What's new

Working through a plethora of samples.

Several sample packs of soaps/creams arrived early this week so I will be working my way through them and collecting my thoughts/reviews here for anyone who cares or might benefit. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts (whether we agree or not) and even suggestions.

This week for me:

Sun
- Proraso green; this and TOBS Sandalwood (bowl) have been my only soaps for the last month; wife doesn't like sandalwood's scent, I think it is good (but not awesome); however, something in it irritates my skin. Proraso green is fine: light scent with good lather. Very safe choice, IMO.

Mon pm - SAMPLERS ARRIVE :thumbup:; lathered up Mike's Barbershop in my hand and was very impressed by the yogurty lather and the scent. Looking forward to shaving with it.

Tue - B&M Seville; what outstanding lather, slickness; a nice, clean but not overpowering scent. Post-shave face feel is awesome, almost buttery

Wed - TOBS Jermyn St cream; a 2 yr old could lather this up nicely; my favorite scent so far, very modern and lingers well; dull blade made this not the best shave, but I don't think Jermyn St was to blame. Must admit, left my skin just a little dry and tight hours later, which surprised me from a sensitive skin product. Anyone who thinks shaving soaps/creams have to smell like an old man? They need to get a tube of Jermyn St cream ASAP. I'll definitely be buying their scented aftershave balm.

Fri - Mike's Bay Rum; outstanding lather, slickness; still deciding if I am a bay rum guy or not, but I liked this; the post-shave face feel is off the charts; I keep rubbing my face and feeling this distinct buttery softness (but with no greasy feeling at all); must be the clay? I love it.

PS - My wife also tried out Mike's Unscented, B&M's Unscented, and HoneyBee Spa's Orange on her legs (using my Merkur HD). She found all three exceptional. Mike's and B&M's tallow based formulas were maybe one notch slicker than the non-tallow HoneyBee, but not by much. She loved the Orange smell.

VERDICT: Mike's and B&M seem very similar, they are my favorite feeling soaps thus far. They just take different paths scent-wise for sure; I think I'm addicted to tallow and/or the other oils/clays in these two particular brands of soaps. Post-shave face feel is extremely important to me.

Last edited:
VERDICT: Mike's and B&M seem very similar, they are my favorite feeling soaps thus far. They just take different paths scent-wise for sure; I think I'm addicted to tallow and/or the other oils/clays in these two particular brands of soaps. Post-shave face feel is extremely important to me.

You know the saying, once you go tallow...

Top Bottom