What's new

World's Cheapest New Razor: The Sik Bay

[MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION] sorry this hasn't worked out for you.

Obviously the QC department at the Sik Bay factory is on extended leave.

I really had to get a lot of blade curvature to get the cap screwed down.

If yours is definitely faulty, PM me and I'll send you mine [emoji3]

So I broke out the Sik Bay last night in a mighty contest with the 2011 R41:
IMG_7086.JPG

Really it wasn't a contest at all.
A bit like the Roedter 1909, the Sik Bay DOES deliver a great shave but in a hideous cheap package.
And it doesn't quite match the 2011 R41 in terms of closeness because of the guard geometry.

It's fun though!
IMG_7087.JPG

Here is a razor that cost me 99 cents, including shipping: The Sik Bay

It's made of a post-space age synthetic with a partial coating of UV reflective material. That is, it's plastic with part of it painted with chrome-colored paint. With a blade, it weighs 9 grams.

View attachment 708250
And it really is called the Sik Bay. But at less than a dollar shipped, it would be a lot to expect the words "Sik" and "Bay" to be in the same script.
View attachment 708251
Modern 3 piece design.
View attachment 708252

Check out the blade exposure:
View attachment 708253

And if that doesn't frighten you, the blade gap is equally impressive:
View attachment 708254

How does it shave? About like you would expect from a 9 gram razor with a blade protruding like the fins on a 1959 Chevrolet. It's like grasping a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulling it across your face. The result was remarkably close, but it was a slow and frightening experience that left me feeling as though I had indeed grasped a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulled it across my face. No collar on my shirt today, boys.

This is science. We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Sorry about the crap photos. I was still trembling a little from the experience.
You are a better man than I am Gungadin!

:cursing: Unfortunately, this ain't gonna happen. :crying:

To get the blade in, as per the second pic in my post above, took me about five minutes due to the lousy cap moulding.

As I was playing with my shaving gear I decided to load the Sik Bay up again, ready for tonight. I thought the blade was going to snap due to the distortions it had to go through (same as last time), but I eventually managed to get it down and flush with the cap. This time the baseplate studs wouldn't engage with the blade, and no matter how much I fiddled and prodded with my instrument screwdriver it wasn't having it. I GAVE UP. Then it took me nearly five minutes to get the darned blade OUT.

The Sik Bay has made me really sick, and is now in the trash. :facep:

To brighten up my day I loaded the blade into my beloved Piccolo for tonight's shave (it was wonderful to be able to achieve this loading feat in the usual few seconds).

I had a similar experience trying to load the blade. Would spring off the baseplate post when putting it there first and wouldn't sit well for proper alignment on the top cap... until I pushed it down, which made it stay in place and I managed to screw the pieces together. It gave the blade a bit of a curve too, so it was a bit more rigid in the head.
That way, it actually was a pretty good shaver, but getting the blade off was... so fiddly I thought it was dangerous. Had to beat the blade off of the threaded post with the handle to get it to come off. Shame about it, because if not for that, I would have kept it as it was. After that, I just binned the head and kept the handle, as it goes really well with one of my vintages with a slightly smaller than M5 thread.

I have also tried the Yuma clone (which I don't think is actually a Yuma clone, but a clone of a pretty old design - I have one that seems to be made of brass or steel and is much thicker) and I actually had to straighten the baseplate, as it arrived bent. Which I have only noticed after the first shave with it, so had to let skin calm down for a few days afterwards. But after setting the baseplate right, it's actually a really good, efficient shaver. Unlike the razor in the OP, however, much better quality.

For $0.99, the plastic, hinge top Rimei is actually pretty decent too, although pretty mild. Reasonably efficient for a CCS in 2-3 passes when riding the top cap, though. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (has a metal ring near the bottom) is very similar, but has a slightly longer handle and better build quality.

This razor is a) a joke, and/or b) a scam. Shame on you gentlemen for encouraging whomever is foisting these dangerous film-flams off on the unsuspecting.
:001_rolle

This razor is a) a joke, and/or b) a scam. Shame on you gentlemen for encouraging whomever is foisting these dangerous film-flams off on the unsuspecting.
:001_rolle

I don't think the razor the thread is about is a joke or a scam. Like some of us had written, it's a decent shaver. It's really the blade loading/unloading bit that is dangerous. However, there are a few individuals of questionable sanity here (in the very least myself) who like such toys, up to a degree.
Plus, I commend the attempt to make a super-affordable razor. Shame the execution wasn't a bit better, though.

I need a tetanus shot just from looking at it!- The original picture showed what would be shards from the mold sticking out off the cap, that alone could cause a nick or cut, then the blade. (No Thanks). I haven't read all five pages, has anyone even suggestion the origins of it's name? - I'm thinking using it sends you to the Sick Bay.

No, that's what it's supposed to do. Unfortunately the Sik Bay engineers completely misunderstood the concept of a "slant" razor for the new version...

Here is a razor that cost me 99 cents, including shipping: The Sik Bay

It's made of a post-space age synthetic with a partial coating of UV reflective material. That is, it's plastic with part of it painted with chrome-colored paint. With a blade, it weighs 9 grams.

View attachment 708250
And it really is called the Sik Bay. But at less than a dollar shipped, it would be a lot to expect the words "Sik" and "Bay" to be in the same script.
View attachment 708251
Modern 3 piece design.
View attachment 708252

Check out the blade exposure:
View attachment 708253

And if that doesn't frighten you, the blade gap is equally impressive:
View attachment 708254

How does it shave? About like you would expect from a 9 gram razor with a blade protruding like the fins on a 1959 Chevrolet. It's like grasping a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulling it across your face. The result was remarkably close, but it was a slow and frightening experience that left me feeling as though I had indeed grasped a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulled it across my face. No collar on my shirt today, boys.

This is science. We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Sorry about the crap photos. I was still trembling a little from the experience.
I'm waiting for a Sik Bay clone. I see no need to pay full price for the original.

You know I have one of these. Has been sitting in a drawer for many 7 years. Came as a freebie when I bought some cheap shave brushes (which ironically I liked better than expensive beaver versions).

As long as I'm loading my devette tomorrow, may as well run it with the illustrious Sick Bay. Why not? What could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom