK I have to post my thoughts and check the thread and WAIT those are kinda my thoughts !!!

So did a side by side with the Yates and GC .58 both with Gillette Platinum
now I have a 3 way tie for the ones I am liking the most !
GC .68
Yates (with comb)
Henson Mild yet to get the med !

Only did a 2 pass shave today just wanted to get a super comfy what I would do daily comparison and will tomorrow give the GC .68 the super shave see how it handles my trouble areas for comfort on that super 3 pass and cleanup shaves and compare it to the Henson

Now the Henson I need to try one up from mild in the med and I bet its going to be more like the Yates and the GC in feel just from desc but not sure of course :) so the Henson still has its unique position of being super mild ! As in the most mild

the Yates and the GC.68 for me were so alike BUT I prefer the looks of the yates 2 tone but like the classic of the GC ?
Small feel when shaving and so close but tiny feel differences but nothing that made one better just different ! but this has been the tightest between the razors so far (yates vs GC .68)
The comb on the yates of course is unique and now I want to try the GC .68 comb !

I can feel that comb could be handy for a few days growth but this is not my norm I think for the cost of the GC one could get the comb baseplates or the complete razor and be in about the same spot as the Yates so TIE so far again a few shaves more and I will see if one tends to pull ahead ?

I only own 3 Italian barber BUT from those 3 the build quality is all very nice and they are all unique enough I do think they are really good bang for buck over most any other razor and so so so far above the Merkur 34c I have I would say skip the Merkur if you are wondering what should I start with and just jump into a Razorock for a tiny bit more !

I do want to go back now and try the BBS and the Mamba again BUT more for clarity and to find a better final score kinda thing

still want to try a timeless Ti and look into the comb or dual comb timeless in Ti

I also want to see what a GC .68 comb would be like ?
and Lupo I hear so many love ? But its tough as I have to sell used as I cant return

If you like the GC .68, then you might want try the Lupo .72. It shaves closer than my Henson by just a tick, but is slightly less comfortable. It's super smooth and cuts CLOSE.
how would you compare the Gc .68 to the Lupo .72 ?
Also curious if you ever tried the comb plates from RazoRock ?
Yates has really spiked my comb curiosity so want to compare the same plate like GC .68 SB vs the comb so same gap to gap

I have the 6C. It’s the best razor I own...and the only one I plan on keeping (so far). I heard from Kevy Shaves that it’s smoother than the 6S because of the chrome finish. It’s also half the price👍🏻
Several people have said that the 6C is smoother than the 6S. I ve heard that many times now.

In one forum , a Rockwell user posted that using a 6S baseplate with a 6C top cap gave him the best results.

I'm not sure why, but perhaps that 6S baseplate's safety bar acts as in a similar way as the rubber fins on a cartridge razor - the roughness of the finish on that 6S baseplate creates friction.
Coupled with the smooth chrome of the 6C's top cap, (which might reduce friction in the same way as the lube strip on a cartridge razor) the combination might possibly provide the best shave from Rockwell razors.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree on the Lupo .72.
It's not even as smooth as the Lupo DLC.
And the DLC is more efficient than the GC .68.
I personally couldn't get on with the Lupo .72.

What about the original aluminum Lupo?

Heard that was a good one too. Speaking of the GC .68, just got mine last night lol.

how would you compare the Gc .68 to the Lupo .72 ?
Also curious if you ever tried the comb plates from RazoRock ?
Yates has really spiked my comb curiosity so want to compare the same plate like GC .68 SB vs the comb so same gap to gap

Sorry, never used the GC, just read where others have said the Lupo is more efficient. I like the Lupo. It shaves super close and is very smooth. The only combo head I've ever used is the Yates. Henson Ti22 is still my favorite at the moment. Used it today after a 4 day stint with my Rocca. The Rocca is a great razor, but man do I like my Henson.

Sorry, never used the GC, just read where others have said the Lupo is more efficient. I like the Lupo. It shaves super close and is very smooth. The only combo head I've ever used is the Yates. Henson Ti22 is still my favorite at the moment. Used it today after a 4 day stint with my Rocca. The Rocca is a great razor, but man do I like my Henson.
Just received a Henson Ti Mild today.
Will give it a go tomorrow morning for head and face shave.
Hopefully it works out for me.

So decided to go back and do some Multipass shaves I think of 5th element ‘MULTIPASS” when I say that in my head :)
wanted to see if yates or GC would come out on top for me !

My goal is the most comfortable daily razor !

glad I did :)
2 pass going to say the Yates did better and only because it knocks the neck down more level in trouble spots but I am left with stubble light all over with quick daly 2 pass so who cares :) as the GC did great and is half the price
again so close both are awesome for 2 pass ! Flip a coin be happy :)

3+ super shave the GC wins on comfort surpirse to me was so so close but it did win and I wanted the yates to win ! So yeah I had bias as we all do based on looks I love the two tone washed look of the yates !!! I prefer the machined or tumbled or matte look over shiny ?
if I did not use the hybrid base plate I think the Yates would be just as comfortable but then again why pay 2x as much if not using the hybrid for the super shave ?

Build looks etc.
I do want a nice razor !
Both are awesome both are unique !
The Yates and two tone is my fav but not worth 2x the cost of the GC for just looks
I also like the classic look GC is classic traditional nice !
both are very nice stainless builds fit finish etc... way above merkur etc...
Prefer the blade cap setup of the Yates big time !
Also I want to try timelss in Ti and see how comfortable it is compared ?

side note the Henson is still 3 pass super comfort so its not out of the game !!!! And super buff with Henson was super comfort so this is more about narrowing down which one I prefer over the GC to the Yates then bring that winner back against the Henson ! Or decide the henson is unique enough I keep two
The Henson might be the perfect camping razor for me since the comfort for a windburn sunburn face could be superior ! And the lighter weight cheaper cost is easy to keep it with my camping gear and some cremo needing no brush

———————- brain dump time ——————
yates more efficient less comfort but I was using the hybrid comb side quite a bit
Tough spot upper lip
The GC left one weeper
the Yates left 4 weepers but took less passes (comb side)

the two pass I covered above I might go out and say the Yates wins based on knocking down that neck valley to the same level but does that matter ? When I have a bit all around as its just a 2 pass good for the day shave ?
And for twice the cost Of the GC and then when I want a super super shave the GC wins out or I could use the straight bar only on the yates but why pay 2x for not using the hybrid that is what my brain is asking :)
so really this is are you a collector and like choices and unique things or made in US things vs Canada ? or is this just get the cheapest best you can get or have some fun and rotate shavers !
I am from USA wife is from Canada :) ahhahaahah so I reckon having one of each solves that made in problem :)

Budget just want a razor the GC
for unique and options the Yates
for the collector BOTH !!!

I think I answered my question did the comb help level out my tough spots per pass and I am going to say yes and going to say because I do think now the comb is a touch more aggressive as combs can be so many say
and when I finished everything I went over with the comb and did pick up or get a touch more after the straight was done so yeah double down on my for sure a touch more aggressive skin closer feel :)
I do think there is something to a hybrid plate option I am going to have to do more shaving with but its really peaked my interest !

Last edited:
Top Bottom