World's Cheapest New Razor: The Sik Bay

Discussion in 'Double Edged Razors' started by Komboloi, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Here is a razor that cost me 99 cents, including shipping: The Sik Bay

It's made of a post-space age synthetic with a partial coating of UV reflective material. That is, it's plastic with part of it painted with chrome-colored paint. With a blade, it weighs 9 grams.

$IMG_0637.JPG
    And it really is called the Sik Bay. But at less than a dollar shipped, it would be a lot to expect the words "Sik" and "Bay" to be in the same script.
    $IMG_0638.JPG
    Modern 3 piece design.
    $IMG_0639.JPG

Check out the blade exposure:
    $IMG_0640.JPG

And if that doesn't frighten you, the blade gap is equally impressive:
    $IMG_0641.JPG

How does it shave? About like you would expect from a 9 gram razor with a blade protruding like the fins on a 1959 Chevrolet. It's like grasping a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulling it across your face. The result was remarkably close, but it was a slow and frightening experience that left me feeling as though I had indeed grasped a razor blade with a pair of pliers and pulled it across my face. No collar on my shirt today, boys.

This is science. We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Sorry about the crap photos. I was still trembling a little from the experience.

2. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane Steward Contributor Contributor

Definitely scary! Thanks for sharing.

3. troy

troy Steward

Wow! It looks like the blade actually curves up. Sometimes they're just so bad you have to try. Thanks for posting.

4. 1Cal

1Cal Contributor

That looks like fun! :thumbup1:

Do you have a link? I tried eBay but came up with nothing. I'm betting [MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION] would like to trial that one too.

5. It's a "Buy It Now" so I think I can provide the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newly-Safet...437568?hash=item360a80a740:g:3NgAAOSwX~dWi4jG

Key quote from the listing: "Material: Stainless Steel"

Notice you get a 5% discount if you buy two. That's 95 cents per razor, shipped. And it won't corrode like Zamak, bend like brass, or tarnish like silver. Once you shave with it, though, you might wish it were less indestructible.

6. imatabor

imatabor Steward Contributor

Thanks to brave men like you I will never have to try one!!

[​IMG]

7. Handle looks nice and grippy.

Stocking stuffer!

8. I have disposable at my local grocery store for less money...

9. Raven Koenes

Raven Koenes Contributor

Are you going to spring for it Cal? You know you can't resist! :w00t:

10. 1Cal

1Cal Contributor

Indeed you can. :thumbup1:

Many thanks for the link. Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK. :sad:
    I guess I'll just have to be happy with my modified Gillette Super Click.

11. Raven Koenes

Raven Koenes Contributor

:sad:

12. Only $1.35.

13. troy

troy Steward

14. $1.35+free shipping.

15. Two months ago when I was shopping for a high end razor, they were $2.83. With the new lower price, I'd be concerned they might be substituting lesser quality materials.

16. That's "taking one for the team".