What's new

Working mans straight razor

Chances are that the Col. Conk. razor is good to go and will serve you well. Many people started with them and everyone in that boat who I've talked to enjoyed that razor. I've honed a few - they take a good edge.
But is it the razor you really want? People tend to compromise a lot, too often, sometimes, when it comes to stuff like this. If the Conk speaks to you then that's that. I understand having certain parameters to meet and guidelines to live within - I also understand that waking up and looking at a razor that was chosen only because it ticks off all the boxes....well, that might not necessarily be the path to happiness. But everyone is different, so if it's just a practical solution to a void - then fine, the Conk will serve admirably.
Someone above mentioned a Bismark - I like mine a lot, the grind has nice flair and the steel is on point. Not too expensive and looks more expensive than it is. Win/win/win.
Cheap razors, meh - not interested and not impressed. I've had a ton of 'em and none suit me, not for any reason. I prefer items that have an interesting personality, some history, and factory baked-in style, flair, and intrinsic value.
I would check the BST - and be patient. I have seen some really sweet pieces of well honed history there that I can't imagine anyone not being able to find one that rocks their socks and fits their budget too.

See i thought about the bismarck, but i heard a few complaints that the grooves on the spine can leave marks on the strop and even heard more than one person say their blade was warped.

I am not against something flashy and love beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, but im not at that point yet. I need something quality but utilitarian so if i make a mistake it won't be a crying matter.

I have been told i dont know how many times to always buy the best you can afford, and i agree with that mostly, but when learning a new skill where there is room for error why have the most expensive you can buy?

I will look into the ralf aust as suggested, and i am even still considering the bismarck. I know the gold dollars have been talked highly about by some but i still have a hard time associating a $20 razor made in China with quality. I may be completely wrong too

I’m not a fan of gold dollars whatsoever. Sure, they’re cheap, and with enough effort they’ll shave, but I’d recommend staying away from them. There’s just nothing great about them, sub par materials and lots of corners cut in production; I guess if buying the cheapest thing available and settling for just barely good enough results is your thing, go for it, but with patience and some searching a much better razor can be had for not much more money.

I’ve been pleased with the two Dovo’s I’ve had, a Carre, which was my first razor, and still gets used from time to time, and a 6/8 Bergischer Löwe that also gets used pretty often.

My first straight was a Dovo Carre (upscale Bismarck) and I recently bought a Bergischer Lowe. Both razors have very thin and even grinds, and the overall quality is very good. Both are full hollow with the Bergischer Lowe having a wafer thin-grind. I can recommend both. Not sure I would recommend the Bergischer Lowe as a first razor because of the wafer-thin grind.

@Jbird45 I'd like to give you my 2 cents as I've gone further down this rabbit hole over the past six months. I agree that two of the best bang for your buck razors would be a Ralf Aust or a Dovo Bismarck. Both brands have great steel and are great shavers and if you look at the $100-200 price range you will be getting a high quality razor that should last you for life if you maintain it well. What I love about Ralf Aust razors is they're all well made and there's a razor in every price range. If you want to get a less flashy 6/8 round tip SR you can go with this one for under $150 from maggards. But you can also look at the other models if you want to get a nicer set of scales or a fancier finish. Either way you can't go wrong. I have A dovo Carre Bismarck that I love and use every week as well as two Ralf Aust razors. My first SR was actually a Ralf Aust and even though I've upgrades the scales from acrylic to horn I still use it every week.

The point everyone is missing here is the member wants to learn on a razor, TBH go with a Gold Dollar or 3 mod them to what you want if it doesn't turn out toss it in the bin.
You're gaining the experience in honing why risk doing that to a $150.00 worth of razor, but if you want a razor go with the Bismarck but I will still hold by the Gold Dollars to practice on.

I will even send you one FOC if you send me your address via PM, Then you can practice all you want on a cheap razor.

Top Bottom