What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

One reason the GC 68 has been used so much more by me
very good at any angle cap or the bar its just got a great do what you want style shave I do prefer more toward the cap :)
you get a bit of blade feel much like the Med Henson less thann the comb in the timeless and less burn than the comb 68 timeless
its narrow so getting under nose and so on
the ATG is not as comfy as the Henson I would say again YMMV
a huge reason I am having fun with it so so many blades work so well (in the GC 68) which is also a down side as its harder to pin down what works :) hahahahah but really the Timeless is a thing of beauty and sound and just so nice but I find the blades are very critical and or picky so a select few work well the others work poorly
now that said I think the Henson also does well with many blades and is not as picky as the timeless

the GC on the other hand poor blades work but you can tell they are not as good but they do not tear you up or burn you like in the Timeless so for me its very very fogiving
and that forgiveness also I think really lets you feel the blade ! As in 3 shark blades the platinum the chrome the stainless all feel radically dif and you can really tell HOW its cutting your whiskers their is much more feedback of the blade like the razor kinda gets out of the way more than my Timeless I feel at least ? Hard to describe
Ditto to everything @Ckmaul said above concerning the GC 68! Love it.:thumbup:

It's hard to disagree with @Kennyg2019 list, which is very comprehensive with tons of great additional info in follow up posts. Having said that I'll offer my own take because just like most readers of this thread I have somewhat sensitive skin, prone to razor burns and all kinds of other side effects steaming from improper techniques, wrong blades, using razors which I are too aggressive, etc. etc.

I shave daily and allow myself sufficient amount of time for the ritual which takes about 30 min (including shower). I spend about 5 min. building lather in a bowl and prepping my face with pre shave oil, 10 min. for three passes (I like taking my time as shaving if very enjoyable and manly activity), 5 min. for post shave ice cube rub, splash, balm and equipment clean up (I dry my brushes with cold air for about a min and then hang them for at least 48h before subsequent use, I open up razor slightly to let the blade flap inside and pass some cold air through it). Guys, daily, cold razor blade on your face has the same effects as dumbbells for your muscles. It will promote blood flow to your face, tighten your skin, provoke it to regenerate. Use good cosmetic, which in turn will make your skin glow, look and feel healthy, take years off your perceived age (mostly for guys over 40) and make you feel and look confident. "good cosmetics" means products offered by fanatics, lone wolfs who are under constant pressure to provide best possible products for their customers, who are not afraid of experiments, criticisms and/or occasional failures. A&E, B&M, Sterling and many, many others.

Onto the razors (remember please that this is my list), all of them are at least 9.5 (out of 10), mild and purchased with my own money:

#4: Tatara Muramasa (adjustable): comfort and efficiency can be adjusted to your liking. If I could only have one SR for the rest of my life then this would be my choice.

#3: H&C Z074: wow, what a performer! Almost no blade feel, exceptional comfort and good efficiency. In terms of comfort this one wins. This SR is for guys who have very sensitive skin and love to shave daily but don't mind having whiskers back 10-12 hours later. There is one flaw with this razor - it's cost. Does it provide $400 worth of value? To me, as compared to other competitors, "no" but I'm more likely than not to keep this razor. It's fantastic in its own right.

#2: Timeless Titanium .68 OC: now we are almost there. Comfort drops a little (as compared to Z074) but efficiency goes up. You won't have to buff like with Z074. If Timeless was a human, a friend and we were soldiers then I'd want it next to me in the trenches of WWI. That's how good it is.

#1: Henson Ti22 mild: and we have a winner. Z074's comfort paired up with Timeless' efficiency. 3 passes with this SR leave my skin beyond BBS. It's porcelain like smooth! I may like the looks of Z074 or Timeless better but functional accessibility, results and P/E ratio (so to speak) offered by the Henson - for me - top the charts.

One other SR I'd like to try (since a lot of people are raving about it) and perhaps purchase in the future would be the Wolfman WR2. But until then Henson Ti22 mild version is the one.

Blades that go well with these SR(s) include: Persona, Derby, Astra. Blades I'd avoid (even though I was a huge proponent of them previously) would be Feathers and Kai. Believe it or not I managed to cut myself with Z074 wearing Feather blade. No, not nick myself, I cut myself, which considering the SR in use was quite an accomplishment. Last year, while test driving Mühle Rocca/Feather combo, I sliced part of my upper lip off, which hanged there for 3 days before drying off and finally falling off.

These days my go to is AS-D2 + Bic Chrome blade. Tastes change over time. :D

Always looking for the next best thing, but so far have managed to talk myself out of any razor purchase. Usually there's something I don't like about the razor which is either design (e.g. head too bulky, don't like overall shape), has blade overhang, or doesn't get near universally good reviews.

If I find a good price for a WS-D2, I might go for that.

This Weidi Stepless Adjustable is the mildest razor I've ever used. Even fully open I barely feel anything.
1699994419320.jpg

Curious for your thoughts. I am coming from more aggressive razors (like lupo 95, GC 84), but lately I like the milder ones more (GC 68, Masamune, R89).

How would you compare the Lupo 58 versus the Mamba 70? Both in comfort and efficiency? I can get both (from a swap with one of my razors), but would prefer to just get one.

Curious for your thoughts. I am coming from more aggressive razors (like lupo 95, GC 84), but lately I like the milder ones more (GC 68, Masamune, R89).

How would you compare the Lupo 58 versus the Mamba 70? Both in comfort and efficiency? I can get both (from a swap with one of my razors), but would prefer to just get one.

Mamba 70 has neutral exposure
GC 68 has slightly positive exposure
Lupo 58 has more positive exposure (than the GC 68)

Comfort is all subjective but I'm guessing for these 3 razors blade feel is going to be:

Mamba 70 < GameChanger 68 < Lupo 58.

Efficiency if I had to guess would be:

Mamba 70 < GC 68 < Lupo 58

I've never tried the Mamba but I have tried the other 2 and my experience is the Lupo 58 definitely has more blade feel than the GameChanger. I can shave just fine with either, it's not like they are what I'd qualify as "aggressive" razors.

Best of luck with your choice.

Thanks, I swapped my Lupo 95 head for a Mamba 70.

That, combined with my GC 68 and 84 and Masamune should give me plenty of choices ;-)

BD176 is the mildest new razor I ever used that is still capable of BBS. The other one is Parker Variant on a lower setting.

Actually tomorrow I plan on a "shave off" between it and a 1960 Tech I just bought, to see how they compare as they appear very similar.

Top Bottom