World's Cheapest New Razor: The Sik Bay

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by Komboloi, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KeenDogg

KeenDogg Steward

Ugh. Glad you had the FaTip to make the night right!

2. 1Cal

1Cal Contributor

Thank you Adam. :001_smile
    I take it you're just pushing my Fatip buTTon? :laugh:

3. KeenDogg

KeenDogg Steward

Oops!

4. [MENTION=106012]1Cal[/MENTION] sorry this hasn't worked out for you.

Obviously the QC department at the Sik Bay factory is on extended leave.

I really had to get a lot of blade curvature to get the cap screwed down.

If yours is definitely faulty, PM me and I'll send you mine

5. So I broke out the Sik Bay last night in a mighty contest with the 2011 R41: IMG_7086.JPG
    Really it wasn't a contest at all.
    A bit like the Roedter 1909, the Sik Bay DOES deliver a great shave but in a hideous cheap package.
    And it doesn't quite match the 2011 R41 in terms of closeness because of the guard geometry.

It's fun though!
    IMG_7087.JPG

6. You, sir, deserve honourable mention for bravery. Well done!

7. 1) Braver than me
    2) That has got to be the ugliest razor I've seen.

8. You are a better man than I am Gungadin!

9. I had a similar experience trying to load the blade. Would spring off the baseplate post when putting it there first and wouldn't sit well for proper alignment on the top cap... until I pushed it down, which made it stay in place and I managed to screw the pieces together. It gave the blade a bit of a curve too, so it was a bit more rigid in the head.
    That way, it actually was a pretty good shaver, but getting the blade off was... so fiddly I thought it was dangerous. Had to beat the blade off of the threaded post with the handle to get it to come off. Shame about it, because if not for that, I would have kept it as it was. After that, I just binned the head and kept the handle, as it goes really well with one of my vintages with a slightly smaller than M5 thread.

I have also tried the Yuma clone (which I don't think is actually a Yuma clone, but a clone of a pretty old design - I have one that seems to be made of brass or steel and is much thicker) and I actually had to straighten the baseplate, as it arrived bent. Which I have only noticed after the first shave with it, so had to let skin calm down for a few days afterwards. But after setting the baseplate right, it's actually a really good, efficient shaver. Unlike the razor in the OP, however, much better quality.

For $0.99, the plastic, hinge top Rimei is actually pretty decent too, although pretty mild. Reasonably efficient for a CCS in 2-3 passes when riding the top cap, though. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (has a metal ring near the bottom) is very similar, but has a slightly longer handle and better build quality.

10. Tokyospike

Tokyospike Contributor Contributor

This razor is a) a joke, and/or b) a scam. Shame on you gentlemen for encouraging whomever is foisting these dangerous film-flams off on the unsuspecting.
    :001_rolle

11. I don't think the razor the thread is about is a joke or a scam. Like some of us had written, it's a decent shaver. It's really the blade loading/unloading bit that is dangerous. However, there are a few individuals of questionable sanity here (in the very least myself) who like such toys, up to a degree.
    Plus, I commend the attempt to make a super-affordable razor. Shame the execution wasn't a bit better, though.