What's new

World Series

LA's bullpen needs some rest. What an incredible series.

Indeed they do. But it's made even more difficult when the home plate umpire can't call a game correctly. Close balls typically swung in favor of Houston, causing the pitchers to pitch down the middle or risk going down on the count. There were at least 4 or 5 calls against the Dodgers where clear balls were counted as strikes. I can recall 2 against Puig, 1 against Pederson, 1 against Bellinger, and don't get me started on the strike-call on Hernandez. That thing wasn't even anywhere near the strike zone.

It's difficult to pitch when the umpire isn't allowing them the same calls both ways.

With that said Kershaw was horrible after the 1st and Houston bats are just on fire. Those guys gun for the fences each and every hit.

Dodgers have lost 2 very close extra-inning games. I think the series is over even if they manage to win game 6 somehow. Houston bats are just too hot. Actually, hot is an understatement.

Horrible Stats on Twitter
proxy.php

Indeed they do. But it's made even more difficult when the home plate umpire can't call a game correctly. Close balls typically swung in favor of Houston, causing the pitchers to pitch down the middle or risk going down on the count. There were at least 4 or 5 calls against the Dodgers where clear balls were counted as strikes. I can recall 2 against Puig, 1 against Pederson, 1 against Bellinger, and don't get me started on the strike-call on Hernandez. That thing wasn't even anywhere near the strike zone.

It's difficult to pitch when the umpire isn't allowing them the same calls both ways.

With that said Kershaw was horrible after the 1st and Houston bats are just on fire. Those guys gun for the fences each and every hit.

Dodgers have lost 2 very close extra-inning games. I think the series is over even if they manage to win game 6 somehow. Houston bats are just too hot. Actually, hot is an understatement.

Bill Miller's strike zone is inconsistent. McHugh complained about it in addition to the LA's hitters. When I umpired for Little League games a century ago, we were instructed to have a large strike zone. If we didn't the pitchers would not get anybody out and we would prolong the games! You don't expect that in the Majors, however.

Oddly, after the 8th inning, there were no strikeouts by either side. You would have thought that the large strike zone of Miller would work against homers.

Bill Miller's strike zone is inconsistent. McHugh complained about it in addition to the LA's hitters. When I umpired for Little League games a century ago, we were instructed to have a large strike zone. If we didn't the pitchers would not get anybody out and we would prolong the games! You don't expect that in the Majors, however.

Oddly, after the 8th inning, there were no strikeouts by either side. You would have thought that the large strike zone of Miller would work against homers.

Possibly because of his inconsistency. He might've had a large strike zone in the beginning, as you say. But as the game went on he stopped calling strikes he called earlier in the game which caused a lot of walks. I guess that's the meaning of inconsistency. And yes, I saw McHugh complain about it as well. Combine that with purportedly slippery balls and you have a situation where pitchers just can't pitch.

Morrow is out there taking blame for the loss, but can't really fault him specifically. Can't fault Jensen despite walking and giving up base because we all know he's a 1 inning closer not a 6 out closer. The fault really lies on Kershaw. The Dodgers offense gave him something to work with, and he pretty much blew 7 runs for the Dodgers. It IS difficult to pitch with with the inconsistencies of the umpire and a slippery ball. And sadly pitching was LA's advantage while batting was Houston's. Judging by the scorelines this world series, scoring just got easier and pitching just got much more difficult. We all know who benefits from that.

But regardless, Kershaw was supposed to cement his legacy as a generational player and all time great. He missed his opportunity and once again showed he crumbles in the biggest moments of his career. Whatever the reason for his bad pitching this series is, it's not the first time he's lost important games. This time with the Dodger's offense doing everything they could to give him a cushion to work with.

I wonder if the pitchers are getting tired. A long season and an incredible amount of innings pitched in a short duration certainly can take a toll.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I heard that there were 417 pitches thrown. They're both lucky that tonight is an off night.

I hope the Astros close it out tonight. Yet somehow I feel this Series must have a seventh game, with extra innings, of course. Very enjoyable games to watch; these two teams are battling to the last pitch. Great stuff.

This makes a lot of people mad, but I've thought for years we need to have camera/computer system that calls strikes and balls. Still have an umpire behind the plate to call if the system malfunctions and he would have an earpiece or something that would relay the call to him, so a human would the deliver the call to the field. We have cameras that can drive cars, they can call strikes and balls. The fact is as good as the umpires are and they are good, they still make mistakes and we have the technology today that could make things fair and consistent both between at bats for each team and between both teams.

This makes a lot of people mad, but I've thought for years we need to have camera/computer system that calls strikes and balls. Still have an umpire behind the plate to call if the system malfunctions and he would have an earpiece or something that would relay the call to him, so a human would the deliver the call to the field. We have cameras that can drive cars, they can call strikes and balls. The fact is as good as the umpires are and they are good, they still make mistakes and we have the technology today that could make things fair and consistent both between at bats for each team and between both teams.

I agree, though the baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said the technology isn't ready yet. I'd really like to see a consistent strike zone: chest to knees.

So it's on to Game 7. Of course this Series has to go there. Will probably be extra innings, if the previous games are any indication. Go Astros!

Boy, this series has been exciting. Talking to my neighbors, the series has renewed interest in the great game. As one said, baseball can be an exciting, thinking game.

As is for me and baseball. Boring during the season, but the world series always gets me excited. I do enjoy going to the Triple A team here on the weekends. But to be committed for a whole season is really difficult.

What a great series! I hope the Astros win it tonight.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It was a fun series to watch.

I swing the other direction on more technology around the game. Let's keep it simple.

WOW!! This was the best World Series that I can remember. Not a fan of either team, but did pick Houston since they played the Yankees. I based that decision on two factors; which city would I choose to live in and B. McCann (The Astros catcher) used to play for the Braves and he was one of my favorites.

But either way, I listened to every game except no. 6 from about the 3rd or 4th inning on and boy, they were all exciting games. Lot's of talent and very enjoyable to listen to.

Top Bottom